Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #16
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
Unlike WDW, seasoned cruisers either book the day dates release (for example, December 2012 for summer 2014) but before the prices jump or at the last second (under 75 days, waiting for GTY or guarantee rates, which can be quite affordable if they come available as cheaply as 2A 4 nights under $800). We also book on board for the 10% off. We cruise mostly during school, pulling our kids.
I've done 4 in a 10A, and would do it again. If you're flexible about ships, you can often find a cheaper sailing. Have you checked any of the DCL sailings on the classics?
we're flexible on everything except going in summer. Even booking for next summer about 3k was the cheapest I could find.

what are GTY and guarantee rates?
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #17
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
we're flexible on everything except going in summer. Even booking for next summer about 3k was the cheapest I could find.

what are GTY and guarantee rates?
GTY as a category means you cannot select a specific stateroom but you will be assigned at least that category room (11GTY would be at least an inside stateroom, possibly higher level). This usually means the category is getting full and DCL isn't committing specific room assignments for that category anymore.

*GT rates are special, highly-discounted, restricted fares. They tend to come out after the 75-day PIF date (75 days prior to sale date) when DCL is trying to fill the ship. They can be a fantastic deal if you can make travel plans on short notice and are willing to accepted the restrictions (DCL will assign a room at or above the category book - inside, oceanview or verandah), payment must be made in full, no changes or cancellations allowed, etc.

If you are really locked into late August, and you feel the $3100 fare is too high, you might wait a few weeks to see if any *GT rates are released. Since your option then would be to not book a cruise for this summer anyway, it would be a bonus if you find a great rate and do so in a few weeks. I personally would not spend that much on a 4-night cruise, plus my family would have airfare on top of that so it's just out of my price-range; others may feel differently.

The summer cruises do tend to be higher priced because, like you, that's when most families can go during school vacation. Supply and demand. The way to get lower fares is to book as far in advance as possible (currently DCL has itineraries released through spring 2014 on the classic ships and summer 2014 on the newer ships) or wait for more last-minute booking of a special rate.

Good luck!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: