Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #46
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

1. Overall Disney is likely self insured, but may also have some insurance for specail operations., IE DCL.The 4 vessels you will find if you dig deep enough are actually owned by 4 independent companies to limit liability. It is likely they are insured by one or more of the major P and I clubs (protection and indemity). These firms provide very specialized insurance for ocean shipping and vessels.

2. The four vessels are classed by LLoyds Registry, which does not mean they are insured by lloyds. The lloyds classification sociaty is there to approve the design of the vessel for strutural integrity,stability, operations and seaworthyness. They do routine inspections to make sure the good condition of the vessel is maintained and any needed repairs is done to Class reqiurements.

3. The USCG Captian of the port would be involved in the fireworks only to check that loading is done safely, with a preapproved plans and stored and handled on the vessel properly and to LLoyds reqiurements.

4. As to firing them at sea I agree with Captian BJ, at sea they would be in volved, unless something went wrong.

AKK
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #47
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Bull perhaps?

Woody

Yeah, that would be our NCL and HAL compared to DCL. Lol

I know you are hugely anti-DCL as I've seen your posts for years Woody but your opinion is just one opinion as is mine.....nothing more and nothing less.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #48
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
1. Overall Disney is likely self insured, but may also have some insurance for specail operationsAKK
FM Global has been a major insurer of Disney properties for years and it would not surprise me if they have more than a few Lloyd's syndicates insuring DCL at least for reinsurance.
Interesting 2008 article on Disney's risk manager.

http://www.riskandinsurance.com/stor...393&query=walt disney world
Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #49
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post

. . . I know you are hugely anti-DCL
Once again you're wrong.

I love Disney (just went to DL last week as I've been an Annual Pass holder for over 25 years) and love DCL (Platinum with four more DCL cruises booked). I would hardly consider that "anti-DCL."

But I cruise other cruise lines as well, and like the strengths each cruise line has to offer.

Woody

Last edited by woody73; 01-14-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #50
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Once again you're wrong.

I love Disney (just went to DL last week as I've been an Annual Pass holder for over 25 years) and love DCL (Platinum with four more DCL cruises booked). I would hardly consider that "anti-DCL."

But I cruise other cruise lines as well, and like the strengths each cruise line has to offer.

Woody

I'm not wrong woody. I've followed/surfed this board and you are 90% negative towards DCL. I don't have a problem with that as this is an open forum but don't pretend you are unbiased. Anyone can search on your posts and very quickly see a trend!
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #51
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_BJ View Post
the only 'approvals' I'm aware of for a cruise ship to launch fireworks would come from their insurance company. As a CG Cutter Commanding Officer working the Carib' I was aware of no law or regulation prohibiting the launching of fireworks at sea - so long as they would not be mistaken for marine distress flares and even then jurisdiction is questionable). Plenty of private boat owners shoot off fireworks at night.

ALL ships already carry a quantity of pyrotechnics - another name for safety and signaling flares (let's not even open the issue of ammunition) IMO and SOLAS already cover storage for those materials on cruise ships. DCL simply wanted to carry more. BTW, don't forget DCL stopped fireworks for a time, after they set their ship on fire (a boo boo) Hence the new launch system?

Disney got approval from LLoyds in my opinion ... and probably pursued it mostly because they have a LARGE in house fireworks production capability - they could do fireworks at sea at less cost then other cruise lines. Don't they launch/make more annually than any other company therefore their cost was minimal? Possibly something like the half truth they tell {told} about being the only ship with approval for yellow lifeboats. Yes they petitioned IMO for a change which was approved. Nothing stopped others from doing it B4 - no one else saw the need. Today a bunch of ships have yellow lifeboats.

I like DCL ... but sometimes their PR department is a bit overly creative for my liking ...
I attended a lecture by Tom McAlpin when he was president of DCL (he was CFO when the line started). He said USCG approval was needed for the color or the lifeboats and the fireworks. And that each time they do the fireworks they are required to radio that they are starting them and then that they are finished.

I have NO knowledge as to the accuracy of this info, but it was part of his lecture.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #52
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Ok, we've been on 7 DCL cruises (6 since 8/2010) and have 4 more booked (next one March 9th!!). I'd say we love DCL. Am I dreaming of some new ports out of the FL ports? Yes. Definitely. Right now, we prefer to cruise more often and we can do so by driving to the port vs. flying. DH & I are totally aware that there are other cruise lines out there that go to new exciting ports (duh), but right now, we are sticking with DCL. That being said, this ship is literally the first non-DCL ship that looks interesting to me. Those mega Allure/Oasis, Epic, Dream (Carnival) ships just don't intrigue us, or DD. The video for this ship put out by NCL is awesome! There are so many cool new & unique features of the ship itself and the staterooms look very cool! It looks totally different; the way the restaurants have outside seating - we would love that!!! I would love to visit the pink sandy beaches of Bermuda!! (On a side note, I had to laugh; this ship out of NY has a 12-night southern Caribbean cruise. If NCL out of NY can have that option, certainly DCL out of freakin' FL could!!!!)

Now, I live in Tampa, so I'm not going to go up to NY to sail on this ship. The sister ship, the Getaway, is going to have its home port in Miami. If that ship is the same & visits new ports that DCL does not, I might be swayed to try it out!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Old 01-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #53
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

I am curious as to what makes fireworks "family-friendly"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108
She's 3 and she's been on 4 Disney cruises. ...As a 3YO, she's "climbed" the Coba pyramid in Mexico and visited Chichen Itza with us. She's been on 24 flights over 5 hours in length. ...This year we're going to London, Barcelona and Paris. ...For good measure, we're throwing in a Disney Magic Med cruise....
I just have to say she's a dang lucky and fortunate 3 year old.

- Dreams

Last edited by Disney Dreams; 01-15-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #54
HappyPeach
Mouseketeer

That sounds cool! I would consider cruising on the Breakaway if it sailed out of Florida.
4 day Disney Wonder, June 2007 -*- 7 day Eastern Caribbean Disney Magic, February 2010 -*- 4 day Disney Wonder, May 2010 -*- 7 day Western Caribbean Disney Magic, February 2011 -*- 7 day Eastern Caribbean Disney Magic, April 2011 -*- 5 day Disney Dream, January 2012 -*- 7 day Disney Fantasy, April 2013 -*-12 day EBTA Disney Magic, May 2014

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: