Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #211
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

I really enjoyed Kona when I was there last year, it was my first time. Nice atmosphere and that tonga toast is just to die for!
I am also a big fan of Crystal Palace and Chefs de France! Yummy!
(Wow, now I'm hungry!)
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #212
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Kona is a great breakfast... love the macadamia nut /pineapple pancakes & the pressed pot...

I agree that Chefs de France is one of the loveliest dining spaces on property...

Flame Tree does have good ribs and is one of the best CS places in the parks...

I haven't done Crystal Palace but I plan on remedying that next summer...

I can't really comment on Cape May... have never been...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #213
PrincessAmongPrinces
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose

19. Crystal Palace

For those of you who aren’t familiar, Crystal Palace is a character meal with Winnie the Pooh and friends at Magic Kingdom.

Not only does it have some of the cutest characters in the World.

It also has some of the best breakfast foods we’ve ever had at Disney.

This was by far my favorite breakfast too! The puffed French toast is so super delicious, I am getting hungry now just thinking about it!

Super jealous that you'll be back at WDW in a matter of days!!
PrincessAmongPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #214
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
I really enjoyed Kona when I was there last year, it was my first time. Nice atmosphere and that tonga toast is just to die for!
I am also a big fan of Crystal Palace and Chefs de France! Yummy!
(Wow, now I'm hungry!)
Yep, this countdown is making me hungry every time I work on it! Must mean it's a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Kona is a great breakfast... love the macadamia nut /pineapple pancakes & the pressed pot...

I agree that Chefs de France is one of the loveliest dining spaces on property...

Flame Tree does have good ribs and is one of the best CS places in the parks...

I haven't done Crystal Palace but I plan on remedying that next summer...

I can't really comment on Cape May... have never been...
I wish I liked coffee because everyone RAVES about the pressed pot at Kona. Chefs is so pretty, but have you guys seen the pictures of the remodeled (and expanded) bakery in the France pavilion? Wow, they did an amazing job!

I can't wait to hear what you think of Crystal Palace, I think you're gonna love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAmongPrinces View Post
This was by far my favorite breakfast too! The puffed French toast is so super delicious, I am getting hungry now just thinking about it!

Super jealous that you'll be back at WDW in a matter of days!!
You guys had especially wonderful breakfast at CP, celebrating Ryan and Jack's birthday with Pooh and the gang!

I wish you guys were coming with us in a couple of weeks!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #215
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Fueling Up on Tequila Before a Cruise

Welcome back friends, we last left off entering the den of Disney happiness, aka La Cava de Tequila, aka ďThe Ditch.Ē

Franklin and I had never been here before and it is such a cool little corner of Disney. Itís also a lot smaller than I expected. But they clearly had everything we were looking for.

You guys nailed Franklinís order (a jalapeno margarita) but no one managed to guess my order: a cucumber margarita!

I wasnít sure about the combination, but oh my gosh, it was the perfect, refreshing cocktail for that hot Disney day.

We chilled there for a while, enjoying our drinks and some chips and salsa. There was a huge group that took up the back third of the bar. They all had matching shirts (I think it was a birthday party or something). The group was LOUD, but really fun to watch. Some of the other patrons were getting annoyed by the groupís antics, but we saw it more as a floor show!

We made one more stop in Mexico, another first for us: Gran Fiesta!

There was quite the party that greeted us as we left the pavilion.

Weíd decided to make our way around the World Showcase, heading toward the Friendship Boat, so we could catch a ride to DHS.

But whatís the point of walking through the WS during the Food and Wine Festival without trying some tasty treats?

First up was an old favorite of mine, Chinaís pot stickers!

Franklin tried the Mongolian beef in a steamed bun for the first time.

My pot stickers were just as good as the other 8 billion times Iíve gotten them at the festival. Franklin said his was just okay.

We took a stroll through Germany to take a look at the trains. And look, they even had a mini F&W all set up!

I did a quick pin trade to pick up a monorail red pin, while Franklin stood in line to get another refreshment.

We made our way to the boat docks. And remember how I said it was pretty hot out? Well one of the guys in line decided it was much too hot for all his clothing and took his shirt off. Seriously dude, no one wants to stare at that.

We grabbed seats in the back of the Friendship Boat so Franklin could take you all on a little virtual tour of one of our favorite parts of Disney, the Epcot resorts area. On your right, youíll find Beach Club.

Further on to the right is Yacht Club, where I think Franklin and I are going to book the Disney portion of our honeymoon!

And on your left is a little place Franklin and I like to call home, the Boardwalk.

Sigh, just 16 days until we see you again!

Look, I know the boats arenít the most efficient means of transportation, but they might be the most gorgeous way to get from point A to point B in all of Disney.

But soon our scenic ride was over as we pulled into the DHS dock. I even managed to make a quick pin trade on our way into the park.

Hooray for Hollywood, weíd arrived at our second park of the day and the second park of the trip!

Thatís where weíll stop for now, but anyone care to guess where weíd head to first at DHS? Since Franklin and I keep going back and forth trying to figure out which Epcot resort we want to stay at for our honeymoon, I want to open the floor to all of you. Which is your favorite Epcot resort and why do you love it?
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Old 01-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #216
ness0905
Mouseketeer

So this is the first trip report I have read where its not finished and I plan to wait around I usually don't like to wait and prefer to only read completed reports but I love the photos and report and am excitedly waiting for more.
ness0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #217
merbobear
DIS Veteran

:sigh: Franklin has arguably some of the best TR pictures out there..and your descriptions match beautifully. You have one of my favorite TR's going, can't wait to read more.

merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #218
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness0905 View Post
So this is the first trip report I have read where its not finished and I plan to wait around I usually don't like to wait and prefer to only read completed reports but I love the photos and report and am excitedly waiting for more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merbobear View Post
:sigh: Franklin has arguably some of the best TR pictures out there..and your descriptions match beautifully. You have one of my favorite TR's going, can't wait to read more.
Awwww, thanks! You're both making me blush. Franklin and I have a lot of fun creating these TRs, so it's always so wonderful to see that people are enjoying them! I will have more of the countdown coming up soon and another TR chapter later today!

Old 01-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #219
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Favorite Disney Restaurants

15. Boma

We donít have photos from our Boma meal in October yet (Franklin is still hard at work editing the, um, 4,000 photos he took during the 10-day trip). So just my descriptions will have to suffice for today.

I know what youíre thinking, ďAll Disney breakfast buffets are pretty much the same.Ē But Iím here to tell you that youíre wrong. Yes, most of the buffets have the same eggs, sausage, bacon (Disney bacon, ick!), etc. But Boma sets itself apart with some of their more unusual offerings.

It had some really interesting combinations for their frittatas (in addition to the full-service omelet station). The buffet also included some of the same yummy carving station offerings as the dinner buffet. The ham was especially tasty (and they can use the same carving station ham in the omelets if you like!).

Plus, you get to start your day with the delicious West African Frunch (a combination of lemonade, pineapple juice, guava juice, orange juice, and papaya juice)!

14. Earl of Sandwich

I know what youíre thinking. ďSandwiches? How is a glorified Subway on anyoneís best-of list?Ē But hear me out, this sandwich shop isnít like anything youíve ever had before. For starters, never be scared away by the line inside the shop. Yes, it resembles Toy Story Mania at around 1 p.m. every day, but EOS is a well-oiled machine and it wonít take more than 10 or 15 minutes to get through.

Once you get through the line, you get to order one of these bad boys.

Letís list the reasons why a sandwich from EOS is so good: the bread is heavenly -- toasted perfectly, thereís always plenty of meat and the cheese, oh the cheese, thereís enough and itís melted just so.

Next time youíre shopping at Downtown Disney and youíve worked up quite an appetite, put EOS on top of your list.

13. Via Napoli

Weíre in the same boat with Via Napoli as we were with Boma, no pictures yet. We actually ate here as part of a special event for the Food and Wine Festival, so we got to taste many different things on the menu. The pizzas here are so delicious, itís hard to pick just one to order! The Arancini (fried rizzoto balls) we very moist and the Zeppole di Ricotta was served with a lemon sauce instead of chocolate, so I canít wait to go back and try it in its original form.

The best part of Via Napoli is it is easily one of the best value TS meals in Disney. The pizzas are easily shared, so are the salads and appetizers/desserts. So for folks like us who donít use a dining plan, the hit our wallets take isnít as bad as other restaurants.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #220
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a nice time at Epcot, and I agree, I love to travel by boat if I have the time. So relaxing!
I am on the Boma train right there with you. It is not just another Disney breakfast buffet!!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #221
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Sounds like a nice time at Epcot, and I agree, I love to travel by boat if I have the time. So relaxing!
I am on the Boma train right there with you. It is not just another Disney breakfast buffet!!

We've gotten much better (most of the time anyways) about not being in a terrible rush to get from one place to another on our Disney trips. So the boats have become a lovely option for us.

Glad to have another passenger on the Boma bandwagon!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #222
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

An Afternoon at DHS With Lots of Character

We last left off arriving for an afternoon of fun at DHS. Where were we headed? Only to my favorite attraction at DHS.

Animation Academy! This was Franklinís first time taking the drawing class, so I was excited to have him experience it.

We ended up drawing Donald Duck! Iíll give you the same trivia question the animator asked us: What is Donald Duckís middle name? No Googling!

So how did we do with the art? Iíll let you decide. Hereís mine:

And hereís Franklinís.

Not bad, right? It was a fun class, but Donald isnít an easy guy to draw!

The trip was before Wreck-It Ralph came out, but there was lots of stuff from the movie in the Animation Academy building.

Franklin was really bummed that you couldnít actually play the game.

All the headliners had pretty sizable waits as we came out of the drawing class, but according to my Lines app, Star Tours only had a 25-minute line, so we headed that way.

It wasnít exactly a full flight, I think we were the only ones in the last two rows!

It was a little bit of a bumpy ride, be we made it through.

After we exited, Franklin giddily hopped on this.

Seriously, how happy does he look?!?!?

We had to get moving because:

A) It looked like the sky was about to open up on our heads

and

B) We had somewhere to be.

Where was that? Characterpalooza of course! Havenít heard of Characterpalooza? Iím not surprised, Disney keeps this pretty well under wraps. Basically itís an unadvertised meet and greet at the Animation Academy building on days in which the first Fantasmic starts at 7p.m. or later. Itís a parade of hard-to-find characters. About five or six come out at a time for about 20 minutes and then they go away and the next batch comes out. It was simply some of the most character fun weíve ever had at Disney.

Who did we meet? Letís get to the rundown. Our first meet was with someone who is practically perfect in every way.

Next was one scary sorcerer. Jafar!

I canít even believe I remembered who the next character was, itís Pocahontasí sidekick, Meeko!

We didnít make it to Pinocchio's line before the first session ended. But one of the CMs said the Queen of Hearts would be among the next round of characters, so we got in line for her. And soon enough, her majesty was before us!

In keeping with the royalty theme, we met a queen of a different sort. The Evil Queen from ďSnow White.Ē

We then headed upstairs where we found quite the pair: Captain Hook and Mr. Smee.

We had time for one more meet, so we snuck into line for Chip and Dale. The girls in front of use gave Dale their autograph book, only the last pages were left. So Dale wrote ďSave the best for last.Ē Such a perfect Disney touch!

Grand total? Nine characters in 40 minutes, not bad for our first Characterpalooza. Thatís where weíll leave off for now, but have any of you ever been to Characterpalooza? Who is your favorite hard-to-find character that youíve met?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #223
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

12. Caseyís Corner

For those of you that followed along on our last TR, you might remember that we counted down to the October trip by making our list of our favorite things to eat at Disney. The clear winner on that list was Caseyís corndog nuggets.

The decor is the perfect decades-gone-by jewel for Main Street in Magic Kingdom.

But really, it always comes back to the corndog nuggets. We grab them for a snack during the parade, we grab them on the way out of the park or weíll add fries and drinks and make them lunch or dinner.

Basically, any time is a good time for Caseyís at MK!

Old 01-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #224
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

I agree that the boats are a gorgeous form of transportation at Disney, whether they are efficient or not lol Beautiful pictures of the resorts! They make me wish that I was there right now.

I cannot believe how empty your Star Tours vehicle was! I've never seen it like that.

The animation academy is one of my favourites. I've drawn Donald before, and I agree that he is a difficult one.

I also love your characterpalooza pictures! 9 characters in 40 minutes is awesome

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #225
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I've got some catching up to do!

First- football.

I'm sorry about the Redskins They are one of my sons favorite teams, so we were rooting for them! But we also like the Falcons and the Patriots are our team, of course, so all-in-all it was a good weekend. Except that we lost Gronk and possibly Woodhead.

Back to your restaurant countdown:

20- Flame Tree- I have been there twice, both times were not pleasant but it was more about the circumstances, not the food. I want to love the ribs. I really do.

19- Crystal Palace- been for lunch, good. Never been for breakfast but a pre-park opening visit is on my Disney bucket list.

18- Chefs- Haven't been

17- Cape May
One of our must dos. The breakfast is really good too- the character's beach attire is so cute!

16- Kona- Definitely my favorite breakfast place in the world, and the World. It is pretty high up for dinner too. Tonga Toast is good, but the Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes...

15- Boma- another great breakfast (only Ben and I have been), but probably my favorite dinner at Disney.

14- EoS- Someday

13- Via- Someday- especially after all of the fantastic reviews I have seen.

12- Caseys- I'll have to try those nuggets sometime.
BTW- What a spectacular picture of the outside of Casey's!!!

Mmmmmmm!!!

Last edited by natebenma; 01-14-2013 at 01:24 PM.
natebenma is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: