Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #76
Jblever
Earning My Ears

We are taking our first DCL on Valentines day. We will have our two DDs with us. So great to hear that we could one day do this alone and still have an awesome time!
Jblever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #77
figment52
Oh man, I checked out the website only to discover that I am Older than Peeps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dizney View Post
Oh, OK Joe's - that's my favorite place! We met someone here on the DIS boards who was going on our cruise from Blue Springs! What are the odds?

...so are you letting anyone know you're a Chiefs fan? It might not be the year to do that.
I have family in Blue Springs - does that count for anything?

I am loving your report. Thanks for doing it.
figment52 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #78
Dave Dizney
Super-Duper organized Ultimate Disney Fan!
And Travel Channel Television Star!
Possibly a hitchhiking ghost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment52 View Post
I have family in Blue Springs - does that count for anything?

I am loving your report. Thanks for doing it.
Oh, it counts! DW is a teacher there, and they have a blue spring ...somewhere, I'm sure.
Dave Dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #79
indyxray5
Earning My Ears

Still really loving this report! Only 10 days now until we leave Indiana my question, we are going with DD 8 and DD 5. Do you have to pay to shop, have lunch, or just look around inside Atlantis? We were thinking about checking out the Atlantis Resort and then going to a place called the Fish Fry ... Not sure yet
indyxray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #80
Dave Dizney

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyxray5 View Post
Still really loving this report! Only 10 days now until we leave Indiana my question, we are going with DD 8 and DD 5. Do you have to pay to shop, have lunch, or just look around inside Atlantis? We were thinking about checking out the Atlantis Resort and then going to a place called the Fish Fry ... Not sure yet
If you go around the back way like we did, you can access everything we photographed (see some fish, walk around the inside and outside shops, grab a bite or drink near the beach) for nuttin' (expect the price of food and what your significant other makes you buy - word of warning - if you're able to buy anything in the Gucci or Versace shops, you shouldn't have to worry about $$).

They won't let you in the water park, aquarium, or grand entry of Atlantis (because there are aquariums there), but most other places are public access.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #81
indyxray5
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much! Can't wait to read more of your report
indyxray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #82
RMAMom
DIS Veteran

Dave, if you don't mind I'd like to ask you a few questions about late seating.

We are celebrating our 29th anniversary with our first cruise in March and have been assigned second seating. Can I ask how it was for you and your wife? At home we are up at 4 AM and usually in bed by 9 or 9:30 PM so I am a little concerned that we are going to be exhausted to the point of not enjoying it. What time did you usually finish with dinner each night?

RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #83
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Forgot to ask this...

Dave,

Please ask your lovely wife where she got her sandals she wore on Day 1.
They are adorable
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #84
figment52
Oh man, I checked out the website only to discover that I am Older than Peeps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dizney View Post
Oh, it counts! DW is a teacher there, and they have a blue spring ...somewhere, I'm sure.
OMG my SIL taught for 30 years in Blue Springs - mostly 1st grade. She retired a few years ago. Small World.
figment52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #85
Dave Dizney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAMom View Post
Dave, if you don't mind I'd like to ask you a few questions about late seating.

We are celebrating our 29th anniversary with our first cruise in March and have been assigned second seating. Can I ask how it was for you and your wife? At home we are up at 4 AM and usually in bed by 9 or 9:30 PM so I am a little concerned that we are going to be exhausted to the point of not enjoying it. What time did you usually finish with dinner each night?
We really liked the late seating - going first to the show and then to dinner was fun and not as hectic as the more "child-friendly" times.

That being said, my DW needs to eat ON TIME. We slowly got into the routine of eating later before the trip, and took an afternoon snack each day (that's the reason you see her eating pizza often). Having food available at all times was helpful for her making it to the later dinner time. Dinner takes a while to get through - we started at 8:15 and were usually done around 9:30-9:40. I've heard in the earlier seating they hurry you out in order to get to the later seating crowd - not the case in the later seating.

We stayed up till around midnight each night and got up by 8:00 each morning, and were fine - never sleepy!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #86
Dave Dizney

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
Forgot to ask this...

Dave,

Please ask your lovely wife where she got her sandals she wore on Day 1.
They are adorable
She says she got them at Kohls last April.

I got my shoes at Payless - I'm sure you were going to ask that, too.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #87
Dave Dizney

Part 10 – Day 4 afternoon

After a couple hours, we opted to do lunch (as recommended on these boards) at the Serenity Bay location – it was mostly empty.

I started prepping my plate for a hamburger, but the cook recommended I take the rib eye. It was very thin cut and I thought it would be tough. Au contraire! It was one of my favorite meals of the trip!

Fresh fruit – fresh veggies – and the BAC (big *** cookie) with banana ice cream to top it off? Yes, please!

Next, we had reserved some snorkeling supplies and made the trek over to the hut and donned the equipment.

We put the camera in a new waterproof sleeve we bought just for this trip, and began to walk out. DW, who had never been snorkeling, began to panic just a bit – I thought we might have to go back, but then we met this guy.

He was so interesting, DW forgot about her panic. Later a woman would come by us saying “Enjoy that fish while you can – you won’t see much more.” I dislike grumpy people – and OH, was she WRONG. Here’s a few shots of what we saw in our 1.5 hour snorkel adventure!

Those photos (which I have dozens more) don’t show all the different kinds of fish we saw. It was amazing!

Afterward, we headed back to Serenity Bay – and got a couple of nice little drinks.

…and generally just soaked up the sun the rest of the day.

…then we made our trip back to the ship – wishing we could stay there for a few more days, but we had to get ready for our Palo night! We also had to pack so we could get our luggage ready for pickup.

Next..., our last night at Palo!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #88
Jessbell34
Mouseketeer

Oh, I love your trip report so far! I was in tears laughing during your spa adventure and your hilarious farewell from the sleeping lady as you were leaving! Ha! I am a Missouri native too! We live in Springfield, MO. My husband and I will be boarding the Dream on January 31 (my birthday) for a three night cruise. We are dreaming of our day at Serenity Bay! We honeymooned there 5 years ago (on the Wonder) and have been anxious to get back. That place is one of our favorite places on the planet! Can't wait to read more!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #89
Dave Dizney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessbell34 View Post
Oh, I love your trip report so far! I was in tears laughing during your spa adventure and your hilarious farewell from the sleeping lady as you were leaving! Ha! I am a Missouri native too! We live in Springfield, MO. My husband and I will be boarding the Dream on January 31 (my birthday) for a three night cruise. We are dreaming of our day at Serenity Bay! We honeymooned there 5 years ago (on the Wonder) and have been anxious to get back. That place is one of our favorite places on the planet! Can't wait to read more!
Love Springfield - hope the tornado's left you unscathed down there! Hope your cruise has as great weather as ours did - it was wonderful!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #90
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

I love the steak at Serenity Bay! That and the mango...I'm surprised there was any mango left for you because I was there about 11:30 and must have had about 4 plate fulls!! I made an ice cream cookie sundae while I was there!! Soft serve on top of that cookie was amazing!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: