Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Ashleyfaz
Mouseketeer

Cozumel excursions with young children

We are limited on excursions with our young son (3 years old). Anyone been on the following excursions. What did you think?

I really want to do the Playa Mia beach break, but it is quite expensive and I am wondering if it is worth the cost with 2 children (ages 3 and 5). I know it is all inclusive, but I will not be going overboard with my children around in another country

We are also interested in the Cozumel ruins and beach tour, but I can't find many reviews. I think it would be neat to get a tour of cozumel along with a little bit of time on the beach.

Any other ideas on excursions. My kids said they do not want to swim in the ocean (gulf) with the fish. They just want to build sandcastles on the beach, so not sure I want to spend almost $300 on Playa Mia since they do not eat very much or swim.

Last edited by Ashleyfaz; 01-15-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Ashleyfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
sbridgeman
Earning My Ears

just to throw another beach option out there for you to consider (as this is one on our short list.) You could also look at paradise beach. it has gotten a lot of good reviews, sounds like a cabs are around $20 one way [i believe that the cab rates are flat fees set by the gov't.], $2 pp admission and best i can tell a $10 food/beverage minimum. (IOW around $12 pp plus 40-50 for cabs.) much cheaper than the all-inclusive options on the island and way way cheaper than booking through disney.

last time i was in cozumel (a number of years ago) traveling to a beach on your own was not an issue at all.

best of luck to you in your planning
RCL Empress Of The Seas - November 1999
NCL Norwegian Majesty - November 1998

sbridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Ashleyfaz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbridgeman View Post
just to throw another beach option out there for you to consider (as this is one on our short list.) You could also look at paradise beach. it has gotten a lot of good reviews, sounds like a cabs are around $20 one way [i believe that the cab rates are flat fees set by the gov't.], $2 pp admission and best i can tell a $10 food/beverage minimum. (IOW around $12 pp plus 40-50 for cabs.) much cheaper than the all-inclusive options on the island and way way cheaper than booking through disney.

last time i was in cozumel (a number of years ago) traveling to a beach on your own was not an issue at all.

best of luck to you in your planning
Is that an excursion you have to book in advance or do you just go?
Ashleyfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
sbridgeman
Earning My Ears

you can just go. once you get off the ship, you can grab a cab and go.

they are first come, first served according to their website.

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

some pretty helpful f.a.q.'s on there as well.
RCL Empress Of The Seas - November 1999
NCL Norwegian Majesty - November 1998

sbridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
bwallace
Keeps Pulling Me In

We just did Paradise beach in December with two kids, 4 & 2. I think it was a great choice, even though it rained all day.

Just get off of the ship and walk all the way to the back of the shopping area that connects to the port. There is a cab stand with a chart showing the prices to various destinations. The max fare to Paradise beach is $20. We had three adults and 2 kids, and it cost $20 each way for the van. I think it was 6-8 miles from the port.

They'll drop you off at Paradise Beach. Grab as many chair an umbrellas as you want on the beach and a server will come around to get payment for them. We had 2 umbrellas and 4 chairs and they charged us $8.

They will also ask that you spend $10/person which is not at all hard to do with most drinks and food running $6-$10 anyway. The server will come around to take care of you periodically, or they have a couple of covered bar areas with seating.

For $10 or $12 per person you can get a wrist band that allows you to use the inflatable toys out in the shallow water, but that probably wouldn't be of too much interest to kids as young as yours.

The beach isnt huge, but it is nice. We're used to beaches in the Destin area, and this isnt that fine and white sand, but the kids had fun finding lots of shells/coral.

The pool area is large and nice. The bathrooms/changing rooms were clean.

When you're ready to go, head back to the front. if there isnt a cab waiting, they'll call one.

We did Paradise beach for a few hours,went back to the ship to change, then walked around shops and ate in the area just outside of the port. Our kids had fun and we all got to experience the beach and some of the city.

We shied away from the ruins because they all required more travel time than I thought my kids would be willing to tolerate.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
kristie03
Mouseketeer

Another vote for Paradise Beach here. It is a great way to spend the day and very easy to go to and fro. The kids can build the sand castles than play in the gi-normous pool....Have a great time!

Oh and order the nachos....they are AMAZING!

DL - Apr. 1992/Off Property - May 1996/Caribbean Beach - Nov. 1997, Feb. 2004, May 2006/Port Orleans Riverside - Apr. 2009, Jan. 2010/SSR - Mar 2010, Jan 2011, Feb 2012/BLT - Jul. 2010, Nov. 2010, June 2011, June 2012/AKV Jambo - Apr. 2011/Beach Club - Oct 2011/BWV - Sept 2012//BCV - Dec 2012/Disney Dream - Nov. 2011, Jan 2013, Aug 2013/Disney Fantasty - Mar. 2012 (MV)/Disney Magic - Jul. 2012
kristie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Chee Chick
DIS Veteran

I did the Cozumel Beach Break with my two children ages 3 and 7 this past Thanksgiving. We had a great time. I really think it was our best day the entire cruise. My kids had fun playing in the sand and right at the edge of the water. I thought the buffet food was pretty good, but nothing special. DH and I did have quite a few beers and Margaritas.

This was our first cruise and first time in Cozumel. DH and I didn't feel comfortable going off on our own with our children so young. But now that I have been there, I would likely take a taxi to one of the cheaper beaches recommended by others on this board next time.

Chee Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
tina4_98
Mouseketeer

We are doing Paradise Beach on our own in March and looking forward to it. We will have 2 sets of 5 yrs old and 8 yrs old and they love beaches so hoping they'll have a great time.

Good luck with your decision

Tina, Cruised on Disney Magic On Jan20, 2007!!
tina4_98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: