Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LekiaHall View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Sadly, it sounds like this wouldn't work for my family either.
*GT rates may provide considerable savings for your family, though you would still need 2 staterooms. However, they usually aren't offered until after the PIF date so you would need be planning somewhat last minute, which might be challenging with the kids schedules. And you couldn't guarantee connecting rooms. But if your older kids are old enough to be somewhat on their own, it could save.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
LekiaHall
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
*GT rates may provide considerable savings for your family, though you would still need 2 staterooms. However, they usually aren't offered until after the PIF date so you would need be planning somewhat last minute, which might be challenging with the kids schedules. And you couldn't guarantee connecting rooms. But if your older kids are old enough to be somewhat on their own, it could save.
I will definitely look into this option. We hope to cruise in late June, so it's probably unlikely Disney will offer discounts during the summer season, but you never know. Will keep my eyes peeled on the forum to see what pops up!

LekiaHall is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #18
sarbah77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
Also on our last RCCL cruise, it was a soda mug for sale that's refillable. Then you must deal with carrying the thing all over, making sure it's clean, confusing yours with someone else's, etc. From an infection control perspective, I'd rather just pay the $3.00 for a soda at the bar. It's still free with dinner in the MDR.
Yeah, but the mug isn't a requirement. We had a sticker on our card that showed we had the soda package.

In fact, we went on a cruise that was 2 cruises post-noro outbreak and the crew wasn't even allowed to touch them. I can't blame them even a little.

To the OP, our two favorite cruise lines are RCI and Disney. I'm a little more flexible than my husband, but that's what he prefers. We've had fabulous cruises on both and our next two cruises will be RCI.

But. We originally had an Eastern Caribbean booked on the Oasis. I couldn't get over the ports. They looked terrible. Nassau on a Sunday, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. Aforementioned husband is not a water sports guy, so we were really limited. I looked at the Fantasy's Eastern - St. Thomas, ok, San Juan?! Yes, please! Castaway Cay! Absolutely. It was about the same price for a bigger room and bigger balcony, so we made the switch.

sarbah77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
I find it annoying that you need to sign out pool towels and if they're not returned to the desk, your account is charged $20 per towel.
Believe me, I don't want their towel that's probably been in someone's crack, even if they were giving it away.

Also on our last RCCL cruise, it was a soda mug for sale that's refillable. Then you must deal with carrying the thing all over, making sure it's clean, confusing yours with someone else's, etc. From an infection control perspective, I'd rather just pay the $3.00 for a soda at the bar. It's still free with dinner in the MDR.
While you get a nice cooling mug with a soda package (that you have to keep clean), you can also go to any bar or restaurant, show your soda sticker and get one (in a glass). The mugs are just nice by the pool since your drinks stay cool. Pool bar waiters will also refill for you with the soda package. The checking in and out of towls is not a big deal. We would check out clean ones the night before an excursion to have them ready for the next day. You also just put them in a big bin and tell them how many you are returning. So, if you lost one, it is not hard to say 5 when you really return 4. Not a big deal.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #20
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
While you get a nice cooling mug with a soda package (that you have to keep clean), you can also go to any bar or restaurant, show your soda sticker and get one (in a glass). The mugs are just nice by the pool since your drinks stay cool. Pool bar waiters will also refill for you with the soda package. The checking in and out of towls is not a big deal. We would check out clean ones the night before an excursion to have them ready for the next day. You also just put them in a big bin and tell them how many you are returning. So, if you lost one, it is not hard to say 5 when you really return 4. Not a big deal.
My boys were leaving their towels everywhere so I felt like a nag to keep reminding them to keep an eye on their towels. It just made me miss DCL more.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #21
toniosmom
AKV, BCV, BLT Owner!

We have cruised Norwegian several times and DCL once. I hated having to account for my pool towel on Norwegian.....it was really annoying. They were frequently NOT available to check out on the pool deck and the room steward kept forgetting to leave us clean ones when he cleaned the room. It was really annoying. I loved that I could just get as many towels as I needed on the DCL ship.

Having said that, DCL is MUCH higher priced than NCL. And, I can sail NCL out of NYC, eliminating the airfare expense. I can do a 7-day cruise out of NYC for less than it would cost me for a 4-day on the Dream (cruise only), PLUS the cost of airfare. Sometimes the decision is a no-brainer, but I just loved the DCL Dream so we are doing a 4-day this coming March. However, it's only because we were already planning to go to WDW that I am doing this. I doubt I would fly down to Florida JUST for the cruise.

1974 - Offsite 1976 - Offsite 1997 - Dixie Landings 1998 - Offsite 2008 - All Star Movies - Became new DVC member! March 2009 - SSR - First DVC Vacation!
March 2010 - AKV-Kidani Dec 2010 - BLT Christmas Trip April 2011 - BCV Nov 2011- BWV/DCL Dream March 2013 - BLT/DCL Dream April 2014 - VGF/DCL Dream Sept 2014 - VWL
toniosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #22
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I know and appreciate how much knowledge is out there with our members on all cruiselines but this board is intended to be for the discussion of Disney cruises. I see more and more threads relating to non-DCL cruises.

If our members really want to discuss other cruiselines I encourage everyone to ask the Webmasters to make a sub-foum for discussion of other cruiselines. I would love to see a sub-forum board for other cruiselines just like the Dis has a board for Vegas and other non-Disney related travel.

Currently, CruiseCritic is the leader for discussion of all cruiselines and I suggest you go there for discussion of other cruiselines in the meantime. I would love for our members to have their own board here on the Dis to discuss other cruiselines.

Send your request to this email:

admin@wdwinfo.com

Hopefully if enough people request another board it will be granted.

Thanks,

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #23
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

A sub-forum for other cruise lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post

I know and appreciate how much knowledge is out there with our members on all cruiselines but this board is intended to be for the discussion of Disney cruises. I see more and more threads relating to non-DCL cruises.

If our members really want to discuss other cruiselines I encourage everyone to ask the Webmasters to make a sub-foum for discussion of other cruiselines. I would love to see a sub-forum board for other cruiselines just like the Dis has a board for Vegas and other non-Disney related travel.

Currently, CruiseCritic is the leader for discussion of all cruiselines and I suggest you go there for discussion of other cruiselines in the meantime. I would love for our members to have their own board here on the Dis to discuss other cruiselines.

Send your request to this email:

admin@wdwinfo.com

Hopefully if enough people request another board it will be granted.

Thanks,

MJ
MJ: Good suggestion. This makes perfect sense, especially since the owners of DU and the DIS are offering a DISCruise on RCI's Oasis of the Seas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterJohn View Post

DISCruise 1.0 - 8/24-8/31/2013 Royal Caribbean Cruise Oasis of the Seas

I am super excited to announce details of our first ever Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Group Sailing.

DISCruise 1.0
August 24, 2013 - August 31, 2013
Oasis of the Seas
7-Night Eastern Caribbean Sailing

Join members of the DISBoards, WDWinfo and the DISUnplugged Podcast (including Pete Werner, founder and owner of DISBoards.com) on this very special sailing.
For further information about this DISCruise on RCI, see the sticky.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: