Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
Belle83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by binabodi View Post
Wow, thanks guys for all the info. I think that CB looks fun but I am really concerned about the distance for my 4yo.

I received my code in the mail. I thought it was from my Disney Visa but me and my DH both received on and only one of our names is on the card.

Does anyone know if there is a comparison for PORS vs. POFQ?
I think part of why I liked CBR so much is because I always had a great room location (in the Jamaica section, which you don't have to pay extra for). There are a lot of bus stops at CBR, regardless of where you stay within the resort.

Here are the main differences between POFQ and POR:
- POFQ is much smaller, overall
- There is a table service restaurant (Boatwright's) at POR, but not at POFQ
- If you are taking the boat to Downtown Disney from POR, it will stop at POFQ. If you take it from POFQ, you just go to Downtown Disney.
- There is only one bus stop at POFQ. At POR, I think there are 4.
- The main pool at POFQ is more themed than the one at POR, but both have a water slide.
- If you stay in the Alligator Bayou section at POR, your room will have a pull-down murphy bed for a 5th person
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #17
DisneyGriz
DisDads #727 Round the world in Epcot in 11 beers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by binabodi
Just got a free dining code and are thinking we will go 2/13 or 3/7. I can't decide which Mod to book? We haven't been in 5 years and have always stayed at a value before. 2 adults, DD11 and DS4. TIA for any advice. I feel new it's been so long.
Just curious, but what was your final call? I've been scrambling trying to get all of my TS meals booked so close to our arrival. Was lucky and got some decent character meals, but it's been slim pickings....

2013 2/13 POR
2012 DCL Fantasy, 2012 WDW Nick Hotel
2010 WDW Swan & Boardwalk
2009 WDW Boardwalk
2009 WDW ASSports
2008 WDW CSR
2007 WDW ASMusic
2006 WDW CSR
2005 WDW POR
2004 WDW Residence Inn
2003 WDL Residence Inn

1985 WDW Quality Inn
1981 WDW Contemporary
1978 WDW FWC
1977 WDW FWC
1975 WDW FWC
1974 WDW FWC
DisneyGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
UDFlyer12
Disney Princess

I've stayed a CBR and POR and like POR the best. We tried out the new royal rooms this past August and they were amazing! We also had a river/garden view and the area surrounding is beautiful. We have stayed at CBR multiple times and have enjoyed it as well, however, our first visit to POR gave us a new favorite. The rooms in CBR were on the smaller side and the old caribbean feel I got was from the fish wallpaper and bedding.... if i had to pick either I would say POR but both are great moderate options and you would be happy at either! good luck!

UDFlyer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #19
dislover8943
Mouseketeer

We have been to Caribbean beach 2 times and love it! we went last year with a 5yr old 2 yr old and 8 month old and didn't find it difficult at all to get around the resort. We will be sad when the baby turns 3 and we can no longer stay at CBR.
September 2013 CBR
Planning October 2014 birthday trip!!!
dislover8943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

CBR is the only resort that we've stayed at that we just didn't like. Too big, not a good food court. Definitely choose another mod.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
eastcarolinafan
When I put on my Mickey ears I can hear Small World.

I am going to give you some really good advice, I promise. Whether you take it is up to you, but I have lived your particular predicament myself.

Go to POR, but it is crucial to your enjoyment to stay in the proper buildings. It is true, you can end up quite a ways away from pretty much everything if you don't book wisely, grasshopper. But if you follow my directions, you will be one happy, happy camper, I promise.So, what you want to do is stay in Alligator Bayou. If you can, stay in room 1458 because that's where we were and we were beyond thrilled with that resort. I suppose, though, it doesn't really matter what room you stay in, so long as you are in that building, or one nearby.

AB is central to POR. You are only five minutes from the main building (where you can get your WDW mugs refilled for free) and another five from two bus stops, one in front of the building and one to the side. And it is amazingly quiet for being so conveniently located. We have stayed at CB and CS as well, and POR is the best for convenience's sake.

Now, your issue is that you can't decide between POR and CB, but that is a decision you have to live with. Luckily, it's Disney World, so really, it's all good no matter where you stay. I can tell you that at CB the bus stops seemed relentless. Welcome to Martinique! Welcome to Trinidad South! Welcome to Trinidad North! Welcome to Barbados! Welcome to Aruba! Welcome to ... you get the idea. Also, while the grounds were lovely, the pool seemed pedestrian, at the risk of sounding snobbish. The staff was wonderful and friendly and the resort as pretty as a picture. It is a beautiful place at which you will no doubt be happy, but you asked for opinions and this is mine.

I did find I actually wanted to spend time at my resort when we stayed at POR, as opposed to staying at the parks 24/7, which we have done in the past. I like the pool there and the hot tub, for that matter. But, like I said, at POR, please remember that room location is CRITICAL to your enjoyment. I am not kidding when I say that.

So, what I am saying is that I think you should stay at POR, but stay in Alligator Bayou. Buuuuuuttt.... if you stay at CB, you will be happy, too, you will just spend a bit more time on the bus.

2008, Carribbean Beach Resort (my first trip to WDW!; 2009, Port Orleans Riverside; 2012, Coranado Springs; and in 2014, Sophie's Polynesian extavaganza

Last edited by eastcarolinafan; 01-13-2013 at 10:25 PM.
eastcarolinafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #22
Linda T.
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both, and CBR is by far our favorite! We love the tropical island feel and the beautiful white sandy beaches. We also stay in Jamaica which is close to a bus stop. The main pool is fantastic and each village has a quiet pool. The food court has alot of choices and the gift shop is really nice. Everyone says CBR is huge but the size has never bothered us. It just seems like there are not as many people at the resort. Have a great trip!
May, 1979 - Offsite; June, 1995 - CBR; June, 1997 - CBR; June, 1999 - POR; July, 2001 - CBR; April, 2005 - Disneyland; July, 2005 - CBR; July, 2007 - CBR; July, 2010 - CBR; July 2011 - CBR; July, 2013 - CBR; Next Trip - Christmas, 2014 - BCV

Linda T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #23
runswithscissors
Terrified of Tower of Terror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binabodi
Thanks for the info. Size of resort/walking might factor in since we have a 4 year old. The double bed/queen isn't really a problem though.
POFQ is one of our favs! We have stayed at almost all of the resorts from value-to-deluxe and POFQ is our go-to when staying in a Mod. We love it for it's small size and fun theme. Our son loves the pool. The ability to walk to POR is a plus. We've never had an issue with the buses at this resort.

Both POR and CBR are large resorts and, although we like the theming at both, they're just too large for our taste.

Enjoy your trip!
runswithscissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
Dallas_Lady
I only work for the vacation money

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I's pick either POR resort over Caribbean Beach. Caribbean Beach is too large and has so many bus stops that it seems like forever before you even leave the resort.
That was my complaint about CBR. I like the new pool area there, though.
Dallas_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: