Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #946
BabyFu18
DIS Veteran

Also planning an August trip and wondering how the fastpass+ thing will work for people staying at SOG or using military tickets. But trying to just go with the flow for now and hope good solid info comes out about the new system well before my trip.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #947
MegN529
Mouseketeer

Made reservations a few months ago. I just saw that they were advertising a package that included breakfast for April as well as lower room rates. I called SOG and they happily upgraded our reservation! Very thankful because it will save us about $217 plus free breakfast. Service has always been great at SOG!

MegN529 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #948
MegN529
Mouseketeer

My husband, kids and I have always purchased the military 4-day hopper passes which we plan to do again in April. However, my husband has been suggesting we add a few extra days in the park so we can take our time a bit more. What options do I have for tickets? Do I purchase a standard ticket at full price or are there any other military tickets available at a lower rate? I would appreciate any input you all may have!

MegN529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #949
BabyFu18
DIS Veteran

There are several ticket options listed on the SOG website, I think you can get regular tickets for a slight discount as well as the Stars and Stripes tickets (which can be a better deal than the salute tickets for some families).

I haven't tried it but I've heard people say they've doubled up on salute tickets and used them back to back for more park days (since you can purchase up to six tickets).
Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #950
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFu18 View Post
There are several ticket options listed on the SOG website, I think you can get regular tickets for a slight discount as well as the Stars and Stripes tickets (which can be a better deal than the salute tickets for some families).

I haven't tried it but I've heard people say they've doubled up on salute tickets and used them back to back for more park days (since you can purchase up to six tickets).
We did this our last trip for the "adults" in our party (DH, I, and DD), but it is my understanding that you can no longer do this. There has to be a 7 day "space" in between ticket use.

eta: nevermind. I just went to find it on Steve's military disney tips site, and apparently they rescinded this as stipulation. So, you can buy and use them back-to-back.

http://www.militarydisneytips.com/bl...-many-changes/

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014

Last edited by goofyredraider; 01-17-2013 at 09:19 AM.
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #951
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFu18 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyredraider View Post
We did this our last trip for the "adults" in our party (DH, I, and DD), but it is my understanding that you can no longer do this. There has to be a 7 day "space" in between ticket use.

eta: nevermind. I just went to find it on Steve's military disney tips site, and apparently they rescinded this as stipulation. So, you can buy and use them back-to-back.

We did that last January, and we used all 8 days then, and then we added Waterpark Fun and More to one set of them so we could go to Disney Quest, then we went to Blizzard Beach in June.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #952
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyredraider View Post

Love that website! There is a link there where he does the math and helps you figure out which is your best option for your tickets.

Last edited by MAGICFOR2; 01-19-2013 at 03:09 PM.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #953
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Question for you Shades of Green Experts. We've stayed at SOG before so I'm familiar with the resort. However, we stayed there in our park commando days so we spent very little time at the resort. We're considering staying there this Christmas and so we are anticipating huge crowds at the parks. Because of this we see spending more time at the resort. We are DVC members so we are accustomed to the resort activites offered at those resorts. (We are out of points so can't stay DVC at Christmas.) My question is what organized activities are there at SOG? Or are there any? Any suggestions for things to do at the resort during the day? (We'll hit rope drop and go back to the parks in the evenings.)
dismagiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #954
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
Question for you Shades of Green Experts. We've stayed at SOG before so I'm familiar with the resort. However, we stayed there in our park commando days so we spent very little time at the resort. We're considering staying there this Christmas and so we are anticipating huge crowds at the parks. Because of this we see spending more time at the resort. We are DVC members so we are accustomed to the resort activites offered at those resorts. (We are out of points so can't stay DVC at Christmas.) My question is what organized activities are there at SOG? Or are there any? Any suggestions for things to do at the resort during the day? (We'll hit rope drop and go back to the parks in the evenings.)
Unfortunately there isn't really anything organized - they'll occasionally have an activity but nothing like at the other resorts.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #955
erinlovesmickey
Earning My Ears

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago for the first time and it was great! Our room was in the new section over by the fitness center and was so spacious. We had trouble with our AC when we got there (when it was 80s outside) so they moved us to another room with no problems. I loved being able to walk over to the Poly and hop on the monorail. While we were there they redid the lobby and it looks great!
erinlovesmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #956
jusero
DIS Veteran

Been off the site for a while. Happy to be back and talking Disney and Shades once again!

No serious reason for being absent...just work hours had me up so early and in bed so early, just didn't have time for the computer.

But, I'm baaaaaaaack!!

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #957
buffettgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusero View Post
Been off the site for a while. Happy to be back and talking Disney and Shades once again!

No serious reason for being absent...just work hours had me up so early and in bed so early, just didn't have time for the computer.

But, I'm baaaaaaaack!!
Welcome back. The thread has been slow in general - I only pop in when there is something new posted. I'd love to say I have another trip in the works but I don't - unless i escape off with my son for a few days. So in order to avoid that I'm avoiding this. hahaahah
Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #958
basilb
Earning My Ears

We have been to WDW 5 times and the only time we stayed somewhere other than SOG was when they were renovating and they bumped us to the Contemporary.

I'm wondering if Disney ever runs a special where staying at a Disney hotel is cheaper than SOG? We love SOG & we walk to the Poly for monorail and use SOG bus transportation and are completely satisfied.

For us, cost is the biggest reason for choosing SOG - it's not worth it for us to pay more for a more Disney themed hotel when we don't get back to our rooms til late and we're up by 7am.

What are your thoughts?
basilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #959
buffettgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilb View Post
We have been to WDW 5 times and the only time we stayed somewhere other than SOG was when they were renovating and they bumped us to the Contemporary.

I'm wondering if Disney ever runs a special where staying at a Disney hotel is cheaper than SOG? We love SOG & we walk to the Poly for monorail and use SOG bus transportation and are completely satisfied.

For us, cost is the biggest reason for choosing SOG - it's not worth it for us to pay more for a more Disney themed hotel when we don't get back to our rooms til late and we're up by 7am.

What are your thoughts?
well, yes, you can get a Disney room for cheaper (room rate) at the value resorts with the military promotion (not sure if that's still running).

But it's really like comparing apples and oranges. SOG rooms are larger than most Deluxe rooms and you can put 5 people in them. Also, you don't have to pay tax. So dollar to dollar comparison of similar rooms, no disney loses to SOG, but if you go room rate of SOG vs Value, you might come out ahead.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #960
basilb
Earning My Ears

SOG isn't at the same level as the value resorts - more like a moderate, I'd guess. So, I wouldn't even consider one of the value resorts even if it was cheaper. But, even with a 40% off mods discount, I think we'd still be better off at SOG.
basilb is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: