Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

Key west

Our ship will only be in key west for 5 hours in the morning! We've never been there before. So, is there a quick excursion or a cab ride to somewhere you would recommend?

Thank you
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
poohandtigger92
"never enough disney time...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetotraveltx
Our ship will only be in key west for 5 hours in the morning! We've never been there before. So, is there a quick excursion or a cab ride to somewhere you would recommend?

Thank you
We liked hemmingway's home (girls loved the six toed cats) and the sunset pier shows. Outside of that, spend some time on the ship (everyone else will be getting off). Rental of golf cart was not that much fun and it was stressful with the traffic.
poohandtigger92 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Mom24Princesses
DIS Veteran

We did the Oldtown Trolley and got off near the southern most point marker, walked to the light house then caught another trolley. I'd do it again. Each driver gives you a different spin on the island pointing out different things. We ended with a key-lime snack near the dock area.
ASMu--July 96; ASMu--Aug 98; PORS--June 01; ASMu--July 03; POP--Feb 04; CSR--June 04; ASMo--June 07; AoA--June 13
DCL

1st DCL Eastern MAGIC APRIL 1-8, 2006

THEN!!
2nd DCL Western MAGIC April 5-12, 2008
Mom24Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
dallastxcpa
DIS Veteran

With that short amount of time I would suggest taking the trolley. There is one that you can get on and off. Go to the southern most point, then walk to Rick's Blue Heaven and have lunch/brunch depending on what day you are there. Then proceed down Duvall street.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

I would suggest either the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum or Truman's Little White House. Both are fabulous! (And both within walking distance of the pier.)

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

Thank you!

Two things: how/where do you catch the trolley and how do you pay.

Also, if we choose hemingway's is there a shopping street around there?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

If you do the trolley on your own, it is a "hop on, hop off" deal. If you do it thru Disney, it is a single loop around town. Note--do it on your own. You walk to the end of the pier area and there is a little booth selling the trolley tickets. you can pay with a credit card or cash. You can take it to the Hemmingway house and then hop on again for the ride back.

Honestly, if I had only a few hours, I'd start with this. There are lots of places to see within easy walking distance of the pier. Shopping is on several streets right by the pier.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
Cnolte
Earning My Ears

Kids ride free if you o it on you own better deal!
Cnolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #9
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnolte View Post
Kids ride free if you o it on you own better deal!
In November we went to WDW and then drove down to Key West for a couple of days. We did City View Trolley Tours while we were there. On that one kids are free so it only cost around $40 for me and my husband. You can get on and off as much as you want. I would do that considering you don't have a lot of time. The tour will show you all the must see things in Key West and will tell you some history about the island.

Two things I would recommend and the trolley will talk you to them...Hemingway House and Southernmost Point. You can also do shopping on Duval Street. It is within walking distance from the pier.

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
QuiltTeddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom24Princesses View Post
We did the Oldtown Trolley and got off near the southern most point marker, walked to the light house then caught another trolley. I'd do it again. Each driver gives you a different spin on the island pointing out different things. We ended with a key-lime snack near the dock area.

Loved it.

WDW Honeymoon - 1981
WDW - 1999 & Joined DVC
BWV - December, 2000 & December, 2005
WDW/Magic - Eastern - 2002
WDW/Magic - Western - 2003
25th Anniv. Cruise to Alaska on HAL- 2006
30th Anniv. Cruise to MR- Wonder - 04-03-11
Dream Cruise 03-22-12
Magic Southern Carribean 09-20-14
QuiltTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastxcpa View Post
With that short amount of time I would suggest taking the trolley. There is one that you can get on and off. Go to the southern most point, then walk to Rick's Blue Heaven and have lunch/brunch depending on what day you are there. Then proceed down Duvall street.
Blue Heaven has the best Key Lime pie... So good.

Also, close to the Southern most point area is a delicious little walk up window place called Ana's. They have cafe con leche coffee that is the best and a pork sandwich that is delicious. Its located right across the street from The Southern most Hotel on the beach. They also sell whole coconuts with the fresh coconut water for $4 bucks. I am so looking foward to being there in a couple weeks.

Have a great time.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
grimgrningghost
DIS Veteran

Are you guys talking about the old town trolley tours? The only rate I see on their web site is 27.41 per adult. Is that the hop on, hop off pass you are talking about?
grimgrningghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgrningghost View Post
Are you guys talking about the old town trolley tours? The only rate I see on their web site is 27.41 per adult. Is that the hop on, hop off pass you are talking about?
Thats the one I'm going to buy online before we go so I already have my tickets. I'm pretty sure that's the hop on/hop off online price. You can stay on for a 1.5 hours tour of key west and/or get off and back on.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

There is a glazed donut shop by the southern most point that was number 1 in USA Today!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
grimgrningghost
DIS Veteran

so if we just want to go to one location it will probably be less expensive to get a cab right? We are thinking of just going to the butterfly house and southernmost point then back to the ship and I am trying to figure out the cheapest method of transportation.
grimgrningghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: