Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #946
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
I'm going to do Bridge to 10K also but not right away. I think I'm going to try to get to running 5Ks 3 times per week and then start working off shaving time off my runs. Once I get them into a reasonable time frame then I'll start on the 10K training.

I need to get busy and start finding some 5Ks that I want to run now!
That's my plan. I figure I'll focus on 5K improvements between now and the Expedition Everest Challenge at the beginning of May. Then I'll start the Bridge to 10K, because I have this fantasy of maybe running the Tower of Terror 10 miler in September!

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ September 19-20 Solo Trip - Wilderness Lodge
MamaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #947
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Actually, the best way to work on 5k speed as a beginning is to begin to lengthen your long run.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #948
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Actually, the best way to work on 5k speed as a beginning is to begin to lengthen your long run.
Awesome advice. Thank you!

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
Old 01-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #949
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrush View Post
Awesome advice. Thank you!
No problem. It mostly has to do with endurance. If the furthest you've ever run is 5k, it's going to be an obstacle to get there every time. If you are doing 5 or 6 mile runs once a week, your 5k becomes easier in comparison.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #950
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Would you recommend adding 2 minutes each run (still doing 3 runs per week)?

As it stands now, I'm barely hitting 2 miles if I run straight through both cool downs. (as of last week that was roughly 38 minutes for 2 miles). I was just thinking of tacking on a little bit more time each run until I actually hit 3.1 consistantly.

My blog!!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #951
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
That's my plan. I figure I'll focus on 5K improvements between now and the Expedition Everest Challenge at the beginning of May. Then I'll start the Bridge to 10K, because I have this fantasy of maybe running the Tower of Terror 10 miler in September!
Oh wow that is totally my dream to run that one too! Sheesh at this point ANY Disney Race!!

My blog!!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #952
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
When I finished it i did bridge to 10k
Does this program just have you running the whole time or does it go back to the walk/run intervals?

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #953
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm going to do Bridge to 10K also but not right away. I think I'm going to try to get to running 5Ks 3 times per week and then start working off shaving time off my runs. Once I get them into a reasonable time frame then I'll start on the 10K training.

I need to get busy and start finding some 5Ks that I want to run now!
That's what I was thinking I would do, but after seeing some other advice, maybe I will just move on. Of course I have to FINISH the C25k first

Quote:
I think that is a great fantasy to have! My current fantasy is running the food and wine half! I think it's a stretch for this year, but maybe next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Thanks for the advice! Did you use any of these programs to start your running or did you just go out and do it?

Well, today I am officially half way through the C25k program. I visited my in-laws in Puerto Rico over the weekend and did my run there. I live in NY, so it has been cold and windy since I started this program. The heat and humidity were a welcome change to my bones, but it definitely slowed my time. And they are in a very hilly area, so that was new to this Long Island (read: flat) girl! But I did it!

Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #954
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
That's what I was thinking I would do, but after seeing some other advice, maybe I will just move on. Of course I have to FINISH the C25k first

I think that is a great fantasy to have! My current fantasy is running the food and wine half! I think it's a stretch for this year, but maybe next year!

Thanks for the advice! Did you use any of these programs to start your running or did you just go out and do it?

Well, today I am officially half way through the C25k program. I visited my in-laws in Puerto Rico over the weekend and did my run there. I live in NY, so it has been cold and windy since I started this program. The heat and humidity were a welcome change to my bones, but it definitely slowed my time. And they are in a very hilly area, so that was new to this Long Island (read: flat) girl! But I did it!
Congrats! I'm running on my treadmill right now, but I know before my EEC race, I'll move it outdoors at least a month a head of time. I'm spoiled having the treadmill set my pace for me...

Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #955
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post

Oh my goodness that just sounds like a majestic place to run, despite the heat! Talk about a change of scenery!

Quote:
Congrats! I'm running on my treadmill right now, but I know before my EEC race, I'll move it outdoors at least a month a head of time. I'm spoiled having the treadmill set my pace for me...
Oh that's a great idea!

We have had nothing but rain here for almost 2 weeks straight. I miss the sun! So I'm headed back to the gym tonight to run. But today marks W9D1! If the schedule goes as planned, I will be a graduate of C25K on Saturday!

My blog!!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #956
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh my goodness that just sounds like a majestic place to run, despite the heat! Talk about a change of scenery!

This was my "track" and my view - that's the Caribbean sea out there.

We have had nothing but rain here for almost 2 weeks straight. I miss the sun! So I'm headed back to the gym tonight to run. But today marks W9D1! If the schedule goes as planned, I will be a graduate of C25K on Saturday!
Congrats on your upcoming graduation!

Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #957
n5749w
Mouseketeer

I did w1d2 tonight. I feel good! Can't wait to be on w9 though! Congrats to all!
Majesty of the Seas 2009 (Abigail's and Mom's first)
Carnival Triumph 2010 (Last minute cruise)
Disney Dream 2013 (Last minute cruise and Olivia's first)
Disney Fantasy 2014 (Olivia's Birthday Cruise and Mike and Becky's first)
Disney Magic 2015 (Olivia's Birthday Cruise)
n5749w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 AM   #958
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5749w
I did w1d2 tonight. I feel good! Can't wait to be on w9 though! Congrats to all!
Good for you! Congrats on starting the program!!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #959
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5749w View Post
Just a couple of days ahead of you here... W2d1 in the bag last night. We can so do this!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #960
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just a couple of days ahead of you here... W2d1 in the bag last night. We can so do this!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: