Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!

Question for those who left late on the Magic

I have a question for those of you that left late on the Magic last week due to fog (I know you aren't back yet, but if I don't post this now I may forget to )Was anyone allowed to be dropped off at the port at the "normal" port arrival time? ie 11am I ask because we have hired transportation from a hotel near IAH to the port the morning of our sailing, and we are a party of 12 so we rented a limo bus and I can't imagine being able to change that reservation so easiely, if they have it booked for later in the day we would still have to go in the morning. If you were allowed into the port did they have any activities or characters out to pass the time, was there plenty of room for everyone and was food available? I hope you had a great cruise....
Old 01-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

I can tell you from the couple times we have been fog-delayed in Galveston that when they say "don't show up before 4pm", or 8pm, or whatever, they mean it. They had everything closed up and you couldn't get anywhere near the terminal. I think the only way you would be allowed in the terminal if there was a delay would be if the ship were already there and turned over, and *then* fog rolled in, and in that case they would just have everyone board the ship and wait it out there.

In our cases, the ship was delayed coming into the port because of fog, so disembarkation was way delayed, so our embarkation was way way delayed, and then the fog rolled in again and we couldn't sail back out until the middle of the night.

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

No experience with Galveston, but when Port Canaveral was closed due to hurricanes, it was CLOSED....as in no one got in thru the gates to the property, much less the terminal building.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran

We were on the Jan 4-12. We got off the ship around 3:45 and there were some people waiting in the terminal to board, but not very many.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Apple View Post
We were on the Jan 4-12. We got off the ship around 3:45 and there were some people waiting in the terminal to board, but not very many.
gosh, we got off about the same time and i thought what we saw of inside the boarding area of the port looked pretty full. additionally cars were lined up (and had been for hours per the parking staff) on the streets waiting for parking spots in lots.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
webzila
Earning My Ears

A few years ago we had to deal with the fog situation in Galveston. We live nearby and were dropped off. Even though the ships were waiting out in the bay we were allowed to drive up to the terminal. They were also allowing people to check in their bags. We went to the strand which is right across the street. You can kill a few hours there and there are also places you can sit and wait.
2010 - Carnival Conquest (Galveston)
2011 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas (Galveston)
2011 - Carnival Conquest (Galveston)
2012 - NCL Spirit (New Orleans)

Upcoming:
March 2013 - Disney Magic (Galveston) [...with a new 10 month old at the time of sailing..yay]
webzila is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: