Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #1276
ekmom
Mouseketeer

Questions about room requests at YC

Our trip is a little over six weeks out. It's our first deluxe stay and we're booked for Lagoon or Pool View at YC. It seems like there's not as much discussion here about YC room requests.

How do I make the request? Phone? Fax? What number to use? How soon should I do it?

And what to request? I understand we don't need to request full balcony. I considered requesting daybed but I'n not sure it would be comfy enough for either of our adult kids to use so I think I'll take the luck of the draw on that one. I know I don't want to be on the first floor. But what kind of view options are there? What does Lagoon mean? Is that the lake? So confused

Thanks for any suggestions! We're really excited to stay deluxe
Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #1277
jonofrio
Earning My Ears

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for our Aug 25 -Sept 1st. Yatch Club CL vacation. How do you keep from melting in the heat? Please, any advice at all is welcome.
Thanks

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #1278
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

First, Robyn, I'm so sorry. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJanFeb2008 View Post
Likewise. Question about SAB - we have young kids (7, 4, 2) - will SAB be too logistically challenging for us? My 7-yr old will want to do the slide and I heard you have to walk across a sidewalk, etc. (not very relaxing for parents?) and I assume I have to stay in kiddie pool area. Would we be better off at a smaller pool like Poly until kids are older?
This really depends. You may have seen the SAB photo thread I put together (and will update in just a couple weeks!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2790323. But to answer your question, yes, kids need to go across the walkway and up the stairs to the slide. And yes, there are lots of different areas of SAB to enjoy so it requires more moving around when kids have different interests. Nevertheless, while we've stayed at several different WDW resorts, we keep coming back to BC for many reasons, including SAB.

My husband likes to take a break in the afternoon, so I've been taking our three boys to SAB on my own for years. I can directly compare those experiences to experiences at other resort pools. For example, during our split stay in October, we spent time at both the CR pool and SAB. At CR I could pretty much stay in one spot and the boys had a ton of fun. But it can't compare to the fun and atmosphere at SAB - just can't. So for us, it's worth a little getting up and walking around.

Our boys love slides and they think the jib slide at SAB is the best at Disney. But even so, it's a long climb up those stairs and they usually go down the slide 3-4 times and they are done with the slide. So even when I had to monitor them on the slide, it's not an all-day deal. The slide they still DO use repeatedly is the little slide at the base of the pirate ship. That one works for everyone because you can catch kids at the end. And before our 6-year-old became a strong swimmer, our 12- and 13-year-olds loved hanging out with him the zero depth entry shallow area. If your kids are anything like ours (and they might be because they are far closer in age) they might want to stick together more than you might think. Managing a couple runs down the slide is worth the fun, in my opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonofrio View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any advice for our Aug 25 -Sept 1st. Yatch Club CL vacation. How do you keep from melting in the heat? Please, any advice at all is welcome.
Thanks
Those misting fans are great! And the psychological benefits of the official Disney misting fan with Mickey on it - even better! Also, we planned our park days to beat the heat. Always at rope drop, lunch ADR so that we can sit down in a cool spot, and then bail from the park after lunch. We spend a few afternoon hours in the pool and head back to the parks (usually Epcot) for dinner. We also develop touring strategies to reduce walking and, therefore, reduce time out in the heat. We love to walk, but in the summer, it's usually too hot to stroll around. Definitely save World Showcase for evening hours! And finally, choose clothes wisely! I only pack light colored shirts for the boys and I wear sundresses and flip flops in the park. It's been quite warm in July and August, but I've never been really uncomfortable.
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

August 2014: Last Minute WDW (ASMu)
January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL, GF, BWI!)
August 2015: DL Half Marathon!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #1279
smellyia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwdork

Thanks everyone for your input!! I think we'll go with the standard view. Either way we're at a deluxe resort which we are really looking forward too!
I have to second the PP on the standard/garden that faces the trees by Epcot. We stayed last May in 4590. I booked a standard and requested a full balcony which I got. I didn't check-in online because I wanted to specify an area. I specifically asked for closest to Epcot woods facing and we got it! I suspect they upgraded us to a garden. I'm doing the same thing this May/June trip. We saw the fireworks from our balcony each night we were in the room. That area of the resort is quieter with a separate elevator close to the side exit that leads right out to the quiet pool/laundry. In addition our walk to WS was like 5 minutes. I think it took us longer to get to the Marketplace or SAB!
Beach Club/Royal Pacific USO May/June 2012
Beach Club May/June 2013
AKL CL Feb 2014
Beach Club May 2014
Royal Pacific USO/Grand Floridian Oct 2014
Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #1280
natebenma
DIS Veteran

: new posters! I'll actually give you individual welcomes in a bit, but wanted to give my feedback to your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwdork View Post
Hi everyone! We are planning a trip to WDW June 9-16 with our first stay at the BC. This will also be our first stay at a deluxe resort. We have 5 in our group, so we need a daybed for certain. The lagoon/pool view will cost about $700 extra to our stay. Is the view worth it? I'm big on the view. My wife not so much. But I'm curious if there any other "perks" to staying in a water view room? Are the rooms with the water view in better locations? Do we have a better chance of getting a balcony if we reserve a water view? Its going to be a tough sell to spend $700 for just the view. Any advice would be much appreciated!!
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input!! I think we'll go with the standard view. Either way we're at a deluxe resort which we are really looking forward too!
I think that is a smart move for a few reasons. As others have pointed out, you don't really have any special perks, or a better chance at a balcony with a waterview room.

Personally, the view of the room is not important to me because my family does not spend a lot of time in the room when we are at Disney. We are at the parks or the pool. But full balcony, no matter what the view is important to me. It would drive me crazy to be in a WV room, but only have a standing balcony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJanFeb2008 View Post
Likewise. Question about SAB - we have young kids (7, 4, 2) - will SAB be too logistically challenging for us? My 7-yr old will want to do the slide and I heard you have to walk across a sidewalk, etc. (not very relaxing for parents?) and I assume I have to stay in kiddie pool area. Would we be better off at a smaller pool like Poly until kids are older?
My kids were older when we stayed at the Beach Club and visited Stormalong Bay, so we didn't have your concerns.

One thing I wanted to point out is that the little kiddie slide and pool area (not the sand one) is right under the stairs to the big slide. So if you and your little ones spent some time in there, you would be in the area while your 7 year old used the slide. Is there someone who can be waiting in the pool where the slide dumps out?

But with the large difference in ages, and I assume swimming ability, I think your 7 year old would want to be in a different area of the pool than his siblings.

There are some detailed maps and pictures of the various areas of Stormalong Bay in the second and third post of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_1981 View Post
Just left from BC with a family of 5. One and only request we made was full balcony and we got it! Couch that pulls out was in our room. We faced the trees towards Epcot. Awesome location since only 2 min walk. At night was amazing!
Rm 2530

Wow!!! Love the picture!!! That is fantastic.

So was the pullout couch different from the daybeds? Any chance you have a picture???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekmom View Post
Our trip is a little over six weeks out. It's our first deluxe stay and we're booked for Lagoon or Pool View at YC. It seems like there's not as much discussion here about YC room requests.

How do I make the request? Phone? Fax? What number to use? How soon should I do it?

And what to request? I understand we don't need to request full balcony. I considered requesting daybed but I'n not sure it would be comfy enough for either of our adult kids to use so I think I'll take the luck of the draw on that one. I know I don't want to be on the first floor. But what kind of view options are there? What does Lagoon mean? Is that the lake? So confused

Thanks for any suggestions! We're really excited to stay deluxe
I like to make my requests, by phone to CRO (the regular Disney reservation phone number) and then I like to followup by phone 10 days before my trip to confirm that my request is noted. I am not aware of a fax number or email address for requests to the Yacht or Beach Club.

Yes, Lagoon View/Water View means looking out onto Crescent Lake or one of the pools. I'm not too familiar with the LV rooms- experts- can you request "view of Crescent Lake" or "quiet pool view" or "view of Stormalong Bay".

You may want to make a request based on location- close to lobby or away from elevators or upper floor. Depends on what is important to you.

You may be better off with a rollaway cot than a daybed- I have heard many reports that they are actually pretty comfortable, but some of the older daybeds tend to be on the smaller size.

Quote:
Thanks
GO TO THE PARKS EARLY!!!

That way you will avoid the heat, rain and crowds which may appear later in the day. Find an airconditioned place for an early lunch (many of the counterservice places- Columbia Harbor House, Sunshine Seasons are two) are very comfortable for lunch break. Head back to the resort for a swim or break and then once refreshed, you will be ready to visit another park.

Drink lots

If you split up from your family for a time, plan to meet back up INSIDE an airconditioned gift shop. I'm sure you will be able to find one or two around!

Last edited by natebenma; 01-16-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #1281
jonofrio
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for the advice. This will be our first summer vacation at Disney, we are usually spring time guests ( March or April ). I'm thinking its going to be quite the experience. LOL.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #1282
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quick Question!

Just wondering if it's neccessary to make a request to be "close to lobby" if in a YC SV CL room. Basically, I know we'll be on 5th floor, but I'd like to be close to the lounge and elevators. I'm not really clear on how the rooms are situated on the 5th floor, so is that a valid request? "Close to lounge and elevators?"

And, if you are close to the lounge, is there alot of noticeable noise?

Thanks guys!!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #1283
disneyfan61
DIS Veteran

Hi Dee & Teena!! You can add us to the list. DH & I will be at the BC on Oct. 4th-11th. Cannot wait!! Going for our 2nd Food & Wine trip.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #1284
mericletwins
DIS Veteran

Add us to the list! Family of 5 (myself, DHS, DD 14, DS 14, DS 13) we have stayed at the BC and BCV quite a few times before, but are staying Club Level this time thanks to Magical Vacations Travel end of August promo. We are reserved August 21-29.

On deck: BC CL August 21-29

BWI 9/12 POP 6/12 BLT & BCV 4/12 POR 4/11 BCV & THV 1/10 CBR 6/10 POP 8/09 CR-MK view 3/09 POR 6/08 BC/Poly Conc./GF conc. 1/08 BCV 4/07 CBR 6/06 BCV 4/06 OKW 10/04 OKW Thanksgiving 03 CBR 3/00 Off-site March '93, March '88, HS Sr Trip Spring '87
Old 01-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #1285
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Just wondering if it's neccessary to make a request to be "close to lobby" if in a YC SV CL room. Basically, I know we'll be on 5th floor, but I'd like to be close to the lounge and elevators. I'm not really clear on how the rooms are situated on the 5th floor, so is that a valid request? "Close to lounge and elevators?"

And, if you are close to the lounge, is there alot of noticeable noise?

Thanks guys!!!
I think your request idea would work. From what I recall, most of the CL SV rooms are pretty close to the lounge. We have not stayed in one, but know someone who has and they did comment on the noise. Last year they started out in the room right next to the lounge and asked to be moved after one day, due to the noise. If you are near the lounge and elevators, almost everyone has to go past your room to get to theirs, so more chance of noise.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #1286
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If it was me I'd go for the garden view room. It is only a few dollars more and you might not want to risk getting exactly what you booked, a standard view. We had a standard view once that was over the restaurant roof and looking at the parking lot. I really didn't like looking over the top of a huge flat roof. Although the room did have a balcony and the rooftop was clean.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Old 01-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #1287
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Refurbishments

So I saw this info by following a link posted on another thread on the resort forum.

I'm not really sure of the source, but the info on the Stormalong Bay slide refurb is what I have seen elsewhere. The info on the kiddie slide is new to me.

Disney’s Yacht & Beach Club Resorts

Now – June 28, 2013: Rooftop HVAC hot water piping replacement will occur.

Jan. 7 – 11, 2013: Yacht Club Lobby rug replacement will occur.

Jan. 16 – 25, 2013: Stormalong Bay feature pool slide will be closed for refurbishment. Stormalong Bay Pool will be open during this time. Guests can use the slide at Luna Park Pool at the BoardWalk Resort.

Feb. 1 – 12, 2013: Stormalong Bay kiddie pool slide will be closed for refurbishment.

Interesting about the hot water piping. I wonder if that has anything to do with the complaints about water not getting very hot, or maybe is something entirely different. I believe someone mentioned a few days ago that they had read about work on the hot water pipes, so there you go!

Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #1288
peaches00
Mouseketeer

Its official! Very excited...you can officially add me to list. Thanks to these boards, we have decided to spend week at yacht club in gvcl room! Big exhale!!!

grand floridian 2002 poly club 2009 port Orleans 2011
royal pacific club 2007
Portofino bay club 2008,2010(x2)
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #1289
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the advice. This will be our first summer vacation at Disney, we are usually spring time guests ( March or April ). I'm thinking its going to be quite the experience. LOL.
The added bonus is that you are right between two parks so it will make getting back to your room that much easier.

You didn't say how old your kids are but if they are younger, definitely do the "Get to the parks right before rope drop" plan. If they are teens and can go to the parks by themselves the "going out in the late afternoon/dinner time and staying late in the parks" is an attractive alternative. The later it gets the more the parks clear out so it's something to keep in mind. The best thing of all for the evening touring plan is to go to a late night hours park after the fireworks. There is a mass exodus of people leaving the parks just as you are getting started and the lines for rides are short again.

The BC/YC is the perfect resort for hot summer touring. It's close to two parks, the pool is to die for and it's got lots of attractive dining options that are close and convenient as well. That mid day break in the pool at Storm Along bay sounds heavenly right now!

Now have you thought about Club level at all? Staying at club level and taking advantage of all of the offerings sounds ideal. You will be back at the resort for that mid day break so it will be easy to take advantage of the food and beverages.

If you want, try to run the numbers for a Dining plan versus "Club level with a few table/counter service restaurants" numbers for your family.

Check back in the last 20 pages of this thread to check out my discovery about club level and the way we got a lot more convenience for the same or less money.

Oh Heck! here's a link: http://http://www.disboards.com/show...3#post46969963

Start here and read forward so see what myself and others have to teach you about staying club level.

I hope that helps and don't worry! Yes it's going to be HOT. Yes you can do the parks and have a good time. You just have to think outside the box and get into "the heat of the summer touring plan."

Good luck and welcome to the thread!

~NM
Old 01-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #1290
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

On my way to YC and I know next to nothing about it.

My mom and I are going to WDW for the Princess half-marathon at the end of Feb. We were booked at GF but with all the construction going on there we decided to switch to YC. I have stayed at BCV a couple of times but never YC so I'm so excited!!

We booked standard view because that is all the was left. Is there anything to request if we want to be closer to SAB? Is there more than one elevator?

Me DH DS(16) DS(14) DS(11) DS(10) DD(8) DD(7)
June 85 Off, July 92 Off, June 00 AsSp, Sept 04 SSR, May 06 OKW, Sept 07 WL/BCV, May 08 BWV, Dec 08 SSR, Mar 09 Off, Sept 09 AKV Kidani/OKW, May 10 POP/VWL/Dol, Dec 10 AKV, FEB 11 BCV (1st Princess Half Marathon), FEB 12 Poly (2nd Princess Half Marathon), May 12 AKV and THV(Family Reunion!!) Nov 12 FLE Preview SSR/AoA, FEB 13 CSR/YC (3rd Princess Half Marathon), OCT 13 CSR (Grand Gathering)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: