Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Matty Ice
Mouseketeer

Transportation - What Would You Do?

I'm reaching out to the Disboarders to see what you would do for transportation. Myself, DW, DD-7 and DD-5 are flying into Ft. Lauderdale 1/27 and staying at the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood. 1/28 we Embark on our first Disney Cruise out of Miami! I need some advice. Would you: a) take a cab from the airport to the hotel Sunday night and then a shuttle to the port of Miami Monday morning? or b) rent a car at FLL and return it to MIA then take the rental car shuttle to the port? Price is pretty close when I factor in transportation fees, tips, gas, etc...

Thank you in advance for your opinions!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

b
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

I would rent a car.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
stlouismickey
Earning My Ears

I am using SAS transportation from FLL which was the cheapest rate that I found between renting a car for 5, taking a taxi or car service. I will be using them next week so I can let you know how good they are after that.

Kris
stlouismickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
goeva
DIS Veteran

I prefer early check in, so I'd take a taxicab or car service to avoid possible long wait time for the courtesy shuttle.
We're also flying to FLL and cruising out from Port Miami. We'd like to spend a couple days in Miami after the cruise, so I plan to use car services to POM and rent a car afterwards.

Here are some car services:
QLS Transportation
SAS Transportation
GO Airport Shuttle

MeDH DD DS

Last edited by goeva; 03-25-2013 at 03:24 PM.
goeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
sonogal
Mouseketeer

Did the same thing on a Carnival cruise 2 yrs ago staying at the same hotel. We took a cab from FLL to the hotel. Then the next morning took SAS transportation from hotel to POM. Worked great, no problems.
2007 Sandals Dunn's River Jamaica
2008 El Dorado Royale Mexico
2009 Carnival Inspiration
2009 Carnival Liberty
2010 Disney Wonder
2010 RCL Liberty of the Seas
2011 Carnival Destiny
2011 Disney Wonder
2011 Oasis of the Seas
2012 Freedom of the Seas
2013 Disney Fantasy
sonogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
ccarter
Earning My Ears

MJS Transport from FLL to POM

Hi,

We (5 adults 1 preschooler and 1 infant) just got back from the 1/10/13 4 night Bahamas cruise out of Miami on the Wonder...what a fabulous first cruise experience!

We flew into FLL on 1/08 (coming from Maine I wanted to be sure that we had plenty of time to get to FLL in the event of a winter storm) and stayed there for the first 2 nights as airfare and hotels are SO much cheaper in Fort Lauderdale. We rented minivan for FL, but didn't want to have to deal with returning a car in Miami and then get to the ship. We booked with MJS Transportation (gomjstrans.com) to pick us up at FLL and take us to the Port of Miami and for the return trip back to FLL. I was nervous about booking a service but had read glowing reviews about this service on cruisecritic.com.

I can't say enough good things about this service:
  • Mike and Jeremy contacted us beforehand to confirm and answer any questions we had
  • Mike called the day before to confirm location at FLL they were picking us up at; Jeremy called shortly after to say he was running into traffic and might be 5 minutes late and to confirm our location
  • Jeremy called again to say he was pulling into the airport and to give us the exact spot to pick us up, 1 minute later he pulled up in a beautifully maintained Mercedes shuttle
  • Even though FL law doesn't require them for commercial for hire transport, Mike and Jeremy had purchased a top quality convertible car seat for my 9 month old granddaughter because they knew my daughter was uncomfortable with the thought of her not being in a carseat
  • Jeremy was very personable and did the tour guide thing and told us about the area we were driving through; very pleasant efficient drive to the Port of Miami and we arrived right on time for our 11:00 check-in
  • Before pulling away, Jeremy gave us instructions on when to contact him on departure day; he was waiting just outside the Port of Miami when we called him from Customs, pulled up at the appointed place within minutes of our calling him to say we had cleared customs; just as pleasant and efficient as the drop off trip!

I know this is a lengthy post, but it is such a leap of faith to book a service when you aren't from the area and if they don't show it can really start your trip off on a bad note. MJS was awesome, had fantastic customer service, and was more reasonable than all the other services we checked out. I think that anybody looking for quality transportation to the Port of Miami from FLL should definitely book with them!

I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we enjoyed ours!
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarter View Post
Hi,

We (5 adults 1 preschooler and 1 infant) just got back from the 1/10/13 4 night Bahamas cruise out of Miami on the Wonder...what a fabulous first cruise experience!

We flew into FLL on 1/08 (coming from Maine I wanted to be sure that we had plenty of time to get to FLL in the event of a winter storm) and stayed there for the first 2 nights as airfare and hotels are SO much cheaper in Fort Lauderdale. We rented minivan for FL, but didn't want to have to deal with returning a car in Miami and then get to the ship. We booked with MJS Transportation (gomjstrans.com) to pick us up at FLL and take us to the Port of Miami and for the return trip back to FLL. I was nervous about booking a service but had read glowing reviews about this service on cruisecritic.com.

I can't say enough good things about this service:
  • Mike and Jeremy contacted us beforehand to confirm and answer any questions we had
  • Mike called the day before to confirm location at FLL they were picking us up at; Jeremy called shortly after to say he was running into traffic and might be 5 minutes late and to confirm our location
  • Jeremy called again to say he was pulling into the airport and to give us the exact spot to pick us up, 1 minute later he pulled up in a beautifully maintained Mercedes shuttle
  • Even though FL law doesn't require them for commercial for hire transport, Mike and Jeremy had purchased a top quality convertible car seat for my 9 month old granddaughter because they knew my daughter was uncomfortable with the thought of her not being in a carseat
  • Jeremy was very personable and did the tour guide thing and told us about the area we were driving through; very pleasant efficient drive to the Port of Miami and we arrived right on time for our 11:00 check-in
  • Before pulling away, Jeremy gave us instructions on when to contact him on departure day; he was waiting just outside the Port of Miami when we called him from Customs, pulled up at the appointed place within minutes of our calling him to say we had cleared customs; just as pleasant and efficient as the drop off trip!

I know this is a lengthy post, but it is such a leap of faith to book a service when you aren't from the area and if they don't show it can really start your trip off on a bad note. MJS was awesome, had fantastic customer service, and was more reasonable than all the other services we checked out. I think that anybody looking for quality transportation to the Port of Miami from FLL should definitely book with them!

I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we enjoyed ours!
I'm so glad you posted this! We just returned from this same cruise and used SAS Transportation. Although they were fine, they were late picking us up and didn't get us to the POM until well after noon. We figure our vacation starts the minute we get to the port, so we want to be picked up earlier. It sounds like this company picked you up earlier and were wonderful, so I already sent in a request to use them for our next cruise. Again, thanks for sharing!

Susan

09/93 Honeymoon at WDW, 03/01 First time to WDW with kids,
06/02 WDW, 11/03 First trip to Disneyland, 05/05 BIG family trip
to WDW POR, 06/06 First cruise on the Wonder/WDW ASM,
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder, 03/12 One Week in Maui,
07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay

Upcoming Trips: 03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western, 07/13 Villas at Grand California
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: