Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
cushdisney
Earning My Ears

MUST-DOs for mid 20s couple

What are some MUST-DO/CAN'T MISSES for a couple in their mid-20s going down in January. We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, have reservations at Cali Grill for sunset, a character breakfast at O'Hana, reservations at Rose and Crown for Illuminations, and breakfast reservations at Boma... any hidden gems (romantic, fun, food, drinks, etc) we NEED to do??? We are planning on trying to hit up all the parks so all suggestions are welcome
cushdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
travelin' tigger

I've finally met Tigger and I'm doin' the "Super Duper Alley Ooper Loop-de-Looper Bounce"!

Jellyrolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushdisney View Post
What are some MUST-DO/CAN'T MISSES for a couple in their mid-20s going down in January. We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, have reservations at Cali Grill for sunset, a character breakfast at O'Hana, reservations at Rose and Crown for Illuminations, and breakfast reservations at Boma... any hidden gems (romantic, fun, food, drinks, etc) we NEED to do??? We are planning on trying to hit up all the parks so all suggestions are welcome
This falls in the fun/drink category - a night at Jellyrolls. It's a dueling piano bar on the Boardwalk - doors open at 7pm, entertainment starts at 8pm. Always a must for me every trip and the piano players are very talented. It's all-request and although there's a $12 cover charge, it's well worth it!!!

Enjoy!!

2015: AKV Mar ~ 2014: BWV Mar • GFV/BLT Jul • OKW Nov ~ 2013: BWV Mar • BWV Jul • OKW Nov ~ 2012: BWV Feb • BCV Aug • OKW Nov ~ 2011: OKW May • AKV Jan ~ 2010: OKW Nov • HR/BCV Aug • ASMu/BCV May • AKV Jan ~ 2009: BWV Dec • OKW Oct • ASMu Sep • Pop July • BWV May • Pop Feb ~ 2008: OKW Nov • BCV Aug • BWV Jun/Jul • BWV Mar ~ 2007: BWV Dec • ASSp/BWV Nov • ASSp/BWV Sep • ASMu May•BWV Mar ~ 2006: BWV Dec • Dolphin Sep/BWV Oct • ASMu Aug • Pop/BCV May • Dolphin/BWV Jan ~ 2005: Swan/HR/OKW Dec • ASMo Sep/BWV Oct • Pop Feb ~ 2004: Swan/RPR Dec • Pop/WL Oct • Safari May • Pop Jan ~ 2003: Dolphin/RPR Nov/Dec • CSR Jun • CBR Jan ~ 2002: POFQ/ASMu Dec • ASSp Jun • ASMu Feb ~ 2001: ASMu Nov

travelin' tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves

I agree with the PP about Jellyrolls. If you like dancing there is also Atlantic Dance Hall which I believe has no cover, and if you're sports fans the ESPN Zone is a lot of fun!

Maybe a behind the scenes tour? We especially love the segway tours at EPCOT and Keys to the Kingdom at MK.

Take some time to really explore the countries at World Showcase. There are a lot of nice gardens to walk through and explore (Japan, US, UK, Canada) that can make for some great time together and photos.

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Jellyrolls!!!we love it we always go with friends and just us too.

Also maybe the new bowling alley in DTD. It has pool tables, live music, bars, food etc. I think some nights they will have over 21 upstairs.

pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
akaler2010
Mouseketeer

For my DH and I, the best thing we did was to have sit down dinners at nice restaurants every night. It made it romantic and a chance to get away from the chaos of the parks.
akaler2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Skip3key
Earning My Ears

I HIGHLY recommend the California Grill- best food we ever ate for both our last trips, and we did the EPCOT segway tour 2 weeks ago and it was fantastic! One thing we also did was go out the International gateway at EPCOT and walk around the Boardwalk, stopping in the different resorts to see the Christmas decorations, and rode around the monorail and did the same...was neat to just see all the resorts for future planning. We attempted to "Drink around the World" at EPCOT, but actually split all the drinks and did it over 2 days...was still fun to do. Also, the Hoop-De-Doo Review at the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds is usually the highlight of our trip and is just a good time.
Skip3key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
nblake05
Mouseketeer

We did the Wild Africa Trek and it was great because on our tour, at least, it was all adults! I know that's not guaranteed but it is sill nice to do a bit of AK without lines or crowds. Also, we like to catch the Hoopdeedoo and afterwards take a romantic carriage ride.

Laughter is timeless.Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.--Walt Disney
nblake05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
ruckelc
Earning My Ears

You're staying at AKL so I would definitely say that you should have dinner at Jiko! My dgf and I loved everything about the restaurant; the waitstaff was incredibly friendly, the atmosphere was very nice, and the food was by far the best that we ate while on property. Another thing I would suggest is that both of yall grab an adult beverage or some coffee and just wander around World Showcase after Illuminations. We did this both of our nights at Epcot and it made for some very enjoyable evenings.
ruckelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
jdtopgun71
Mouseketeer

I would rent one of the water sprites and explore seven seas lagoon. We did it on our last trip and had a blast.
CBR Apr 2005/CSR Apr 2006/Hilton Grand Vacation Seaworld Mar 2008/HGVC Tuscany Jan 2009 (Took DS to WDW College Program)/HGVC Seaworld Apr 2009/WL Villas June 2010/POR Riverside 2010/HGVC Parc Soleil Nov 2011/HGVC Seaworld Dec 2011/Wyndham Lake Buena Vista/WL Villas June 2012/HGVC Seaworld Dec 2012

Me (43) DW (47) DS (24)DD (18)DD (17)
jdtopgun71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Lifted07Duramax
Earning My Ears

Good thread keep the comments coming Ill be going there in less than 70 days
Lifted07Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer

Awesome choice w/ the Cali Grill for sunset dinner, that would have been my first suggestion.

I'd second the post above that mentions taking your time exploring World Showcase.. my DBf and I had a blast last June trying to order either a drink and/or food item from each country, and finishing them before moving on to the next.. that way you really get to enjoy every part of each country-- and you're having fun along the way

We (a couple, young twenties) stayed at AKL Kidani, and we loved the atmosphere- it is pretty romantic in itself just walking around the dimly lit resort and savannahs at night time- so I would make sure that you save plenty of time for that. We also loved our Wine/Meal at Jiko- we found it to be quite romantic and different than anything else we have ever experienced before.

Most importantly, I think I would stress taking your time. During our first trip down there, we spent half the time running around/sweating like idiots and missed out on a lot of the romantic moments/photo ops/drinks/food. By the end of our week, we had finally slowed down enough to enjoy the little things. Luckily, we're going back in 11 days now, so hopefully after the marathon we will be forced to move slower anyways haha

I hope you have a wonderful trip!!

Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay

magicLAL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
Karabee
DIS Veteran

If you're there on a Wed do the wine tasting at Jiko. If you're into wine like we are it's wonderful - I wrote a trip report about it but I'm on my iPad and its too hard to jump around to find the link. Also, a spa treatment might be nice if you want to just relax. I believe SSR spa is closed for refurb right now but GF just reopened. I also agree with CG although we only went there for drinks and arrived early before the crowds. We sat at the bar nod enjoyed the quiet before other people showed up. Also, in my opinion, the best restaurant for a romantic and adult meal is Citricos. So, so good.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
cushdisney
Earning My Ears

If anyone is interested here is my tentative itinerary for us. It's a lot packed into 3 days and I don't expect to follow it strictly... Just an idea of what we'll be doing. I made a couple reservations just incase but I don't see us using all of them (don't worry I will call and cancel if we won't make it). Suggestions welcome. I know it's a lot and I don't expect to do it all... Just a game plan

Day 1:

arrive in Orlando at early am and drive over to AKL
Check in at AKL
Go to Hollywood Studios
12:55pm lunch reservations at SciFi Dine-In Theater (doubt we’ll use it)
2pm head back to Animal Kingdom Lodge
Hit up Magic Kingdom's Main Street for a little bit before dinner if we have time
5:45pm sunset dinner at California Grill
7:45 Celebrate the Magic
8pm Wishes Fireworks
Head over to Grand Floridian and get some drinks at the bar then head out to the lagoon to watch the Electric Water Parade on the lake from beach
Head over to Downtown Disney to bar hop

Day 2:

8am Magic Kingdom opens for Extra Magic Hours – hit up the new Fantasyland
10am Character breakfast at Polynesian Resort O’Hana
After breakfast head back to Magic Kingdom for a few more hours then head over to Epcot around 1:30
3pm lunch at the Biergarten in Germany (may not use)
DRINK AROUND THE WORLD
7:50pm dinner at the Rose & Crown Pub in England --- ask to try and get a table on the water for the 9pm Illuminations fireworks (may not use if park isn't busy and we can get a good spot on the water)
Leave Epcot and head over to the Boardwalk for the Dueling Piano bar

Day 3:
8am Breakfast at Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge
Head over to Animal Kingdom
12:30 lunch at Yak & Yeti (also probably won’t actually go and sit down to eat but made the reservation in case)
Downtown Disney for any last minute shopping

And then flight leaves that late that night
cushdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
tinkrebell
Disney Daydreamer

So surprised no one has yet mentioned the Epcot Mexico Pavilion TEQUILA BAR!

Seriously, it's in the pyramid and often has lines just to get to the bar during the busy season, although it's easy to get a seat if you go midday! It's a must-do that never seems to make that darn list of *must-do's* on the TV ... LOL :-)

Also, what days of the week are you going? It doesn't look like your schedule will allow it this time, but if you guys come back, try and sign up for the Dining with an Imagineer lunch (at HS' Hollywood Brown Derby) or dinner (at the Boardwalk's Flying Fish Cafe). It's a little expensive, but has to be the most fun two hours I've ever spent learning about Disney - and as my Imagineer and I have actually kept in touch, it's continued to be a great experience ever since!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #15
ziggystardust
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrebell View Post
So surprised no one has yet mentioned the Epcot Mexico Pavilion TEQUILA BAR!

Seriously, it's in the pyramid and often has lines just to get to the bar during the busy season, although it's easy to get a seat if you go midday! It's a must-do that never seems to make that darn list of *must-do's* on the TV ... LOL :-)

Also, what days of the week are you going? It doesn't look like your schedule will allow it this time, but if you guys come back, try and sign up for the Dining with an Imagineer lunch (at HS' Hollywood Brown Derby) or dinner (at the Boardwalk's Flying Fish Cafe). It's a little expensive, but has to be the most fun two hours I've ever spent learning about Disney - and as my Imagineer and I have actually kept in touch, it's continued to be a great experience ever since!
agree completely! We went to the tequila bar on our last trip, I don't think it existed on my previous visits. I will definitely plan more time for it next time we go. We were lucky enough to get a table no problem and just enjoyed the environment. I went back recently with my parents though and the line was out the door. So its all about timing. Worth a visit though. (and great margaritas)

Some of the things I've done in the past...
California grill - RECOMMEND (even just for drinks)
Victoria and Alberts - best filet mignon I've had, but wouldn't go back
Carriage Ride around WL - ehh, probably wouldn't do it again.
Rent water mice at one of the MK resorts- do this every time
Drinks at Poly - my idea of a vacation is a blue hawaiian sitting on the beach of the Poly
I'm sure there's a bunch more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Oh and I've also done a drink around the monorail type thing. Get off at every stop and look around the hotels. Get a drink. But I usually get stuck at the Poly, I like it so much

have fun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: