Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
Readerbug
Using My Ears

My take, and some generalizations, on the best nearby options for a big family (and where we stay) at less cost, because that's the way we roll:

Option one:
2 value rooms at Pop or Allstars, Fav theme. Good- More Disney in your face, if you like that. I do. Also, if eat onsite or a Dining Planfree or otherwise it's , fun and convenient. Bad. May not get connecting rooms, and that's the pits. Very small tight rooms if spending time there.

Option two:
Windsor Hills. Good- Pool and water slide. Can get very nice, inexpensive condos with full kitchen, amenities+ for99 and less a night. Eating off site and at home saves lots.. Bad- Pscyologically removed, not so many people, nor so strong a bustling resort feel, which can all be pluses, too. Pay 14$ parking a day, same as other offsite places.

Option three:
Wyndham Bonnet Creek- good- same as WH but more themed pools and slides, restaurants, a bit less removed in feel than WH. More resort vibe.Lots of Diser good vibes. Bad-a little more expensive, some timeshare talk to get around, do not deal with actual owners or plan on getting a specific, personally selected property. Same parking fees as WH, though does have park shuttle.

Option four:
Fort Wilderness Campground owned by Disney. Good- Best in America. Best value for big family, can't beat price per person plus the recreational amenities of a deluxe. Price depends. Friendly guests.Will meet your neighbors, kids may make friends. Tents not neccessary. Cabins are fun and out of weather.Rvs and pop up campers are available to rent, stocked and set up. See camping board for details. Nature lovers enjoy the unique combo of Wdw by day, tranquility at night. Just a boatride away from the castle. Bad- convenient eating depends on your personal touring/camping style. Need extra time to really appreciate the resort. Cabins can be more than a mod. Camping itself is a lifestyle. Departure from the mass norm, must examine expectations.One of, is weather. Another is, is camping fun work, or just work.

Our favorites: hands down, we love onsite at the Fort. It fits our ages, stages and interests. Love love love. In second for our big family, are particular Windsor Hills owners and thier wonderful condo homes on VRBO.com. If it were less expensive, we would rent DVC points for AK, but for us, for now, those two give us the best value and experience.

There's other homes nearby to rent nearby. Have no experience with that.
To compare value, a 6- 7 person (baby) Comfort Inn suite Room goes for 120 a night with tax, free cont. breakfast. Two bare bones motel rooms near WDW maingate go for 47 ea plus .

Just try WDW once, any way it comes, and OP, good luck getting them to the castle and under the golf ball!

Me, DH edu IT man, 19, 17, 15, 13, 10, 7.
Readerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #17
theyoungs07
Earning My Ears

Staying offsite gives us privacy, a full kitchen, private pool, room, laundry, and space for adults to sit and chat after the kids crash. All this for much less than onsite. I think we'll try onsite sometime, but I can't see splitting up from the kids or my wife in adjoining rooms even. The villas look nice but not for that budget unless they rent points.
theyoungs07 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
jlsmith376
Mouseketeer

DVC Point Rental Perks

We are DVC members and have previously rented points before becoming members. We rented through David's Vacation Rentals and had no problems. I would recommend them - you will get a better deal than through Disney. The process was really easy and you have an agreement with a DVC member so it's really low risk. Another perk is that your key card will actually say "DVC member" which means you will get pool hopping priveleges at other DVC resorts and discounts at some restaurants and shops. (The pools at the DVC resorts are pretty impressive.) Plus for 2013 I believe they are letting any DVC member staying on points use the Top of the World Lounge at Bay Lake Tower. You can also purchase the dining plan through Davids.

We have a family of 5 and a 2 bedroom villa suits our needs but the living areas in most 2-bedroom villas are small. The exception is Old Key West - either the 2 bedroom or grand villa, and the treehouse villas at Saratoga Springs.
jlsmith376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
mrjef
Mouseketeer

We are a family of seven. Our kids are pretty young (ages: 9,7,4,2,2). On our last trip, we stayed at Saratoga Springs and loved it. It offered so much space and a kitchen/eating area. We just joing DVC, so we will be staying in Villas for the rest of our trips. We did spend one night two values on our last trip. We agreed that we could make that work, but it was nice to have the extra space of the villas. We just felt really cramped in two hotel rooms.
2013 BoardWalk Villas
2013 Beach Club Resort
mrjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #20
d1sneyf4n
DIS Veteran

OP here, thanks for all the replies. So I see that there options for his family. I know they want to stay onsite and spend just around 5k................
Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
mommy2_3
DIS Veteran

there is going to be 3 adults and 4 kids. we are staying at all star sports in connecting rooms. with the money we are spending we are only sleeping in the hotel room lol! if the kids need a break we will see a show or find some where in the park to relax. we are also bringing a double stroller for our younger ones.
mommy2_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #22
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

As a family of 6 we have done:

2 rooms. This is a good option, as long as the Connecting Room Gods smile on you. Usually they do, but you never know. We have had one trip where we had rooms that did not connect.

1 room at POR (we had an infant so we were legal). Would not recommend this to anyone. Way too tight!

An All Star Family Suite. We all loved this one! It was great to know ahead of time we would be in one space. We made use of the kitchenette to have breakfast in the morning, which saves a lot of money.

Rented points for a 2 bedroom at the Beach Club. Loved the space, was not that thrilled with the Beach Club itself.

Off site. We have done this a few times. The key is to get a great rate on a rental van. Vans cost much more than cars, so the saving can be eaten up by that van. Gotta find a good rate.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #23
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

We just stayed at Windsor Hills in October. We loved having a 3 bedroom condo. One of my kids has to have a bed by herself. We will definitely stay there again!
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #24
southernqueen
Earning My Ears

Good information for my family of 7. We are planning a trip for November of this year around Thanksgiving.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #25
Ckania
Earning My Ears

We stayed in a townhouse in Windsor Palms. Close to WDW and had it's own pool right outside in the lanai. Those have three bedrooms and three full bathrooms, plenty of room for everyone!
Ckania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #26
RyMacJ
DIS Veteran

We are doing an AoA suite this May with 4 adults and 2 kids. They are 565 sq. ft., I think.

Offisite April 1987**Treehouse Villas June 1993**Offsite July 1998**POFQ (DisneyMoon) May 2007**AoA Nemo Suite May 2013**Caribbean Beach June 2015

Me DH DD6 DD5
RyMacJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #27
laceemouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1sneyf4n View Post
Wow, thanks for all the replies. He says their budget is around 5 k and going in the month of Nov. I will tell him to check out 2 rooms at the value.
Two rooms at a value or one 5 person room at POR or a deluxe since they have a baby (but that would be tight)

Definitely tell them to check out Art of Animation. Much more room to spread out and so cute!!!

If they want Wilderness Lodge they could rent DVC points or rent a villa with the room discount through Disney.

Or a Wilderness Cabin.

We have 4 kids and brought one or two extra on a few Disney trips. The dvc units are way nicer than a value resort, but I would need to know if that budget includes travel and food and tickets and everything in order to help them.

If they rent dvc they will not have the dining plan, do they care?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: