Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #2671
2fortheShow
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 69

Ok, so my 11 year old DS and I are staying at POR in August for 9 days. I have stayed here twice before when it was Dixie Landings, but that was almost 13 years ago. Please tell me the great things about this resort and what might be enjoyable for my DS. I am looking forward to it, and don't want to miss out on anything.
2fortheShow is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #2672
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict
 
andrewilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 5,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalovesdis View Post
We arent really big people. Im 5ft, dh 5'7 and the kids are all petite. My oldest has shared her bed before. I think she'll just be happy to be at Disney. The kids I doubt will care. The only ones it will bother are me and dh. But dh is pretty frugal, so maybe he wont care either!
I think you'll be fine - as you say, you're at Disney!!! We've done three adults and one 12 year-old in a new AB room with no problems (other than working out where clothes were going to be stored). As long as you all get along OK I think you'll do fine.

Try to work out a shower schedule so you don't all want a shower right before you set off in the morning - maybe some of you plans for evenings and some for mornings? The double sinks are really helpful too when getting ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
I don't think we will change this time.. only because it was such a nightmare to try and book the package that they've cured me of ever wanting to call again
Looks like our visits overlap, we'll be there 16-25 Feb so I'll check up on you!

Andre
__________________
Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!


For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #2673
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict
 
andrewilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 5,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fortheShow View Post
Ok, so my 11 year old DS and I are staying at POR in August for 9 days. I have stayed here twice before when it was Dixie Landings, but that was almost 13 years ago. Please tell me the great things about this resort and what might be enjoyable for my DS. I am looking forward to it, and don't want to miss out on anything.
Check out the first post in this thread for ideas about the resort, and also the info in www.portorleans.org/recreation.php.

He might like the Pirate Adventure (although that might be a bit young for him at 11, as 12 is the max age). Otherwise, go and see YeeHa Bob perform one evening, and maybe think about hiring a water craft with him?

Andre
__________________
Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!


For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #2674
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran
 
DevonsDisneyMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 2,013

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Well I'd probably start with "please can we have a room in the Alligator Bayou section". And then I'd stop. You can always elaborate a bit with your reasons, and let them know how it would make your stay more magical because you love the idea and theme of the AB rooms, the extra pull-down bed being a real draw for you, the lush bayou, etc.

You're right about storage space. You can store four people's clothes in the new AB rooms, but you have to get a bit more creative than you did with the old armoires. It may mean that things get spread out a bit, and you might even want to consider a hanging clothes holder (which you can put over the rail in the washroom area).

Andre
Thanks Andre, so you are staying I should say all those sweet little things when we check in correct? As far as putting a request on my reservation at the time of booking do you think I should just be vague and say request room located in AB prefer building 16 or 17?

Good idea aboutthe hanging clothes folder. Does the AB only have the 3 drawers located under the murphy bed?
__________________
DevonsDisneyMom is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #2675
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict
 
andrewilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 5,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonsDisneyMom View Post
Thanks Andre, so you are staying I should say all those sweet little things when we check in correct? As far as putting a request on my reservation at the time of booking do you think I should just be vague and say request room located in AB prefer building 16 or 17?

Good idea aboutthe hanging clothes folder. Does the AB only have the 3 drawers located under the murphy bed?
Yes, just ask for an AB room, ideally in 16 or 17 if possible, with your main room booking. Then, a few days before you arrive, send a fax directly to the resort elaborating a little if you like and saying all the sweet little things. You can also ask at the front desk when you get there if you are not happy with what's been assigned for you.

Yes, the AB rooms only have the three drawers under the Murphy bed, but there are also some shelves by the fridge, over the murphy bed, over the clothes rail area and under the sink - plus a bedside table with some space too.

Andre
__________________
Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!


For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #2676
germ539
Goofy is my favorite
 
germ539's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Too far from Goofy
Posts: 401

arcades

Does POR's arcade offer prizes or are they just play for fun, do the cards work at all the arcades or just the one that you are staying at?

Glad the prices have sales now, more money to save on staying but more money to spend on stuff
__________________
Many trips - offsite
1995 - Dixie Landings
2007 - Old Key West
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
germ539 is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #2677
pixxi
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 313

We stayed at POR last year and on Sunday they had the arcade having free games. Is it free all Sundays?
pixxi is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #2678
jmw33
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 93

waterslide

We will be arriving at POR on Jan 30th and would like to use that day to hang at the resort and swim (weather permitting of course). I thought that I remember reading somewhere that the waterslide at the main pool was going to be closed that day for refurbishment but now can't seem to find that anywhere. Does anyone know if that will no longer be closing the slide? My DS6 loves the slide so it would be great if it were going to be open on our pool day. Thanks in advance.
jmw33 is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #2679
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran
 
DevonsDisneyMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 2,013

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Yes, just ask for an AB room, ideally in 16 or 17 if possible, with your main room booking. Then, a few days before you arrive, send a fax directly to the resort elaborating a little if you like and saying all the sweet little things. You can also ask at the front desk when you get there if you are not happy with what's been assigned for you.

Yes, the AB rooms only have the three drawers under the Murphy bed, but there are also some shelves by the fridge, over the murphy bed, over the clothes rail area and under the sink - plus a bedside table with some space too.

Andre
Thank you so much!
__________________
DevonsDisneyMom is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #2680
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict
 
andrewilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 5,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw33 View Post
I thought that I remember reading somewhere that the waterslide at the main pool was going to be closed that day for refurbishment but now can't seem to find that anywhere.
Someone on my site mentioned the dates 7-Jan-2013 to 1-Feb 2013 for waterslide closure at POR, but I've not heard anything more about it, nor anything from folks who are there now.

Could anyone onsite at the moment check for us maybe?

Andre
__________________
Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!


For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #2681
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon
 
Venomhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 4,690

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Someone on my site mentioned the dates 7-Jan-2013 to 1-Feb 2013 for waterslide closure at POR, but I've not heard anything more about it, nor anything from folks who are there now.

Could anyone onsite at the moment check for us maybe?

Andre
I have heard this also Andre.
Venomhatch is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #2682
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran
 
Victoriasmom98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Augusta, Maine
Posts: 2,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post

I've been spotted!

I don't think we will change this time.. only because it was such a nightmare to try and book the package that they've cured me of ever wanting to call again
OH, so THIS is where she's been hiding out.........
Victoriasmom98 is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #2683
pigletto
DIS Veteran
 
pigletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,969

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
I think you'll be fine - as you say, you're at Disney!!! We've done three adults and one 12 year-old in a new AB room with no problems (other than working out where clothes were going to be stored). As long as you all get along OK I think you'll do fine.

Try to work out a shower schedule so you don't all want a shower right before you set off in the morning - maybe some of you plans for evenings and some for mornings? The double sinks are really helpful too when getting ready.



Looks like our visits overlap, we'll be there 16-25 Feb so I'll check up on you!

Andre
Oh that's neat!! I'll make sure to wave hello if we see you
Fingers crossed for decent weather
__________________
pigletto is online now  
Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #2684
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict
 
andrewilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 5,142

OK, I did a bit of hunting, and here's the info on the Riverside pools for January:

The Ol’ Man Island swimming pool slide at Port Orleans Riverside will be closed from 7th January until 1st February 2013. The pool itself will remain open as normal though, it is only the slide that is undergoing maintenance. The Port Orleans French Quarter pool and slide will be fully open during this time though, and guests from Riverside are always welcome to use it.

Also, Alligator Bayou quiet pool #2 (the pool located near to buildings 24-28) will also be closed for maintenance work from 23rd January until 26th January 2013. Both of the other quiet pools in the Alligator Bayou area, along with three other pools at the resort, will remain open as normal during this period.


Andre
__________________
Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!


For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #2685
wdwagain518
Mouseketeer
 
wdwagain518's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 124

14 more days until we arrive back at POR! Can't wait!
__________________
CSR/AKV December 2014 POR December 2013 POR Jan/Feb 2013 POR Sept 2012 CSR Jan/Feb 2012 POR Sept 2011

wdwagain518 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: