Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #256
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVDISNEY12 View Post
Are you able to go from FW to WL if it is a quiet day or would you have to ask a lifeguard or cast member
or is it banned all together..would like to know for the future
Pool hopping is not allowed unless you're a DVC member staying on points at a DVC resort.... so that knocks out FW because its not DVC... so even if I, a DVC member, choose to stay at Ft.W, I can't use the pool at WL. According to the current rules in place, if I am staying at OKW, I could pool hop (if its not in a black out period) to WL, but I don't know why I would want to.... OKW has a really nice pool. OKW, SSR, WL, Boardwalk, allow DVC members to pool hop... but under the pool hop rules, I'm supposed to be able to go to the pool at GF and Poly... but you're still supposed to check with the life guard because of capacity. I have pool hopped to GF and Caribbean Beach without a problem in the past, but only did so to join up with non-DVC friends staying there.

Mindy5767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #257
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Wow really? why not stay at the resort you want to swim at? Glad WDW issues wristbands. It one of the reasons we stay at the POLY because the pool is awesome.

We stayed offsite (never again) at a REAL nice hotel in Orlando. It had a conference and the POOL was overcrowded with people who were not even hotel guests on the weekend.

Why should the people paying to stay at the resort be crowded by people who are not?

I find the concept strange....
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #258
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
Wow really? why not stay at the resort you want to swim at? Glad WDW issues wristbands. It one of the reasons we stay at the POLY because the pool is awesome.

We stayed offsite (never again) at a REAL nice hotel in Orlando. It had a conference and the POOL was overcrowded with people who were not even hotel guests on the weekend.

Why should the people paying to stay at the resort be crowded by people who are not?

I find the concept strange....
well.. it is a strange concept.. which is why its not allowed in most cases... but DVC members are owners.. so I guess that's why we currently have this perk... but the perk doesn't apply to AoA's Big Blue Pool, Stormalong Bay at BC/YC, the pool at BLT, Uzima Pool at AKV.. and there are black-out periods for capacity reasons.. such as spring break and Thanksgiving and Christmas. As to the why... in general....sure... swim where you're staying... but if you've got friends or family staying in another resort... or you meet some people and want to join them for a swim, its a nice option. I would however, not schlepp to another resort purely for their pool... I personally only do it when we're joining friends. And only because we're allowed.

oh yeah...and you can't just mosey on into the pool at Vero beach either... even if you're eating lunch at Shutters. It too has the RFID lock.. as does the actual entrance to the beach.

Last edited by Mindy5767; 07-14-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 07-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #259
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

I wouldn't think there would be an issue of guest having a few friends visiting them..... and using the facilities.

I assumed it was people staying at one resort and traveling to another just for the pools.

Like POP -> GF or POLY to use a nicer pool.

Which IS weird.

I would think WDW wouldn't mind if you had a few friends visit you at your resort so long as it was not daily and it didn't intrupt the paying guests services.
!

Old 07-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #260
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
I wouldn't think there would be an issue of guest having a few friends visiting them..... and using the facilities.

I assumed it was people staying at one resort and traveling to another just for the pools.

Like POP -> GF or POLY to use a nicer pool.

Which IS weird.

I would think WDW wouldn't mind if you had a few friends visit you at your resort so long as it was not daily and it didn't intrupt the paying guests services.
Multiply one extra guest by the number of guests at the resort and you get an extremely crowded pool. Your friends need to be on your reservation to use the pool.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #261
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Good point. I never would do this, I didn't know they even had a list....
Last few times we went the pool was not crowded. My feelings are swim at the pool at your own resort.
!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #262
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

This thread is kinda going off the rails...

DVC members are granted the privilege to use the pools at other "selected" DVC hotels. So it's not really how it's being presented as a personal choice to break or not break the rules...

While I personally find little need to go to other pools on my stay (mainly because we use DVC and rotate our trips anyway)...the ability to do it - as it stands now - was part of a 40+ year annual commitment to Disney plus a fairly large upfront purchase cost.

So when I see "why would you not just go to your OWN pool?"...theres the answer.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #263
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
Some of my family/friends are staying at a different resort, or offsite. Can they come to my resort and swim with my family?

Possibly. Disney policy states that only registered resort guests may use the pool, but IF the pool isn't too crowded, and IF you ask, the lifeguards have been known to make exceptions for visiting family and friends. Of course, the fewer guests you want to bring into the pool area, the more likely the lifeguards will say 'yes'. If you want grandma and grandpa to join you, it likely won't be a problem. If you show up with 4 uncles, 3 aunts, and 14 assorted cousins.....well, expect the lifeguards to suggest you visit a water park instead.
Apologies in advance if this is answered elsewhere in the thread, but if we are staying at BC (6 people in 2 rooms) and have a friend's family (2 adults and 3 young children) staying at another on-site resort, what are the odds of them being allowed into SAB with us in early/mid December?

Would they be allowed to swim?

Allowed in the pool area but not allowed to swim?

Or not allowed in the pool area at all?

They will be visiting Epcot with us that day and, in the evening, our families are having dinner together at Yachtsman. So we're looking at what options might be available to them should we have a couple of hours between visting the park and dinner.
Masonmj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #264
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
Apologies in advance if this is answered elsewhere in the thread, but if we are staying at BC (6 people in 2 rooms) and have a friend's family (2 adults and 3 young children) staying at another on-site resort, what are the odds of them being allowed into SAB with us in early/mid December?

They will be visiting Epcot with us that day and, in the evening, our families are having dinner together at Yachtsman. So we're looking at what options might be available to them should we have a couple of hours between visting the park and dinner.
They won't have wristbands, so they won't be allowed in the pool area.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #265
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post

The official answer is no. However, you can ask the day of, and if the pool area is not busy and you get a lifeguard who feels like sprinkling some magic on you, you may be allowed guests in the pool. But you cannot depend on it, or find out ahead of time. It would truly have to be right when you all want to swim as the lifeguards are the ones with the authority over the pool area.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #266
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

Does one night get you two days?

If someone wanted at least some swimming at one of the "non-hopping" pools during their stay (which would be any pool other than their own if non-DVC), the family could book a one-night reservation at that hotel. They could swim on the day they checked in, and then get at least some swimming on check out day - do swim privileges terminate at check-out time (11), or can you stay later at pool? Although it would almost certainly be cheaper simply to add "water parks" to a park hopper ticket, assuming you had one, unless you had at least six in family (four children). (I think water option is approx. 40/person, and even cheapest rooms at Beach or Poly likely more than than 250).
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #267
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleScout View Post
If someone wanted at least some swimming at one of the "non-hopping" pools during their stay (which would be any pool other than their own if non-DVC), the family could book a one-night reservation at that hotel. They could swim on the day they checked in, and then get at least some swimming on check out day - do swim privileges terminate at check-out time (11), or can you stay later at pool? Although it would almost certainly be cheaper simply to add "water parks" to a park hopper ticket, assuming you had one, unless you had at least six in family (four children). (I think water option is approx. 40/person, and even cheapest rooms at Beach or Poly likely more than than 250).
Yes. You are a guest of that resort on both your check-in & check-out day, and thus, are eligible to enjoy the amenities on both days.
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #268
travelitis
DIS Veteran

I've been to BC often to eat at Beaches n Cream, the last time being this summer. We could have found a place to relax on the beach or in the SAB area had we wanted to. We enjoyed going for a walk, and were able to cut through the SAB area which wasn't busy at the time. The walk along the beachin the evening is quite nice, and we've enjoyed renting a surrey bike on another trip. If I were you, since the pool is not so busy in early December, and hotel rates reflect that it's not s peak season, I would just play it by ear and ask a lifeguard at that time. I wouldn't try to make advance arrangements, and I'd have a back-up plan in mind like finding a nice place to sit and visit, of which there are plenty, inside and outside. There are movies on the beach, so maybe you could head out there. Even value resorts do poolside movies.

We've stayed at all the values and are working on the moderates and deluxe. (AKL on Fri-) Pool hopping, besides breaking rules, is too inconvenient, and I think swimming at a deluxe would take LOTS of the magic out of staying at a moderate or value. There IS Disney magic to be found at values, and we love them for last-minute weekends. I'm all about being grateful for what you have. Giving up luxury and staying at values means more nights at WDW, and we know how we would feel if we were paying for SAB and it was overflowing with guests from other resorts. Saving SAB for when we stay there makes the experience SO much more fun!

5 Mickey bars ~ $25.00 Picture of kids with an X-Wing ~ $35 losing count of Disney trips ~ Priceless!
travelitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #269
Jenny52
Earning My Ears

Yay! I was wondering about pool hopping! Hoping to stay of Contempary or BLT- I'm excited to see the pools :-)
Jenny52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #270
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelitis View Post
I've been to BC often to eat at Beaches n Cream, the last time being this summer. We could have found a place to relax on the beach or in the SAB area had we wanted to. We enjoyed going for a walk, and were able to cut through the SAB area which wasn't busy at the time. The walk along the beachin the evening is quite nice, and we've enjoyed renting a surrey bike on another trip. If I were you, since the pool is not so busy in early December, and hotel rates reflect that it's not s peak season, I would just play it by ear and ask a lifeguard at that time. I wouldn't try to make advance arrangements, and I'd have a back-up plan in mind like finding a nice place to sit and visit, of which there are plenty, inside and outside. There are movies on the beach, so maybe you could head out there. Even value resorts do poolside movies.

We've stayed at all the values and are working on the moderates and deluxe. (AKL on Fri-) Pool hopping, besides breaking rules, is too inconvenient, and I think swimming at a deluxe would take LOTS of the magic out of staying at a moderate or value. There IS Disney magic to be found at values, and we love them for last-minute weekends. I'm all about being grateful for what you have. Giving up luxury and staying at values means more nights at WDW, and we know how we would feel if we were paying for SAB and it was overflowing with guests from other resorts. Saving SAB for when we stay there makes the experience SO much more fun!
I did stay at Yacht Club once, and actually wasn't that super impressed with SAB. Don't get me wrong..its a nice pool...but so is the pool at Saratoga, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Villas, etc. In fact, Caribbean Beach as a moderate, has a pretty darn nice pool, and the Dig Site pool at Coronado Springs is very nice (except it was too chilly to swim when we were there). The biggest difference is that SAB has the sand bottom pool area and the small lazy river. The lazy river is small and it was darned difficult to get into the tube and my opinion of the sand bottom is that the sand is very course, as sand goes..and it didn't feel very pleasant underfoot. But that's my opinion..I'm also in love with Blizzard Beach, so if I want a great water experience, I go there. We've always had such fun there!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: