Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #106
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

By the time the quiz was finished, we also had finished our drinks. We went back to the cabin to grab our swim stuff and I got my iPad and then we headed for the Rainforest Room. It was really quiet in there. I had the best intentions to read, but my eyes started to feel quite heavy. So I put the iPad away and had a little nap. When I woke up, it was nearly time for a photo opportunity with Sorcerer Mickey. I had a quick shower and then headed back to our cabin to get changed into the gown that I had been wearing for Palo the previous evening. Apart from Sorcerer Mickey, a number of other characters were due to be out and I expected them to be in their semi-formal wear. Unfortunately this was not the case. They were out in their nautical outfits, which was a bit strange. I had my photo taken with Mickey and Minnie and decided to pass on the others. I did however have some photos taken against the sunset backdrop and on the staircase. I then headed back to the Promenade Lounge.

I had spotted Disney Trivia on the Navigator earlier in the day and had asked Graham if we could do this. He agreed. When the allotted time came, there was no sign of him. The member of cruise staff lent me her Wave Phone so that I could ring him. He was in our cabin and picked up the phone and came down a couple of minutes afterwards. We were the only takers for Disney Trivia, which was just as well. The questions were rather obscure. We ended up having to play against each other and neither of us did particularly well. It was still fun and we got a winner's medal each for being good sports. The photographer by the white backdrop did not have anything to do so we decided to have a photo taken with our medals before returning to our cabin.

dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #107
dolphingirl47

We still had some time before dinner and decided to have some wine on the balcony. It was lovely to sit outside on a balmy evening enjoying the stars while sipping some Moscato. Maybe it was not the brightest idea to have some wine before Graham had to tie me into my gown, but he did a great job. Once he had worked his magic, I put my hair up and put some make up on. Sorcerer Mickey was due to be out again just before our dinner and I decided to check out how long his line was. He was not particularly busy so I had some more photos taken.

Once I was done, we headed up to Animator's Palate for dinner. The menu that night was the Captain's Gala Menu. Two of our table mates were at Palo that night, but the other two had returned. Graham ended up with Oysters Rockefeller on the Half Shell stuffed with Spinach, Onion and Butter topped with Bacon and Wild Mushroom Soup with White Truffle Oil. Our server brought him two main courses again: the Oven-Baked Lobster Tail with Lemon Butter, Bean Caserole and Saffron Rice and Pan-Seared Venison Medallions with Red Cabbage, Potato Croquettes and a Port and Juniper Reduction. For his dessert, he had chosen the Banana Creme Brûlée with Caramelised Banana. I went with the Garlic and Herb Sautéed Shrimp with Spaghetti Vegetables and Lemon Aioli, Minestrone and Oven Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Creamy Cheese Polenta, Sautéed Wild Mushrooms and Merlot Reduction. For my dessert, I had the Tropical Sundae, which consisted of Rainbow Sherbet, Coconut Macaroon and Rum-infused Coconut Cream.

After dinner, we made the rounds of the backdrops and other photo opportunities. They were taking photos on the staircase that night, but as the photographer was not particularly busy and we had missed this on Formal Night, I asked him if he could also take some photos with Helmsman Mickey. He was happy to accommodate this. Once we had all of our photos taken, we went back to our cabin. I took a photo of our towel animal and then we got ready for bed.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #108
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Your manatee interaction looked like a blast; the joy showed on your face! And you did a great job with your fish pics, too!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 25/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #109
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Oh gosh! I got so far behind and you have been an updating machine. I am so jealous we didn't do the Mayans tour on Costa Maya. Those pyramids are stunning. Just gorgeous. If I ever get back there, I WILL be doing that tour.

I am loving all the character shots you got too. We just never seem to have enough time to do it all and those don't always make it on the list. My sister did more on the Dream, but mostly because little Abby was hysterical if she didn't. She LOVED the chacraters.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #110
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

The manatee interaction looks so fun. Something , again, I will need to look into. it looks like a really fun day. I really enjoy Cozumel. I hope to get back there in the future.

I love your purple dress and all your pictures are just fabulous!
We had Palo this evening, and I really wished we did it another night. Actually, I was not a big fan of Palo at all, so I could've lived without doing it at all. But I am glad I experienced it once for dinner.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #111
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

This is my favorite gown so far, just gorgeous!

The manatee excursion looks like such fun. I'm glad you were able to work around things to be able to do it.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #112
dolphingirl47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Your manatee interaction looked like a blast; the joy showed on your face! And you did a great job with your fish pics, too!
It really was amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Oh gosh! I got so far behind and you have been an updating machine. I am so jealous we didn't do the Mayans tour on Costa Maya. Those pyramids are stunning. Just gorgeous. If I ever get back there, I WILL be doing that tour.

I am loving all the character shots you got too. We just never seem to have enough time to do it all and those don't always make it on the list. My sister did more on the Dream, but mostly because little Abby was hysterical if she didn't. She LOVED the chacraters.
I can't believe that I have overtaken you. I am currently working on the last sea day. Still, there is a lot from WDW to come.

Chacchoben was absolutely amazing. I love that it is still relatively untouched.

The characters are a huge highlight of my cruises. I am quite a serious person in my everyday life and have a very responsible job, but let me get anywhere near characters and I turn into a kid. Initially the characters don't know what to make of me, but as the cruise goes on, we have a lot of fun with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
The manatee interaction looks so fun. Something , again, I will need to look into. it looks like a really fun day. I really enjoy Cozumel. I hope to get back there in the future.

I love your purple dress and all your pictures are just fabulous!
We had Palo this evening, and I really wished we did it another night. Actually, I was not a big fan of Palo at all, so I could've lived without doing it at all. But I am glad I experienced it once for dinner.
Cozumel is one of my favourite ports. When we were planning our Western Caribbean cruise for 2009, I was warned that Cozumel is Nassau on steroids. I hate Nassau with a passion. I am sure there are parts of Cozumel where this is true, but we just love Chankanaab. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will release similar deals for the September Panama Canal cruise than they are offering for the May one. This would be my perfect cruise taking in Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Cozumel, which I all adore, Cartagena, which I really would love to visit and ending in Galveston where we want to go back to anyway. It would also be amazing to cross the Panama Canal in the opposite direction.

I can recommend the Manatee Interaction. This is also a Dolphin Discovery facility, but there the animals have plenty of space.

What a shame that you did not really rate Palo. We had an off experience at Palo on our Med cruise in 2010, which resulted in us passing on Palo on our Transatlantic cruise. When we did the Panama Canal Cruise on the Wonder we figured it was a different ship and we gave it another go. We have not looked back since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
This is my favorite gown so far, just gorgeous!

The manatee excursion looks like such fun. I'm glad you were able to work around things to be able to do it.
This is my favourite gown, too. Normally blue is much more my colour, but I just love the lilac.

Corinna
Old 01-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #113
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I think this is my fav gown as well. Would have loved the manatee experience.
Chilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #114
Tinkerbell1989
DIS Veteran

Hey Corinna,

I've been popping in and out of TR, but I've now read it the whole way through! What a cruise! Can't wait to read more!

Steffi xx

2013's Big Celebration Christmas Trip 'Finally got my own way!'...October 2012 TR Playing 'I Spy' in Disney... December 2010 TR Our Youtube Channel

DLRP August 2004 DLRP June 2008

WDW October 2000 WDW April 2003 WDW December 2006 WDW December 2010 WDW CSR October 2012 WDW December 2013
Tinkerbell1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #115
dolphingirl47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1989 View Post
Hey Corinna,

I've been popping in and out of TR, but I've now read it the whole way through! What a cruise! Can't wait to read more!

Steffi xx
Welcome on board. The cruise is just about finished, but the second main part of the holiday is pretty magical, too.

Corinna
Old 01-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #116
dolphingirl47

Day 10

Suddenly the last day of our cruise had arrived. We have been spoiled with our long cruises and 7nights is simply no longer enough. It still was a truly magical cruise and I have no regrets that we decided to do this. After three very intense port days in a row, this day was going at a much slower pace. We had our character breakfast that morning, but that was not until 9:45 so a nice lie in was in order. We did wake up around 8:30 and got ready for the day to come. It looked like a beautiful day and has we had still plenty of time, we decided to go for a walk around Deck 4. We ended up doing the full mile. The ship was relatively quiet, the sun was shining and it was a lovely way to start the day. Once we had done our mile, we headed back inside. The shops were already open. Earlier in the cruise, I had fallen in love with one of the latest Disney Cruise Line exclusive Dooney and Bourke bags. They had launched a new line for the Maiden Voyage of the Disney Fantasy that has the name of all the ships on it. What I had not realised was that they also do a nylon backpack in this design. I fell in love with this the first time I saw this. They only had three of them and none of them had Disney Magic prominently on it, but they had one with Disney Wonder on the flap. So Graham got this as my late birthday present.

By the time we completed our purchase, it was time to head down to Parrot Cay for our character breakfast. We were the only people from our table to be present and I almost wish we had not bothered either. Service throughout the cruise had been a bit hit and miss, but this was nothing compared to this particular meal. All started off well enough. As soon as we sat down, our assistant server came by to check if we wanted coffee and juice and our Server was straight behind to bring the menu. About 10 minutes later, the characters arrived. We had seen the first two characters before our order for the food was taken and the coffee arrived. Graham had Sausage, Eggs, Bacon, Mushrooms, Tomato and Hash Browns. He also asked for some toast that he never got. I had Sausage, Egg and Hash Brown and also decided to have a Mickey Waffle with Dulce de Leche. My Dulce de Leche was missing and it took me a while to attract the attention of our server, who then went to get this. They normally make silly hats out of napkins during the character breakfast and all the tables around us had this, but our serving team had disappeared. I do wonder if the service issues we had this time round had something to do with the fact that the tips were included in our cruise fare so they knew that they would get a tip whatever the service was like. Still, it was nice to have the characters come around to visit and we saw Minnie, Mickey, Goofy, Pluto, Chip and Dale in their tropical outfits in quick succession.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #117
dolphingirl47

After breakfast, Graham mentioned that he was going to go for a swim. As the weather was so lovely and I had nothing else planned, I decided to come with him. Although the area around the pool and the hot tubs were pretty busy, the pool itself was empty for the most part. Every now and again somebody came in to cool off, but they were gone again pretty quickly. We just swam length. The water temperature was perfect for this. When we had enough, we got dried off and headed back to the cabin to get changed. The next thing on the menu was the Captain’s signing. I had actually not bought any souvenirs this time round nor was there anything in particular I wanted to buy other than a pin for the Galveston cruises. However, my Create Your Own Vinylmation that I had signed by the characters had been returned the previous evening and all the characters had signed this on the front. So I decided to take this to have the back of the head signed by the Captain. The line was basically non-existent. This was the shortest line I had ever seen for a Captain’s signing. I was very impressed that he remembered our names. Even though it was a relatively quiet cruise, he must have met hundreds of people. He was quite impressed with the idea of having a Vinylmation signed. While we were at Treasure Ketch, I also got my pin.

After the signing, we headed down to Parrot Cay. The buffet on the last day is always a Seafood Buffet. I don’t eat Seafood, but there are normally plenty of alternatives for me. We had at one stage pondered just getting Room Service again and I wished we had gone down that route, but I wanted to have another go at taking some photos of Parrot Cay and this was my best chance. Well, the only main course that did not contain Fish or Seafood was a Beef Stir Fry. This was very nice, but it was still slim pickings for me. There were some vegetables and salad ingredients to bulk out the meal. Graham had more Shrimp, Crab Legs, Salmon En Croute and some other Fish dish and he seemed to enjoy everything. I had some Chocolate Cake and some Lime Mousse for dessert, which was very nice. After lunch, I took a few photos around Parrot Cay and they turned out a lot better than the once I had taken in the morning. I also took some photos of the atrium and of the Gingerbread House that had come along nicely while we were on the ship.

We still had nothing planned so we headed up to Shutters to collect the photos and hand them in at the counter. It transpired that a few of them had made their way on the kiosk, but had not been printed. I asked what to do about this and after one of the Shutters staff helped me look for them, he advised me to order them from the kiosk and they would be printed and ready when I would collect my CD and prints the next morning. This sorted out; we decided to head to the Rainforest Room for some relaxation. We quickly went back to the cabin to get our swim stuff and I picked up my iPad so that I could read while chilling out in a heated tile lounger and we were on our way. For a sea day, it was actually really quiet up there. We spent about 90 minutes up there and then decided that we had enough heat for now, but would come back later.

I still had not managed to get my Melon Mojito and Graham fancied a chocolate-free Café Toledo, which they made for him on the Wonder. So we decided to head to the Cove Café to see if they could make those drinks for us. It took a little while for the bartender to understand what Graham actually wanted and they had to get my drink from Signals, but we both loved our drinks. We were chatting with the bartenders. Graham decided to get another special order Café Toledo and I decided to have a Margarita. The Margarita was very good. By then it had got busier in Cove Café and we decided to move to one of the tables near the window where we watched the world go by and enjoyed our drinks.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #118
dolphingirl47

When we had finished our drinks, we decided to head back to the cabin to do our packing. This is not my favourite task, but I have to admit that just having to pack what I brought and not having to find room for Fish Extender gifts made this an easy process. About 20 minutes later, we were pretty much packed, the customs form was filled out and the luggage labels had been filled out and attached to our suitcases. All we needed to do later on was to put our swim stuff in. We rewarded ourselves for a job well done with the rest of our Moscato while sitting outside on our balcony. We had timed this perfectly as just as we sat down, the sun started to set. It was a really beautiful sunset and a fitting conclusion to a truly magical cruise.

Once the sun had set, we headed back up to the Rainforest Room, which we had completely to ourselves. It was nice to just relax and read my book. We left the Rainforest Room around 19:45 so that we could have a quick shower and get ready for dinner. Leaving the Rainforest Room for the last time on a cruise always makes me a little sad.

Soon it was time to head down to the dining room. Our last dinner was at Parrot Cay This time everybody was present again. The Menu that night was Till We Meet Again. Graham ended up with the Trio of Salmon, which consisted of Smoked Salmon, Gravad Lax and Salmon Canapés rolled in Potato Lefse with a Dill and Mustard Sauce and Lobster and Crawfish Bisque with Roasted Corn Relish. Our server brought him two main courses again: Garlic and Rosemary-marinated Sirloin of Lamb with Onion, Leek Potato Gratin and Sun-dried Tomato Jus and Seafood Linguini with Lobster, Shrimp, Scallops, Clams and Asparagus in a White Wine Sauce. I had the Grilled Potato and Goat Cheese Napoleon, the Potato and Leek Soup without the Caviar and Fillet of Beef Wellington with Fingerling Potatos, Baby Vegetables and Cabernet Black Truffle Jus. Graham had Deep-Dish Apple Cranberry Crumble with Vanilla Ice Cream for dessert and I stuck to the traditional Baked Alaska. This time round he got outmanoeuvred. On our Hawaii cruise, he had a quick bathroom break when he heard Tinkerbell fly. This is the signal for the serving teams to return to the kitchen in preparation for the flag parade. Graham hates this with a passion. This time round, our dessert was served just before Tinkerbell appeared so he was stuck. I am normally as much a cynic about he is about the "shows" in the dining rooms, but I love this particular one and it always leaves me with a lump in my throat. This always starts with the chefs carrying the flaming Baked Alaska through the dining room. However, this time round they had switched off the lights in the dining room so this had a real wow factor. After this, the lights came back on and the serving teams paraded around the dining room carrying flags of all the nationalities represented on board to a Caribbean version of It's A Small World. Once this was over, we finished our desserts and gave out our tip envelopes and then we said goodnight to our table mates.

On the last night, there is the Till We Meet Again show in the atrium. I have to admit that I still have not seen this in its entirety. I have to make a concerted effort to finally experience this on our next cruise when we don't have to worry about packing and putting the luggage out. However, I knew that Stitch would be out. We were a little early, but I knew from past experience that Stitch normally hangs out by the door near the Future Cruise desk. So I was waiting for him there. He turned up shortly afterwards and initially I had him to myself. Graham took a photo of us. Once some other people showed up, I gave him another hug and then we went back to the cabin. I quickly put the last few things in the suitcases and put them outside for collection. I then took a quick photo of our towel animal and then settled down for the night.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #119
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Ooh, sunset pics! What a lovely last evening!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 25/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #120
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I really hope you get to see this as it was really amazing. Are you stopping at Costa Maya though? A dear friend of mine and her family are going on a 6 night cruise on the Magic in February and they stop at Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Corinna
You're right. Dang it!

All your excursions looked fabulous and I loved all the gowns. I can't believe how many "costume changes" you execute in one day. I'm lucky just to get the both of us dressed once much less multiple times!

I can't believe you're already on the last day. Re: the Dooney Bag, I saw that same pattern on my cruise, but since I was looking for such a little bag, the pattern was lost on that purse. It's nice and I love the placement on your tote!

After hearing about your Character Breakfast, I feel like we made the right choice on our cruise to have a second visit to Palo. Even though I love the characters, I was more happy to have a spectacular meal instead of the character interaction. I'm sure the servers on our cruise (if they were the same ones as dinner) would have been wonderful, but when comparing the meal to Palo there isn't a comparison. Sorry that you didn't get your funny hats. I'm not sure we would like the whole funny hats thing, so that's not a big appeal for me.

Looking forward to hearing about the WDW part!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: