Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
aliwolly
Mouseketeer

Best options for a 12 adult party?

My parents have decided to take the entire family to WDW this October - woot! We'll have a large group:
  1. Dad
  2. Mom
  3. Big Bro
  4. Big Bro's Son
  5. Big Bro's Daughter
  6. Me
  7. My Husband
  8. Our 1 year old son
  9. Sister
  10. Middle Bro
  11. Younger Middle Bro (plus possibly his girlfriend)
  12. Youngest Bro

So it's looking like we'll have up to 12 adults plus one baby. I've rented DVC points before, and would be comfortable assisting my parents in planning a vacation doing that if it looks like it would be the best option for us. My husband and I have a strong preference for resorts with more than just bus transportation (we looooooove the BW and stayed there when we got engaged!), but we're not paying for this vaca, so I'll stay wherever they decide lol!

I'm thinking that room-wise, obviously Mom and Dad should have a bedroom to themselves since they're footing the bill. Since my son goes to bed and wakes up early, it would probably be nice if my husband and I could have a bedroom to ourselves with our son. This is where I feel like trying to pick a resort to get the most value for our dollar starts to get confusing!

It's been almost 7 years since I last planned a WDW vacation, so I'm feeling a little rusty! Any suggestions for what you'd do resort-wise for a large party like ours?

Thanks in advance!
Ali aliwolly.com April 89 - Off-site w/Family Thanksgiving 99 - ASMu w/Family Sept 04 Pop w/BF Oct 06 BWV w/BF (he popped the question on the beach at the Poly!) Nov 07 Bonus trip at Swan w/DH! Oct 13 YC w/DH & DS then SSR w/entire clan!
Me DH DS

aliwolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
Kimberle
WL Vet

It really depends on your budget, where you want to stay, and how many rooms you want. Also, what theming to you like?

If you can afford deluxe, you might want to consider staying in the Epcot area. There are more things for adults to do.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level

Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

A DVC grand villa sleeps 12 + 1 in a pack & play.
It has a master bedroom with king bed, a 2nd bedroom with 2 queen beds, a 3rd bedroom with 2 double beds, a queen size pullout couch and a twin size sleeper chair.

With your combination of people, I can't imagine how you'd do the sleeeping arrangements with that bed situation.

I almost think you'd be better getting separate rooms at a resort. Or you could get a grand villa and a 2BR DVC. 2BR DVC has a king bed in the master BR, 2 queens in the 2nd BR & the same sleeper couches.

Grand villa would be mom & dad, your family w/kid, brother's family w/kids. 2BR would be sister, middle bro, younger middle bro, youngest bro & girlfriend. Maybe sister & girlfiredn share the king, other brothers take the beds & 1 on th epullout. You could also put some of the "singles" onto the couch in the grand villa if necessary.

But this would be pretty expensive.

You might also want to look into separate rooms at a value or deluxe, although all of them are pretty much bus to all parks, with the exception of Port Orleans where you can take the boat to DTD.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

Two treehouse villas would work. Each one has three bedrooms -- queen beds in two and bunk beds in the third, plus queen sleeper and single sleeper in the living room. There are two bathrooms in each villa. There is a boat to Downtown Disney.

If you want to be at the Boardwalk, consider the Boardwalk Inn Deluxe rooms. Each one sleeps six plus one under age 3. There are two queen beds, and a queen sofa bed. All rooms have Boardwalk views and come with club level services in the nearby lounge (continental breakfast -- which is very convenient for a large crowd, midday snacks, evening appetizers, soda, beer and wine -- all of which is very conducive to happy family time after a day at the parks or by the pool.)

Also, if you can get a good rate, it might make sense to get five or six rooms at Swan/Dolphin. That way everyone has lots of privacy, plus you are in a great location for Epcot and Disney Hollywood Studios. Depending on the time of year, Swan/Dolphin has very good rates.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
aliwolly
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for the responses! You've definitely given me some things to think about.

I'm not sure of the budget yet; going to get together with my mom to talk about it this weekend. I think I'll try and get a few options together at different price ranges to present to her.

So excited to be planning another trip!
Ali aliwolly.com April 89 - Off-site w/Family Thanksgiving 99 - ASMu w/Family Sept 04 Pop w/BF Oct 06 BWV w/BF (he popped the question on the beach at the Poly!) Nov 07 Bonus trip at Swan w/DH! Oct 13 YC w/DH & DS then SSR w/entire clan!
Me DH DS

aliwolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Just from a one time stay, we were a group of 7....6 adults and one infant .... We did a 2 bedroom villa....wished we had done 3 separate rooms somewhere...

Everyone or family gets a real bed, no sofa sleeper or chair...

Every family gets their own bathroom

Everyone get to control the climate in their room to their liking

Everyone has a place to retreat to to get away from everyone during the day.... Nap, peace and quiet

It may sound unfriendly wanting your own room, but after a day in the hot sun, multiple crowd jostlings, being constantly together get old real fast ..... Separate rooms and you can meet up at the pool or lounge for a free for all during the day but have a retreat if needed,...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
Just from a one time stay, we were a group of 7....6 adults and one infant .... We did a 2 bedroom villa....wished we had done 3 separate rooms somewhere...

Everyone or family gets a real bed, no sofa sleeper or chair...

Every family gets their own bathroom

Everyone get to control the climate in their room to their liking

Everyone has a place to retreat to to get away from everyone during the day.... Nap, peace and quiet

It may sound unfriendly wanting your own room, but after a day in the hot sun, multiple crowd jostlings, being constantly together get old real fast ..... Separate rooms and you can meet up at the pool or lounge for a free for all during the day but have a retreat if needed,...
Agreed, but would add that OP might be able to get adjoining rooms. This way you can shut the door when you want privacy and open it up when you wish to have larger groups together or plan out the day.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Multiple hotel rooms.

One for Mom & Dad
One for Big Bro and his family
One for you and your family
One or two for the rest of the crowd based on how they want to divide up.

Then nobody gets hard feelings because they got stuck in the living room on a sleeper sofa. Or they got a queen bed to share instead of a king sized bed to share. Or they had to keep the kids in the room with them instead of the kids with their parents.

And if you want a door to open between two rooms, request connecting rooms not adjoining rooms. Adjoining only means close to each other, maybe sharing a wall, but not a door.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: