Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
kandb
DIS Veteran

Need Opinions!!!

Our family has gone to disney yearly for the last 7 years, our children are 9,9,3 and our last visit was Sept, 2012. Our children's spring break is a little later and we decided to go down to Florida for a week in April but are doing discovery cove/seaworld and acquatica, staying offsite at an Embassy Suites for around $80/night (government rate). I am really sad about coming to Orlando and not going to disney but the rest of the family is OK with the change, economically this vacation will be much cheaper. I booked a dinner at Ohana's and a dinner at Chef Mickey's. I am wondering, if it will bother me more to go when I am really not visiting disney or will I be okay with it. (believe it or not the Ohana's and Chef Mickey's is the thing I am looking forward to the most ). Has anyone gone to disney just for a few dinner's and enjoyed it or did you miss going to the parks and thought it was better to just stay away???

PS - My husband thinks I'm nuts, he can't believe I would want to go to disney again after just being there in Sept, he just doesn't get the
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
KMarston
Mouseketeer

It would kill me to be so close but yet so far!!!! I'm sure you will enjoy everything you have planned though!
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

I did that but at disneyland 2 summers ago. Stayed at a hotel about 1 block from DL, but only went to Legoland, Knottsberry farm, the beach, baseball game and Universal Hollywood. It did make me a bit crazy, but i knew we would be back for DL in October for halloween. We did go to Downtown Disney to shop. I dont know if that made it better or worse!!??
Old 01-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Becky925
Mouseketeer

I would have to agree with pp, I don't think I could be so close and not go. In fact I have a reoccurring nightmare that I'm in Orlando and every attempt I make to get into MK is thwarted in some weird dream ways.

I'm not sure I could be at a resort looking at the buses going to the parks and knowing I can't get on one and go. That's just me though, I know others who think I'm nuts and have no problem with it.
Becky925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
mel&me
Hello from New York

would not bother me at all. Have been to orlando area a couple times and not even went on disney property. Also went once and ate at ESPN club, walked around board walk for a short time then left.
My opinion, if it bothers you that much, I would not even go on property.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
graceandhayes
Mouseketeer

My family, DW, DS7 and DD6, went to WDW in Feb 2012 and Sea World/Discovery Cove in Nov 2012. The first thing my wife asked when we got to our hotel in Nov by Sea World, "How far is it to Disney World". It was tough being so close, but we had a great time, and knew that Disney was not in the plans for this trip. Sea World was nice, but Discovery Cove was amazing. This is the only park I have been to outside of Disney that had the Disney feel. Very clean, great customer service, just an amazing experience. By the way, we stayed at the SpringHill Suites Orlando by Sea World, and I highly recommend this hotel. Great price, clean very nice room, great staff at the hotel, great location, etc. Highly recommend the SpringHill Suites by Sea World.
graceandhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

We did that exact type of vacation one year. Only things we did at Disney were DTD, a meal at 'Ohana, and Typhoon Lagoon. The parks we visited were US/IOA and Seaworld. It was a great vacation. We didn't miss being at Disney parks at all. Have fun!
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
kandb
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone, I know we will have a great time, but I will miss disney.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: