Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

Family of 6-my options

I was originally looking at a 5 night budget trip with myself, DH, DD8, DD6, DS3, DD 9 mos. The "budget trip" where we were all going to squeeze into POR is now turning into 6 nights at the Poly.

The cheapest option for a family of 5 plus an infant is POR. I'm not even worried about the sleeping arrangements, I'm more worried about the lack of space for all of our luggage and double stroller. Otherwise, the price is right, and the pool is fine.

So then I started looking into ASMu Suites. We would have more room, but then the kids wouldn't have a pool slide (we always stay at BC, but I don't think SAB will be feasible this trip, as we have an infant, plus it's just my husband and I...we aren't bringing a parent to help this time.) We also have never stayed value so I'm worried we will be disappointed.

Then I just happened to price out the Poly, and although that would take our "budget trip" to a whole other level, I now can't change my mind and want to stay here. We'd have plenty more space than at POR, we could take the monorail to Epcot and MK, as to not have to fold up a double stroller to get to all 4 parks, and we've been wanting to stay at the Poly for a while (but were going to wait until a big 2014 summer trip.) The pool would also be perfect for DH and I to be able to watch our older 2, while caring for our younger 2.

Will it really be that terrible in POR? Yeah, right? Will I be that disappointed in a value?

Will it even be hot enough to swim the second week of November, or should we stick with BC because it's a little cheaper than Poly?

I do not want to rent DVC points.

Lastly, we always have help on our trips from one of our mothers, and this time we will have 4 kids and no help...any insight?

Thanks!
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistGrl101 View Post
I was originally looking at a 5 night budget trip with myself, DH, DD8, DD6, DS3, DD 9 mos. The "budget trip" where we were all going to squeeze into POR is now turning into 6 nights at the Poly.

The cheapest option for a family of 5 plus an infant is POR. I'm not even worried about the sleeping arrangements, I'm more worried about the lack of space for all of our luggage and double stroller. Otherwise, the price is right, and the pool is fine.

So then I started looking into ASMu Suites. We would have more room, but then the kids wouldn't have a pool slide (we always stay at BC, but I don't think SAB will be feasible this trip, as we have an infant, plus it's just my husband and I...we aren't bringing a parent to help this time.) We also have never stayed value so I'm worried we will be disappointed.

Then I just happened to price out the Poly, and although that would take our "budget trip" to a whole other level, I now can't change my mind and want to stay here. We'd have plenty more space than at POR, we could take the monorail to Epcot and MK, as to not have to fold up a double stroller to get to all 4 parks, and we've been wanting to stay at the Poly for a while (but were going to wait until a big 2014 summer trip.) The pool would also be perfect for DH and I to be able to watch our older 2, while caring for our younger 2.

Will it really be that terrible in POR? Yeah, right? Will I be that disappointed in a value?

Will it even be hot enough to swim the second week of November, or should we stick with BC because it's a little cheaper than Poly?

I do not want to rent DVC points.

Lastly, we always have help on our trips from one of our mothers, and this time we will have 4 kids and no help...any insight?

Thanks!
It's all so subjective. Me personally - I'd be fine in a value. My kids like the themes, and we are never there enough to really care about the extras.

I think your kids would LOVE a family suite at Art of Animation. I think they're much more fun that the music suites. You'd have more room - I'd check them out.

I think the only ones that will be disappointed are the adults if you go value over deluxe. I'd just figure out what's more important to you - amenities, or space. If you plan on going back to the room midday for the little one the Poly would be a great option for that. It's just all comparing such different things.

I personally think you'll be fine at a family suite. I do think it would be so packed in POR that you'd regret it and be miserable with that many people and that much luggage. Five people, maybe. Six? No way.
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

I think since you have a baby and you won't be able to stay in a single deluxe room again once your baby is 3 I would try and do that while you can. Some people get twitches thinking about having 6 in one room but the Poly rooms are pretty big.

POR might be tight even if you technically fit. If it comes down to a choice between POR and a family suite I would probably choose family suite between those two. The amenities of the moderate with POR just would not make up for the lack of space (for us). Now when you go to the deluxe and you start talking about the upgraded facilities and the transportation options then things change.

If you do decide to book a deluxe I would book one now but be flexible and think about changing resorts if/when discounts come out for your dates.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

OK, so I guess I will rule out POR.

Now I am between Poly, BC, ASMu Suites, and AoA.

I did not mention that we are receiving a CM discount, which was why we decided to do a quick budget trip because the price was awesome.

We would still get a nice discount staying at the Poly, but now we are defeating the whole purpose of doing a budget trip.

However, if the extra money would mean we would be more comfortable in terms of: room, transportation, amentities, and dining choices it almost seems silly not to jump at the discount we will be receiving at the Poly.

I guess I almost feel bad, because when I first presented this trip to DH, it was at an unbelievably cheap price, that he would have been crazy to turn down. Now I'm turning it into more of a regular vacation, something we will actually have to start putting money away to save for...
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

AoA suites are wonderful, and the Big Blue pool is great even without a slide. I have stayed deluxe and in the past and my family loved our Cars suite. I think the extra space, kitchenette and 2nd bathroom is a nice perk. No matter where you stay, your kids will love it.
AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
carolinamama
Mouseketeer

Okay, so not budget, but since you mentioned Poly, what about OKW or Saratoga? My fam of 5 is staying at BLT (def not cheap) because we need space. The youngest is 14 mo, and he needs a quiet place to sleep at night when the 9 and 5 yr old are still up.

15 Trips to WDW since 1981 - Bay Lake Tower (2013), Port Orleans Riverside (2013), Contemporary (2009), Polynesian (2008), Wilderness Lodge (1995 and 2006), Caribbean Beach (1995 and other prior dates), Beach Club (1996), Disney Inn (1986), Disney Villas And now a Disneyland trip as well! Grand Californian (2010)
carolinamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

If price is not that big of a deal, I would stay at the Poly. Love the location so close to the Magic Kingdom. Love being on the monorail line, and love the pool/beach area.

I love the All Star Music Suites too, but they would be quite a shock to kids used to the Beach Club. The pool is very plain, especially compared to Storm Along Bay. And you would have to ride the bus everywhere, no easy access to a park or two.

I guess what it comes down to is which is more important? Do you need to stick to a strict budget, or do you have some wiggle room in order to keep everyone in the style to which they have become accustomed?
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

If you have a CM discount Id go for the Poly. You will never get it for less.

If it ends up being too small you could switch for your 2014 trip without missing your Poly chance all together.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
luvmyguyz
Mouseketeer

If you really want to keep it a "budget trip", I would pick AoA.

We stayed at AoA last November, and my kids loved the pool there. The splash area is right next to the pool, so even though there isn't a slide, there is plenty to keep the kids busy. If I remember correctly, even the playground was right in that central area. Our only main issue with AoA was that our room was so far away - but we stayed in 2 LM rooms because my mom stayed with us, and we didn't want to feel guilty about having a queen bed while she slept in a sofa bed or pulldown bed.

If you can afford the suite, I think you and the kids would be happy with the resort. We've never stayed at a deluxe, so I can't make a fair comparison, but it was a perfectly nice resort (despite the issues we had with mousekeeping, slow buses, and distance to our room.)

All that said, we personally are planning to stay at a deluxe next year because after 3 years of value resorts and relatively slow bus transportation, we are very interesting in being closer to the MK. We are leaning toward Poly because we're a family of 5.

luvmyguyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: