Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
disneykelly73
Mouseketeer

My little girl turns 3 on our next cruise. need advice

First, I would like to order her a cake, but it looks like the cakes can not have messages?!?! and it either Mickey Mouse or plain.. so like.. no Minnie Mouse?? no princesses?? or fairies??

So, any thoughts on how to make her day even more special than being on a Disney Cruise?? I know, right?? like being on a cruise isnt special enough? I just didnt want the day to go uncelebrated...

What have you all done?

DVC member since 1999
Boardwalk Villas
disneykelly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

If you don't make a big deal about the cake having no Minnie/Princesses/Fairies I doubt she will even notice. She will be surrounded by Disney magic. I would just celebrate with the special dessert they give in the dining rooms and then do some meet & greets with her favorite characters. I am sure they will make a big deal once they know it is her birthday.

Also, if you are on the Fantasy they have a Bibbity Bobbity Boutique. That could be a fun birthday experience.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
disneykelly73
Mouseketeer

we are on the Fantasy..

I guess I was just shocked that for what they are charging for the cakes that you can not have a specific character on it and Happy Birthday.. just seems odd to me!

You know.. it being Disney and all!!!!

I will have to check out the BBB!!!

DVC member since 1999
Boardwalk Villas
Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
jlynch924
Mousin' Around

We just got off the Magic, where DD celebrated her 10th bday on the 1st. I brought decorations for the room (streamers, colorful tinsel and that wired star tinsel, a happy birthday banner) and I made magnets for the door (birthday hat and ears for the stateroom number and birthday hat ears with her name - I got both from the cruise graphics magnets thread). She also wore a "Happy Birthday" crown thing to breakfast (we did Lumiere's to make it more special than the usual buffet breakfast), where she opened her gifts (which were few in number, as HELLO, the cruise was a pretty big gift, lol). The server sang to her. I had picked up a "It's My Birthday" button at guest services, and she received another at dinner from our servers, and one more that was attached to a birthday card delivered to the stateroom.
She was completely happy with the chocolate mousse cake with birthday message that they brought out.
Our servers also sang to her and got the other tables around us to sing, too.
All in all, I'd say she thought it was pretty awesome.

WDW 1972, 1977, 1982 (Epcot Opening), 1995, 2005
DCL Wonder 9/2007, Dream 9/2011, Magic 12/2012, Dream 11/2014

jlynch924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

We are cruising in March and both of my children have birthdays during the cruise. I had considered ordering a cake but have read numerous reports that they weren't very tasty. Someone suggested ordering a slice of the "cake of the day" from room service (free except for tip). I plan on bringing a cute cake topper for each of them and just having a little celebration in our room for each of them. I know, it's not a full birthday cake but will do until we get home and I can make them their cake (they prefer that over bought). I would do before but the cruise is a surprise :-)

I also suggest doing BBB. One day, she'll be too old and not want to. DD was totally out of princesses by the time she was 7 and I regret not dressing her as a princess when we did a princess breakfast at WDW when she was 5. It was pre BBB but I wish we had at least purchased her a costume. I've learned from that mistake and booked Pirate League for DS. We are lucky that his bday falls on pirate night and can do that on his actual bday. He says he so wants to do that on our next WDW trip and I can't wait to surprise him on his bday on the Fantasy!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Aug/03 - 1st Trip DL Aug/04 - FW Cabins 1st trip WDW Jun/05 - WDW offsite Dec/06 - ASMo/OKW & MVMCP Jan/08 - POR BFF trip Sept-Oct/08 - AKV & MNSSHP Dec/09 - Pop*Disney Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola*Pop again Jan/11 - Disney Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB Nov/11 - Cor Spngs w/my honey Dec/11 - AKV Kidani w/ the kids Oct/12 - CR/Poly & MNSSHP Mar/13 - Disney Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan May/13 - Disney Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey June/13 - SSR Girls Only Trip Sept/13 - Disneyland Paris w/my honey Oct/13 - BC & MNSSHP w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
disneykelly73
Mouseketeer

thank you for the ideas.. I am going to bring a cake topper from home as well.. I like that idea.. I am also going to bring my own decorations and do the room up myself..

as for BBB.. its says they have to be 3 on the ressie in order to make the reservation before boarding.. so I am going to make the ressie under my son's name.. so bad.. I know.. and then show up w/her.. whatelse is a mom to do.. they dont care as long as she is legally 3 on the day of the appt.. but lets face it, all the ressie's will be gone by the time we board...

DVC member since 1999
Boardwalk Villas
Old 01-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

OK, there is a difference between "the day go uncelebrated" and the inability to get a cake with the character of your choice.

I agree that the cakes on DCL are a disappointment. They no longer do the "standard" free cake. Trust me, you aren't missing anything.

What they will do--at dinner, she will get a mousse type dessert with a "happy birthday" banner in chocolate on it. The servers will sing HB to her and if she is not already wearing a birthday pin, they will give her one. Better idea, go to GS that morning or the day before and they will give you the HB pin--all day long CMs and characters will wish her a happy birthday.

You can choose to purchase room decorations, but they will be put up the day you arrive, not on her birthday. I decorated my daughter's room myself rather than buying their overpriced package. You can buy a cake. However, they are not as good as what I can get from the bakery at our local grocery store and you have many fewer options. There is cake all over the ship. You can get it at the pool deck buffet at lunch or order it from room service if you want to eat cake together as a family.

Another hint--Guest Services will give you a little bag of "pixie dust" which you might want to sprinkle on a pillow or whatever. How cool if Tinkerbell left her a little gift! Your stateroom host might make a birthday cake out of towels! There is a lot you can do. And then get a Minnie cake or a Princess cake at your local bakery for an "at home" party with grandparents, friends, or whomever. Also, make a magnet of something birthday related and put it on your door--the other guests will make a fuss over her..and so will the CMs in the programming if she is wearing her button.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Im in the same boat .

I was surprised at the lack of cake options as well. But i have never been impressed with disney cake so i guess no loss.

In my case my ds will turn 11 on the day we leave the ship. I thought i would bring decorations and surprise him early in the week with those. Being a soon to be 11 yr old boy no BBB for him. He is also not into the whole pirate thing.

Im a little stuck because my ds's birthday is always while we are at wdw. Its always during our spring break. Hes kind of sick of it. Poor baby i know. But he wants a party with friends at home so thats where we can really celebrate.

Not to totally hyjack your thread - but keep ideas coming.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: