Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
BensWife
Mouseketeer

Why does Club Level have to be so expensive?

Ugh! I really wish we had the money to stay at the club level. It is just so much more that for us, it wouldn't be a splurge - more of a CRAZY - WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY AT ALL splurge. We have booked a 2 bedroom villa for 7 of us at OKW for our vacation, which I am sure will be wonderful. But, I just can't see spending an extra $2,000 for it. We got to stay at the Club Level at the Grand Californian in DL (because my parents were paying and we only stayed there 2 days). It's like, now that I have drunk the water, I don't want to go back.

'77 DL - Holiday Inn
'93 DL - Disneyland Hotel
'98 WDW - Port Orleans French Q.
'10 DL - Grand Californian (June & Aug),
'12 DL - Candy Cane Inn
'13 WDW - Saratoga Springs (SWW)
July '14 DL - DLH (just DH and ME!)
Sept '14 DL - Renting Grand Californian Villas
BensWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

your last sentence describes it completely. once you drink the water, everything else pales in comparison. i completely understand, believe me! there are only 4 of us so the upgrade to CL equals the dollar amount of money we save on food staying CL. that's really the only way i can justify continuing it!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I'd rather stay in a DVC 2 bedroom than stay at WDW CL so I wouldn't worry about drinking the water. I've stayed CL at 6 WDW locations and stayed in DVC 2 bedrooms at 5 locations. I'd take the worst 2 bedroom over the best WDW CL. You can have whatever snacks you want at any time and you have a whirlpool tub and clean laundry!!!

Enjoy your stay at OKW. The 2 bedrooms there are fantastic. Have a glass of wine and your own appetizers on that huge balcony!!!!
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethclayton
your last sentence describes it completely. once you drink the water, everything else pales in comparison. i completely understand, believe me! there are only 4 of us so the upgrade to CL equals the dollar amount of money we save on food staying CL. that's really the only way i can justify continuing it!!
We're staying CL for the first time in May and are hoping the food will even out the extra cost. Do you stay on DDP while at CL?

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfor4 View Post
We're staying CL for the first time in May and are hoping the food will even out the extra cost. Do you stay on DDP while at CL?
Our first CL stay we had the DDP, and felt for us it was a mistake. So our second CL stay last August we went without DDP. Breakfast in lounge, we booked TS for lunches, then we had CL offerings at night. It was more then enough food. We felt if we were still hungry, we could go downstairs to the CS to grab a bite, but with a big lunch, we were never hungry and the CL Appies were enough, then desserts too.

So We only had to buy 1 meal a day. Sorta justifies CL
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfor4 View Post
Nope! No DDP while on CL and we actually save $$ that way. We did DDP once with CL and we had soooo many credits left at the end. Like 10 CS and 20+ snacks. Poly CL, with a discount, costs us about $100/ day more than a regular room. we have tried and we (family of 4 "adults") cannot eat for under $100/ day without the CL food, easily. We truly find CL to be a better value for us than DDP.

edited to add: we always eat breakfast in the lounge. we also often eat in the lounge in the evening. one of my kids who shall remain nameless becomes evil the next day if we keep her up late, so for the sake of our family remaining intact , we don't typically stay out at the parks very late every night. we've tried. it was a fail. so we all come back at a decent hour, eat (and some of us drink!) at the lounge, get a great night's sleep, and are up early and ready to go. blessing in disguise.

Last edited by bethclayton; 01-15-2013 at 12:28 AM.
bethclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
I'd rather stay in a DVC 2 bedroom than stay at WDW CL so I wouldn't worry about drinking the water. I've stayed CL at 6 WDW locations and stayed in DVC 2 bedrooms at 5 locations. I'd take the worst 2 bedroom over the best WDW CL. You can have whatever snacks you want at any time and you have a whirlpool tub and clean laundry!!!

Enjoy your stay at OKW. The 2 bedrooms there are fantastic. Have a glass of wine and your own appetizers on that huge balcony!!!!

I've done concierge at PPH and DLH, and Club level at Royal Pacific Resort, and while they are nice, it's...just food. I can get that food, and better food, at the store, put it in my full size fridge, and have it whenever I want it in a 2 bedroom villa. I can get the beer I want, the desserts I want, etc. And I don't have to get out of my pajamas to enjoy it.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 AM   #8
The Fox Menagerie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Our first CL stay we had the DDP, and felt for us it was a mistake. So our second CL stay last August we went without DDP. Breakfast in lounge, we booked TS for lunches, then we had CL offerings at night. It was more then enough food. We felt if we were still hungry, we could go downstairs to the CS to grab a bite, but with a big lunch, we were never hungry and the CL Appies were enough, then desserts too.

This is what we do, and it is plenty of food for all of us.

Apr 2014 Disneyland Hotel, Jun 2013 Polynesian Resort, Aug 2011 Disneyland Hotel, Dec 2010 Disneyland Hotel, Nov 2010 Paradise Pier Hotel, Aug 2010 Disneyland Hotel, Apr 2010 Disneyland Hotel , Jun 2009 Grand Floridian Resort, Jun 2009 Bahamas Cruise Disney Wonder, Apr 2008 Disneyland Hotel, Apr 2007 Paradise Pier Hotel, Apr 2004 Disneyland Hotel, Oct 1999 Off Property Orlando, July 1995 Off Property Disneyland, June 1990 Off Property Disneyland
The Fox Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

LOL.
Why do Mercedes cost so much? Heck why do season tickets to the Phillies cost so much?

anyhoo, I've never done Concierge, would love to do it at AKL but got my dvc and that works for what's offered.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's us too, I think. Last year we did CL and DDP - way too much food! We had so many credits leftover, it was crazy!

This year, we are doing CL and no DDP, and will use our TiW card for the TS meals (we only have 5 planned over 11 days), so I think we will actually save this way as well.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
TJA
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This is exactly what we do, almost word-for-word. It's such an awesome time staying CL that we just can't turn back now.
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA View Post
This is exactly what we do, almost word-for-word. It's such an awesome time staying CL that we just can't turn back now.
Darn CL!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

When I travel with my friend and her two teenage boys, we always book club level. This is the result of an upgrade to main building club level at GF the first time we ever stayed there. That was some years ago and we have never booked anything but Club Level since. (Once you drink the water . . .)

We think breakfast, alone, makes it worth the extra cost. A nice breakfast costs around $15 per person anywhere plus tax and tip, plus one has to factor in the convenience of having it right down the hall (as opposed to having to go to a restaurant or quick service place, wait in line, etc.)

Add to that the snacks and evening offerings plus soda, wine and beer and we think it's a good deal (this assumes we have a room discount -- without the room discount I'm not so sure).

We always book table service lunches and dinners so the evening offerings do not substitute for dinner. They aren't all that plentiful in my opinion (unlike the evening offerings at Portofino Bay Hotel, for instance, which very definitely can make a nice dinner).

But, Club Level isn't necessarily to everyone's taste. When dh and I travel to WDW, we prefer the space and convenience of a one-bedroom villa. Dh has much more interest in space, a kitchen, etc., than middling wine offerings in the evening.

So, to each his own!
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

All CL's are not the same. Some you may find may be a great value for your family, other's may not. Therefore, check out individual resort CL's carefully to ensure that it is a good fit for your family. We have stayed Poly CL 2x in the past 1 1/2 years. Although we love the Poly, the CL menu suits our taste. Therefore, our family enjoys and eats what is offered most of the time, i.e. breakfast, snacks, appetizers, desserts. The lounge has long hours. There is always a fridge available for drinks. Not all CL's have this schedule. With little ones, having milk, juice, water close to the room at no extra charge is a plus. The lounge is part of the cost. A great lounge gives you extra space to watch TV and relax other than your room.

We just switched to a 1-BDR villa from a CL ressie this time. We are looking for extra in room space for our family of 5 this trip. But, we will definately miss CL.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
BabyFu18
DIS Veteran

CL seems like a good idea but when I priced out the difference for my traveling party it was just to much for what is offered. The advanced planning is nice but I like to plan so that's not really a necessity for me, upgraded room views and location and convince to the lounge are the biggest perks in my mind (though not all CL rooms might have amazing views, depends on the resort). Most people just think about CL as a place to get "free food" but for me I have multiple food allergies and I probably wouldn't eat the food in the lounge for that reason.

My traveling party drives to Disney so we can make a grocery stop or bring our own snacks and breakfast foods, we have two uber planners in the group so that takes care of that. Biggest advantage tomCL is having some place outside of the room to relax in and watch fireworks and the like. However, I can't justify the price for that even though I'm sure it's a great perk.

I do think CL sounds really great and for some families it's probably amazingly worth it, but right now it's just not for my family. Luckily I don't feel like I'm missing out on to much. I really don't hear that many people in my everyday life say they've tried Disney CL but I know the majority of people on the DIS probably have.

I'm glad CL is offered for those who love it, but to the OP I'm sure OKW will be great and I bet you won't miss CL once your there and enjoying your vacation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: