Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Joining in, and enjoying your report!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #17
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple17 View Post
Great TR! We are in 8540 on the Fantasy in 3 weeks! Did you like the room? I read that there is a slight obstruction on the balcony on the left side. Did that bother you at all?
It didn't bother me at all. There is a small obstruction from the outer framing, that did give me a second look at first but it was never an issue. I plan on booking this room again.

This is the room from outside, you can see the frame.

Here you can see the obstruction better.
MrRay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #18
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Cruise Day 2, At Sea

I find morning to be the nicest time on the ship. It's quiet and very empty in the pools and hot tubs. Around 7:30 we hit up the hot tub. The hot tubs are amazing the way that they are out over the ship.

Afterwards we had breakfast in Cabanas and shortly after took advantage of the short line for the Aquaduck... afterwards we were freezing because it was very windy where you get off so it was back to the hot tub and then a relaxing morning of laying in the sun on 13.
There are a lot of great places to relax on the ship for adults, and no offense to anyone with kids, but its great having an adults only jacuzzi.
Lunch was in Cabanas, and it was still a novelty getting lots of food so I'm sure I overloaded.
We tried sitting in Satellite falls but it can get extremely windy there. We watched several people walk up to it and get in for about a second before getting right back out.
At some point on this day I was staring out at the ocean and saw a pod of dolphins swimming along the ship. Some of them were actually jumping out pretty high over the waves.

We cleaned ourselves up and set out to "Skyline" for our 3:30 mixology class. I apologize for the pictures, it's crazy dark in there.

We went in to find setups of 5 glasses at several different tables. We sat with a nice couple from Ohio. Patrick from Australia, who works in Skyline, taught the class. The gist of it is they teach you how to make 5 different drinks...then you drink them. It was a lot of fun and many of the drinks were things that I would never ever think to order but were all very good. And honestly at $15 a person I don't think you can go wrong here. We had 5 full drinks, and drank them all within an hour so it was a good time.

We hung around and chatted for a bit then started to head back to our room. We were walking by the movie theater just as "Avengers 3D" was about to start so we dropped in to check it out. The movie was literally starting as we walked in and we watched the first half hour or so. There was no way we were sitting through a 2 1/2 hour movie after that mixology class. It was nice to try out the theater though, its very nice.

We were walking along Deck 4 outside when we came across this switch on the wall... I don't remember it even being near anything, just kinda on the wall. Thankfully it was set to normal.

We went back to the room and took our first crack at ordering some room service to hold us over until dinner. We got a chicken fajita wrap and chocolate chip cookie. I think it took about 8 minutes to show up to our room and was quite tasty.

Dinner was in Enchanted Garden and it was formal night. People dress all over the spectrum, it was fun. Spending time around the atrium is a great place to see all the activity. The time between first dinner getting out and second dinner going in is very exciting as everyone is moving around and having their pictures taken all over the lobby. I recommend setting yourself up at the "Bon Voyage" bar, it's a great place to people watch and Andre makes a killer mojito.

Enchanted garden is pretty enough as you walk up to it but it's our least favorite of the 3 restaurants. The room changes color from day to night and when you are in that dusk time it gets very orange... its a little unflattering but goes quick.
Food was good... I had Cucumber Garden Roll, Lobster Ravioli, Sea Bass, and desert trio again.
Jenna had Lobster Ravioli, Heirloom Tomato Soup (a big hit), and Marjoram chicken.

It was a very nice dinner again. I don't think we were ever at dinner for more than an hour and a half. It was a very pleasant flow for us and I honestly felt like they picked up on the way we were early on.

Next- Day 3 Cayman Islands

Last edited by MrRay; 01-16-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #19
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
One of my regrets on sailing out of PC was never taking my teen boys to the KSC. They would have LOVED it!
Well as I always say, and I did several times on this trip, just gives you reason to go back!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #20
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Cruise Day 3, Grand Cayman

We woke up early and enjoyed a nice morning on the verandah. I grabbed us a couple of coffees from Cove Cafe, where they had already learned me by name. We weren't scheduled to get into Grand Cayman until 11:30 so we had a nice leisurely morning.
I just realized I haven't mentioned our server, Diartha from Indonesia. He was wonderful. He treated us like we were his only table and would always tell us where he would be working the next day during the day. This day he happened to be in "Royal Court" for breakfast so we decided to try there instead of "Cabanas". If you're looking for a less hectic breakfast this is the place to be. "Enchanted Garden" is a buffet, pretty much the same as "Cabanas", but Royal Court is a la carte. Every time we went in we were greeted by what seemed like the whole serving staff. I get the feeling that it's much less stressful for them because the restaurant is so empty so everyone is in a good mood.

Jenna took advantage of the Children's menu to get a Mickey Waffle...

I think I had poached eggs... It was a nice quieter change of pace.

Some of the pixar crew was out for pictures in the morning so we took advantage. I love "Toy Story".

I was very impressed that I handed my camera over to the Character Handler and she actually took a candid picture of me meeting Buzz... Nice touch.

We sat on the Verandah and watched us pull in to Grand Cayman... we were flanked by another small ship pulling in at the same time.
There was 4 total ships in port .

Now here's a little bit of pride for being on a Disney ship...I look at some of these other ships and they just look sad. I can't imagine being excited for a cruise and pulling up to the port and seeing this... and yes I'm judging a book by it's cover...

You get what you pay for.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #21
Maple17
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRay View Post
It didn't bother me at all. There is a small obstruction from the outer framing, that did give me a second look at first but it was never an issue. I plan on booking this room again.

This is the room from outside, you can see the frame.

Here you can see the obstruction better.
Glad to hear it didn't bother you - thank you!
Maple17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Cruise Day 3, Grand Cayman Part 2, Snorkeling

We had opted to do the "Shipwreck and Reef Snorkeling" excursion. It's relatively cheap by excursion standards, $39 per adult.
We met at the DLounge. They have piles of towels there for you to take.
Off topic here, when we were on the Norwegian Gem last year towels always seemed to be a project. At the pool you had to go to a little kiosk and ask someone for them and they would take your room number, but there wasn't always someone there... it was a project. On this trip there were PILES of towels everywhere. I felt like they were overcompensating by about 100 times. It was great.
Grand Cayman is a tender port, so from the DLounge we were led to a tender with a couple other groups, it all ran very smoothly. This is also the first time that we were able to get a real good, unobstructed, look of the ship. You forget while onboard just how pretty it is.

Once on land, 5-10 minutes later, Disney cast members were there to direct us to our tour guides. It was all very organized.

It was a short walk to a little beach where our boat was waiting. Our tour guides consisted of our head guide, a man from Canada, and 2 other guides, 1 girl from Canada and another from Scotland. They were all incredibly nice and made us feel very safe. There was about 30 people on the tour.
We took a short ride to the first place, everything was in the main port area, so it was like swimming right outside the ship.

The reef was nice, nothing crazy, but plenty of fish.

The water is very salty here, they said it was the 5th highest salt content in the world I think. You can totally feel it, our lips were starting to get chapped like we had eaten a bowl of super salty popcorn or something.

A quick 5 minute ride and we were at the second site, "The Callie". It's a neat shipwreck that isn't too deep, I was able to get down to it pretty easily.

Then they dropped us back where they picked us up. It's a short tour so you are able to still do plenty of site seeing around the port area if you're interested.
The parking lot.

We decided to head back to the ship...
Old 01-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Cruise Day 3, Grand Cayman Part 3, Odds and Ends

When we got back to the ship we were ready for some lunch. I think we walked up to Cabanas at 2:30 and they had closed at 2:15. There are definitely ways of dealing with it but the "lunch window" is probably my biggest gripe on this ship. We ended up grabbing some quick service. We took advantage of the still somewhat empty ship to do the Aquaduck again...but again it was windy when we got off and it was off to the hot tub to refresh.

We wandered around the ship some more. When I had first heard about "Enchanted Art" I thought it was a cute gimmick but didn't think I would appreciate it as much as I did. There are so many of them all over the ship and they change a few times and each one seems to have a couple different animations. It's a lot of fun to go see them all. I even found one that had a pirate ship steering wheel and it was a little game where you drive the ship around collecting things. I played it the first day and never found it again.

Here's an amusing "Disney Detail"... There are a mix of "Enchanted Art" and "Real Art", and sometimes right next to each other. There are lights in the ceiling shining down on them, as you would expect so you can see them. Since the "Enchanted Art" is a digital display it doesn't really need this light. The light shining on the "Real Art" would cast a shadow on the picture from the frame it was in. So Disney added a fake shadow to the enchanted ones.
It's easy to see when one of the lights is out because the shadow is still there.

It's quirky...I like it.

We went to go see "Buckets and Boards". They had done an Adult show the day before that we missed. Maybe it was our bad and we should have gone to that one because the one we saw felt like it was aimed at 5 year olds. They basically banged on some buckets and made some jokes. They also tap danced a little, but Jenna being a dancer wasn't impressed. We hear people banging on trash cans in every subway station in NYC so this was nothing new for us... we left early.

Then we went to O'Gills for some pre-dinner drinks. I had their O'Gills beer that they had on tap. I was a big fan of this. If I was going to do a souvenir
beer glass I would get my money's worth out of this place. I love Irish bars but I was surprised that they didn't have an Irish bar tender. I think she was from Croatia and was only 2 days into her 6 month contract so she didn't seem too thrilled to be onboard. Oh well.

Dinner was at Royal Court. It was great. The french onion soup was the stand out dish here. It's a lovely environment.

We walked up on deck to check it out after dinner. There was a college football game on the funnelvision. Seems like a great place to watch the game. The screen really is incredible.

I don't think someone knows how rope and stanchions work. This made me chuckle.

Another great day...Costa Maya tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #24
melissajx3
Earning My Ears

Enjoying your report! & your pictures are so good! what camera did you use?
March 25, 2012: Walt Disney World
March 27, 2012: 5-night Bahamian-Disney Dream
May 17, 2014: 7-night Eastern Caribbean-Disney Fantasy
October 11, 2015: 5-night Baja-Disney Wonder
melissajx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #25
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajx3 View Post
Enjoying your report! & your pictures are so good! what camera did you use?
Thanks!
I have a canon t2i and used mostly an 11-16mm lens or a 17-55mm.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #26
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Cruise Day 4, Costa Maya Part 1

We didn't have too much planned for Costa Maya.
I stopped by Cove Cafe for Coffee and the Barista had suggested a restaurant in a nearby fishing village to go to. He even suggested what to order and said that he was goes there often and he was actually going there that day. I appreciated that he was willing to tell us where he goes in his off time. We unfortunately didn't end up getting there, maybe next time.

We made our way up to Cabanas for breakfast where we ran into our server Diartha. When we would run into him it wasn't like a "oh hello good morning" it was more like "heeeeeeeyyyyy!!! Bob and Jenna!!!". He made a point to talk to us for a while and give us some tips for the day, even tried to see if he could get us anything like he was our personal server in the buffet. Love that guy.
We weren't pulling into Costa Maya until after 12 so we had plenty of time to hit up Satellite falls and swim in the adult pool. It was nice and hot this day so we spent plenty of time in the water.

We went to Royal Court for lunch. Somehow this ended up being the only time we did this, but it's a great place to go for lunch.
I ordered shrimp cocktail as an appetizer and I don't know if word was getting out about how much shrimp I was eating or what but our server brought me 2.

It was great. Jenna here...I had the Bruschetta as an app...delish. I was ready to eat just that for the rest of lunch. For my entree I got the Bacon Cheese Burger, I have to say it might have been the best burger I have ever had. Now I also wanted to try the Butternut Squash Risotto, just a little bit. Our waitress brings out our food and she says, as she is putting the plates on the table, "Ok dont be mad" So sweet-she brought me a whole plate of risotto. So I had 2 entrees now and had never been so happy. I wish I was not so full or else both plates would have been cleaned

After the rush to get off the boat we strolled off to the port area. We parked next to a Norwegian ship.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #27
Thumpersmom
DIS Veteran

Great pics!!! Enjoying your trip! Can't wait for more!

Next DL trip February 2013
Last trip to WDW June 2012 at OKW
DCL Fantasy July 2013
Thumpersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #28
LisaHK
Mouseketeer

Enjoying your report and pics.
Disneyland Paris - 1992 (opening week), 93,94,97,98,01,02,05,06,07,08,10,11 & 12
WDW- 2001.
DCL (Magic) - August 2013, Dover to Barcelona August 2015
LisaHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #29
Buckeye218
DVC Member since 2004

Was the restaurant in Costa Maya called Fernando's 100% Agave by any chance?
Dis Dads Club Member #85

Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern April 2013 Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern September 2006
Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western June 2012 Disney Wonder 4 Night October 2005

Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern March 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Western October 2004
Buckeye218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #30
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye218 View Post
Was the restaurant in Costa Maya called Fernando's 100% Agave by any chance?
That might be right... He wrote it down on the back of one of my coffee cards but I think I redeemed it for free coffee before copying it down. He said that he would always get a seafood dish with all kinds of stuff, including octopus, and some kind of drink that combined beer and lime and something else.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: