Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Maple17
Mouseketeer

Is Budget at MCO chaotic?

Trying to decide what to do for our upcoming Feb cruise. We arrive mid-afternoon. A one-way rental from MCO to Port Canaveral is about $50 (not incl gas). Is it a huge hassle to get the car at MCO, how long would we be waiting? We will have 2 children with us.

DH would rather use a car service to avoid the gong show (his words), approx $90 is what I have priced out for that.

Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks!
Maple17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Brittmarie04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple17
Trying to decide what to do for our upcoming Feb cruise. We arrive mid-afternoon. A one-way rental from MCO to Port Canaveral is about $50 (not incl gas). Is it a huge hassle to get the car at MCO, how long would we be waiting? We will have 2 children with us.

DH would rather use a car service to avoid the gong show (his words), approx $90 is what I have priced out for that.

Thanks!
I can let you know soon. I'll be doing this on Sunday morning. I'm anxious to see other responses. The Disney bus transfer would coast us $110 one way. Got rental car for $26 then maybe $15 bucks to top off gas. Hoping it's easy and hassle free
Brittmarie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

I wouldn't say a "huge hassle" but there was a wait. We didn't do Budget though, I think it was Thrifty. All car rentals are in the same area but ours seemed to be almost the very last counter so it was a long walk. It somewhat depends on how many other travelers are trying to rent cars at the same time. And of course, if you've rented from that agency previously so you're already in their system it's a little shorter time at the counter. All told, probably 30-45 minutes from when we collected our luggage until we left the parking garage, but it seemed like a lot longer.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

When renting from Budget at MCO, be sure you have signed up for Fastbreak. This allows you to skip the line at MCO terminal and proceed across the street to the garage. You'll sign the papers there and get your key.

The line at MCO the time we didn't do this was about 90 minutes and was a PAIN. With Fastbreak, it takes no time at all....
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple17 View Post

Thanks!
There is no wait at all if you are a Budget Fastbreak member. It is easy peasy at MCO, and joining Fastbreak is a snap!

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
When renting from Budget at MCO, be sure you have signed up for Fastbreak. This allows you to skip the line at MCO terminal and proceed across the street to the garage. You'll sign the papers there and get your key.

The line at MCO the time we didn't do this was about 90 minutes and was a PAIN. With Fastbreak, it takes no time at all....
Jinx! I think great mines think alike!
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post

There is no wait at all if you are a Budget Fastbreak member. It is easy peasy at MCO, and joining Fastbreak is a snap!
I'm a Budget Fastbreak member. During my last rental at MCO in November, it took around 30 minutes to get the car because there was only one clerk at the garage counter, and no separate Fastbreak line. Everyone had to wait in the same line.

Also, after we got to the car we noticed some damage that we wanted documented. So it was back to the garage counter and another wait in line.

YMMV

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
MEK
DIS Veteran

My husband and I rent cars from MCO all the time. I rent from who is the cheapest, so I have rented from Budget on several occasions. One of us goes to the luggage carousel and the other picks up the car. My husband was in the garage picking out the car before my luggage was off the carousel on our last trip and it was Budget.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Weedy
DIS Veteran

The car service would be better when you get to the port. They will just drop you off right at the port. With the rental car you will have to drop the car off at Budget then take a shuttle bus ( sometimes long lines) to the port.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
Maple17
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittmarie04 View Post
I can let you know soon. I'll be doing this on Sunday morning. I'm anxious to see other responses. The Disney bus transfer would coast us $110 one way. Got rental car for $26 then maybe $15 bucks to top off gas. Hoping it's easy and hassle free
Yes, please let me know. $26, wow, good price!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
Maple17
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post

Will definitely sign up for Fastbreak. Can we return the car that evening in Cape Canaveral? I imagine the office closes at the end of the business day. We are staying at Country Inn and it would be nice to return the car the day we get there and use the hotel's shuttle to the port in the morning.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #12
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Is there a fee to sign up for Fastbreak, or any other requirement to utilize it? Or is it just a simple signup online that anyone can do?

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

The rental's not a huge hassle and the return is quick and easy too. To me, the tolls are extremely confusing. The counter people don't give you any warning or information up front on which lanes to use either. I'll probably have several fines on my card when the statement comes through, but I figure it was better than causing an accident when we were unsure if we were in the right lane or not.

It shouldn't take you but a couple gallons fuel to get to Cape Canaveral from MCO. There is a station just past the ports and right before the Budget office. I'm not sure what their hours are, but when we went at the beginning of the month, I dropped the family off at the port and took the car back to Budget about 10:40 am. It was easier to catch the rental shuttle by myself with no luggage and the family had a spot in line at security. They got lined up in the parking garage waiting for security to open and by the time I got back on the shuttle bus, the gate opened at the bottom. I ended up beating them through security and into the terminal.
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: