Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #16
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiford
Don't forget to talk to your head server the night before your first cruise ends. If you like your current servers, they'll see if they can place you back with them. We did this in December because they already knew our preferences and we really liked them. Even better bonus was that they ended up seating us at a table with two other couples one of whom we sat with the previous year. If we hadn't spoken to the head server, we would have ended up sitting somewhere else completely and at a table for just the two of us. While it's nice to sit together just the two of us, one of the things we particularly like on cruises is to meet others and we had really enjoyed this other couple's company the previous year.
This is excellent advice about the servers. We had a great team and requested them for the second leg. Our servers thanked us and said that it would be noted in their employment file. :-)
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #17
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by p17blo View Post
should I tip at the end of each cruise, or just once at the very end?
DCL handles each one as a separate cruise. So they will automatically charge the standard tips on each cruise. If we are tipping extra, we always do it at the end of the first cruise as well as the end of the second. (That way not only do they know we appreciate what they are doing for us and are taking care of them for it; we don't know what their schedule is with needing cash or wiring money home so we don't delay them just because we are doing the second cruise.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "being able to stay in your cabin a little longer" but do know that you are allowed to go back to your cabin. B2B cabins are supposed to be handled as a priority. So they are the first ones made up so they are locked up while all the other cabins are open and being stripped, etc. You can hang out there until you need to leave the ship (you don't have the same 8am request that guests leaving do). We have gone back to our cabin after breakfast to get items we'll need; we've also gone back to our cabin after getting back on for the second cruise. We try not to spend too much time there as we don't want to be in the way while they are making up all those cabins. We also don't head back once the new guests are on board until everyone has access to their cabins just so we don't cause trouble with people seeing us and thinking it's okay for them to cross over the barrier and get to their cabin too.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #18
kiford
Mouseketeer

They had the hallways blocked off when we re-entered the ship as they were starting to clean the rooms so we couldn't go back to our cabin. Cove Cafe was open so we spent some time there having "coffee" (there was coffee in the cup but also a bit of this and that ) and reading. That's also something you might want to think about. Take a book with you. We left the ship about 9-ish and went right back upstairs and got checked back in again immediately. Then they put us in the concierge lounge in the terminal until about 10:30. We had our books with us and then went right up to the Cove Cafe and from there to lunch about 12:30. Some people consider this transition day to be a waste of time but we had a wonderful day relaxing, reading, eating, and drinking. One of the most relaxing and de-stressing days of the whole cruise. I didn't feel like I was missing anything but was able to totally chill out.
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #19
DCLSailing
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiford View Post
They had the hallways blocked off when we re-entered the ship as they were starting to clean the rooms so we couldn't go back to our cabin. Cove Cafe was open so we spent some time there having "coffee" (there was coffee in the cup but also a bit of this and that ) and reading. That's also something you might want to think about. Take a book with you. We left the ship about 9-ish and went right back upstairs and got checked back in again immediately. Then they put us in the concierge lounge in the terminal until about 10:30. We had our books with us and then went right up to the Cove Cafe and from there to lunch about 12:30. Some people consider this transition day to be a waste of time but we had a wonderful day relaxing, reading, eating, and drinking. One of the most relaxing and de-stressing days of the whole cruise. I didn't feel like I was missing anything but was able to totally chill out.
Something to note about room readiness. We walked to our room after reboarding but noticed the rope across the hallway so we just turned back and spent our time at the pool. Turns out, when we met our new Room Host (we switched rooms), she told us she had it ready for us early as she knew we were B2B.

So it might be worth it to go and check. While we expected to spend all our time at the pool, we had several bags that would have been nice to drop off.

We also enjoyed our Servers very much and simply asked the Head Waiter to insure we had them the second trip. He handled it without issue. I'm sure it is helpful for them as well since they already know us by that time.
DCLSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCLSailing View Post
Something to note about room readiness. We walked to our room after reboarding but noticed the rope across the hallway so we just turned back and spent our time at the pool. Turns out, when we met our new Room Host (we switched rooms), she told us she had it ready for us early as she knew we were B2B.

So it might be worth it to go and check. While we expected to spend all our time at the pool, we had several bags that would have been nice to drop off.

We also enjoyed our Servers very much and simply asked the Head Waiter to insure we had them the second trip. He handled it without issue. I'm sure it is helpful for them as well since they already know us by that time.
It's my understanding, that, even if the rope is up, until they start boarding the "new" guests you can access your room. Once the new boarding starts, they ask that you either stay in your room or on the other side of the rope until the rooms are open for everyone so the new guests won't see others crossing the rope and think they can too.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #21
3princessMommy
DIS Veteran

We're doing B2B on the Dream on 3/24 and 3/28. I'm assuming that the kids can swim in the pools once we're back on board? Also do they have any snacks at Cove Cafe that I could run and grab if the kids get the munchies before everything else is open for lunch?

DHMe DD13 DD11 DD8 Nala Sasha Patches
1976:WDW OS; 1986:WDW OS; 1993:WDW CR; 2007:DLP NBC; 2008:WDW SOG; DCL Wonder DD; 2009:WDW SOG; DCL Magic Tortola; 2010:DCL Magic Baltic; DCL Magic Xmas; 2011:DCL Wonder Alaska; WDW AK; 2012: WDW BLT & DCL Fantasy Western; 2013: WDW BCV & B2B DCL Dream; 2014: Magic Barcelona to Venice Repo Planned: 2015: Fantasy Eastern; Magic Iceland Cruise
3princessMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #22
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princessMommy View Post
We're doing B2B on the Dream on 3/24 and 3/28. I'm assuming that the kids can swim in the pools once we're back on board? Also do they have any snacks at Cove Cafe that I could run and grab if the kids get the munchies before everything else is open for lunch?
You have access to the pools once they're cleaned. The AquaDuck won't open until the new cruisers are boarding.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #23
p17blo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
..so we spent some time there having "coffee" (there was coffee in the cup but also a bit of this and that )
What? You have me intrigued now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "being able to stay in your cabin a little longer" but do know that you are allowed to go back to your cabin
Well what I meant was that I was hoping to stay in the cabin late disembarkation AM before getting off, instead of leaving the room by 8am, but others have said as B2B this should be possible anyway.

p17blo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #24
kiford
Mouseketeer

Quote:
"coffee" (there was coffee in the cup but also a bit of this and that )
Quote:
Originally Posted by p17blo View Post
What? You have me intrigued now....
Mint Mocha Latte. Espresso with whole milk (you can do skim milk but I'm on vacation!), creme de menthe, chocolate syrup, topped with whipped cream (also allowable on vacation). Absolutely my favourite - 5 of these and the 6th is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princessMommy View Post
They did have snacks (pastries) in the Cove Cafe but I understand that the Vista Cafe had the same things too.
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #25
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

does anyone know if the rf room is open during this time? I think it would be a good place to hole up for a few hours.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #26
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiford

Mint Mocha Latte. Espresso with whole milk (you can do skim milk but I'm on vacation!), creme de menthe, chocolate syrup, topped with whipped cream (also allowable on vacation). Absolutely my favourite - 5 of these and the 6th is free
Oooooh, I'm going to try that!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: