Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Old key west vs the rest

How does old key west stack up against all the other deluxe resorts? My wife and I are very torn about staying there- we like the idea of larger studios but dislike the location. The theme seems very "meh" to us (we love boardwalk, beach club, poly, and GF). Does Okw give you an immersive magical disney experience or is it a second class citizen? It almost seems more like a moderate from looking at tge pictures
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
How does old key west stack up against all the other deluxe resorts? My wife and I are very torn about staying there- we like the idea of larger studios but dislike the location. The theme seems very "meh" to us (we love boardwalk, beach club, poly, and GF). Does Okw give you an immersive magical disney experience or is it a second class citizen? It almost seems more like a moderate from looking at tge pictures
We stayed there back in 08. We were far out from everything so we had to take buses just to get a snack. Although the theme is really pretty (IMO) I think it is too large. My husband really did not care for it at all...he wanted POR back! I think I'd have to agree. I didn't feel the magical Disney wonder that I had at other resorts. (maybe b/c of the size and layout) Don't think we will ever stay there again. I would suggest stay at one of your faves (they are all beautiful & Magical) then be sure to visit OKW for lunch one day and take a walk around. This way you will know for sure if it has what you're looking for.

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Cindie-rella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
natnelliesmom
Mom to 3 Disney Princesses in Training

We have stayed at OKW a few times. We like it there. It's quiet, very lushly planted and has an real Florida feel to it. We have been close to the main hub, and far from it. Both were fine. When we were farther from the center, we at least were close to a bus stop.

We always pick at least a 1 brm villa, so snacks etc. aren't a big deal for us. We spend more time park hopping than going to the counter service at our resort.

We really like OKW for the larger room sizes.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

The beauty is in a 1 bedroom or larger. For a studio, I would stay elsewhere.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The fact that OKW is so far away from the deluxe *BOX* resorts like BC and BW and YC, the fact that it is spread out and wonderfully themed and a bit more of a slow paced, qiuet resort is just a few of the reasons it has such a loyal and large following.

Just our opinion after about 12 trips and stays at WDW.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Not a fan... One stay there cured us.... 2 bedroom, bus ride from HH, 3rd floor...

Third floor is awful with no elevator, we had an infant and 2 other families and climbing that mess to get settled is tiring, and then to leave every trip with a stroller down the stairs to the bus....

Same for going to the main pool, same steps, bus... Boring... Pool by our unit, just a hole in the ground, no ambiance, decor..

And lastly is the constant use of the buses, even for a snack or mug refill... Bus, even riding in the resort from stop to stop is a huge chore and then KFC to a park...

I'll give you the units themselves are beautiful, well appointed... Grounds very lush, but the logistics for staying there and getting around and navigating ... I'll take my preferred resort on location (close to a park) over cost and extra room any day... Miserable stay at OKW and we didn't feel we were at Disney at all that trip.5

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
brewcrew80
Mouseketeer

I've stayed there multiple times and I'll be staying there again in march (it's my parent's home resort).

Every draw-back you mentioned is real. it is sprawled out, not exactly centrally located...and a Florida themed resort in Florida can make the theming seem unimaginative.

But, the rooms are spacy, the landscaping is very well kept. And, it always seems to have a relaxed feel to it.

It's worth a try. It might be a totally unique Disney experience for ya. That said, I can see why it's not for everybody.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

What you need to keep in perspective about OKW is that it was not built to be a hotel resort, it was built to be a timeshare property. It is set up like a condo complex & its amenities (along with all DVC properties) are going to be different because its target market is different.

We really like OKW but I have to agree with DebbieB, if you are planning on a studio I would look elsewhere.

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Does Okw give you an immersive magical disney experience or is it a second class citizen? It almost seems more like a moderate from looking at tge pictures
it's very subtle on the disney touches. location would make it more of a mod+, IMO.

i like the subtle theming and think it's a tremendous value as an owner, but i'd agree that a studio stay would not be a very "deluxe" experience...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
osomom
Earning My Ears

Old Key West

We are staying at OKW soon. We are driving. I heard that having a car makes it easier. Should we plan on driving everywhere or should we use shuttle buses??
osomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

i like that you can park right outside of your villa at OKW (unless you get stuck in the HH area - which some people like but some don't.)

i have had great luck with OKW buses but opinions vary. (i've had issues with buses at AKL and the boardwalk resorts, but not OKW so far...)

i'll agree, though, that it's nice to have a car if you hate waiting for the buses.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by osomom View Post
We are staying at OKW soon. We are driving. I heard that having a car makes it easier. Should we plan on driving everywhere or should we use shuttle buses??
We have stayed at OKW three times now; once we had a car, twice we relied on the buses. We never had an issue with the buses...some of the best service we have ever had. We will be there again in August and will be using buses primarily.

We like that it is "tucked away" and quiet and peaceful. We've never had an issue with the distance to the front of the complex...just hop any of the buses as they all make their last stop at the Hospitality House.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

This is such a hard decision! It's either old key west or bonnet creek for us and we are having such a hard time deciding. We do love bonnet creek and the jacuzzi and all the extra space. We don't NEED it though. I just don't want to end up at old key west feeling like "gee, we may as well of stayed at bonnet creek"
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
This is such a hard decision! It's either old key west or bonnet creek for us and we are having such a hard time deciding. We do love bonnet creek and the jacuzzi and all the extra space. We don't NEED it though. I just don't want to end up at old key west feeling like "gee, we may as well of stayed at bonnet creek"
Then stay at BC. And stop by OKW when you are at BC to see what it is like. It's our favorite resort of all. But we don't stay in studios at any DVC resort if we can help it.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at OKW twice in the past.Both times we were very far away from the main area - which is very annoying. WE had to drive just to get to the main pool! I do like the peaceful theming and the boat to DTD is great. Also the studios are the only DVC studios w/ 2 queens and the 1br are a nice size...

Did you ever consider SSR? I think they are in the same point range/price...SSR has more/better pools/slides and food options. I have also stayed their twice...stay in the Springs! - right near the main area/bus/pool.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: