Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #2566
Cinderumbrella
Wench

We ordered a case of water from Walmart.com in August and shipped it to POP. At that time it was $3.48 per case and $.97 to ship ($.97 per item). It was SO worth it!!

Question regarding bell services at POR: can I call from my room and ask someone to drop that off in my room after check in or do I need to lug it back myself? Its been so long since I stayed here that I don't remember if they offer traditional bell services.

TIA!!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 01-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #2567
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Solo View Post
I've done both Walmart and Hess.

Walmart was cheaper and the delivery fee is free if you make a minimum order not sure if it was $50 or $75. We ordered water, granola bars, pop tarts, sun block and some MioEnergy drinks that we can't get in Canada and I wanted to bring back with me. I would suggest ordering 7-8 days before your check in day.

With Hess we planed to go to DTD anyways on our first day so we took the boat had lunch/supper, shopped and explored. Before heading back to POR we walked to the Hess station bought a case of water, some fruit, chips, milk and Twinkie's (it was the first time my DD15 ever had a Twinkie and probably her last). To carry everything back to POR I brought a few cloth grocery bags and just kept them in my backpack while at DTD. The walk from the Hess station to the bus stop is not long at all. Then you just take the bus back to POR.

It was just the two of us and one case of water (24) for the room for only a week was more the enough for us. We brought refillable stainless steel bottles with us to the park and each morning I would fill them with ice and bottled water then just refill them at the parks with ice and water when we stopped to eat or get a snack.

I actually enjoyed going to Hess and looking around but if you have small children then I would go with Walmart or Garden Grocer.
Thank you to you, and to the others, for the options! We really just need the water, so I'm not sure which way we will do it. $16 for a case seems outrageous though!!

Planning a 2014 trip to celebrate our son's 10th!
February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #2568
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
We ordered a case of water from Walmart.com in August and shipped it to POP. At that time it was $3.48 per case and $.97 to ship ($.97 per item). It was SO worth it!!

Question regarding bell services at POR: can I call from my room and ask someone to drop that off in my room after check in or do I need to lug it back myself? Its been so long since I stayed here that I don't remember if they offer traditional bell services.

TIA!!
Walmart sounds like the easiest and cheapest. Do they deliver it to the front desk and we pick it up there?

February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #2569
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Solo View Post
I've done both Walmart and Hess.
Wow......... Stan!!!!! Long time my friend. Wow I actually missed you on her my friend!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #2570
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryterese View Post
Walmart sounds like the easiest and cheapest. Do they deliver it to the front desk and we pick it up there?
Hopefully the POR regulars cans answer procedure for this resort.

However, at POP it was a bit of an issue. Normally when a case of water is delivered to POP, it goes to the luggage room. For whatever reason, Walmart actually put my case of water in a big brown box, so it went to the POP mail room, like a parcel would. When I checked in, they knew I had a package since the desk clerk offered to get it for me. I declined since our room was not yet ready, and I knew what it was. Once our room was ready, NO ONE could find it. They were looking in the luggage room with the other wrapped cases of water. Eventually it was found, but I had to lug it back to my room myself. (No easy feat seeing it was in a HUGE box).
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~

Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #2571
Stan Solo
I don't know what to put here. Tag fairies can you help me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella

TIA!!
I luged it back myself if they had traditional bell services they did not offer it to me and it was not a light package. The guy from the front desk that brought it to me could hardly lift it and was worn out when he arrived. I have to hand it to the little guy made it thought. I have no idea how far he had to walk with it but it took him forever. I will bring an empty suitcase on wheeles next time.

Uh...had a slight weapons malfunction. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here...now...thank you. How are you? *wince*
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #2572
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
No packages go to the front desk.

All packages go to Guest Services. They are located to the right hand side of the entrance. You will see Guest Services CM's located at that area.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #2573
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
Hopefully the POR regulars cans answer procedure for this resort.

However, at POP it was a bit of an issue. Normally when a case of water is delivered to POP, it goes to the luggage room. For whatever reason, Walmart actually put my case of water in a big brown box, so it went to the POP mail room, like a parcel would. When I checked in, they knew I had a package since the desk clerk offered to get it for me. I declined since our room was not yet ready, and I knew what it was. Once our room was ready, NO ONE could find it. They were looking in the luggage room with the other wrapped cases of water. Eventually it was found, but I had to lug it back to my room myself. (No easy feat seeing it was in a HUGE box).
Moderates and deluxes have guest services who handle packages; values do not. If you have it delivered to the room, it is standard to tip the CM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #2574
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
No packages go to the front desk.

All packages go to Guest Services. They are located to the right hand side of the entrance. You will see Guest Services CM's located at that area.
Thank you. Just to be clear, I ask Walmart to deliver to Guest Services at POR and then we can pick it up there anytime that day? I'm not going to order anything for delivery if we have to be present to accept it. We need to get to Epcot ASAP, lol!! Do we tip Guest Services when we pick it up from them?

And another tipping question. We will be putting the Magical Express tags on our 5 checked bags. Who do we tip for these - Magical Express or the person who brings them to our room or both? I'm confused about how the tagged baggage works. I'm thinking we don't pick it up from baggage claim but Magical Express does and delivers it to the room sometime that day and we may or may not be there?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #2575
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Moderates and deluxes have guest services who handle packages; values do not. If you have it delivered to the room, it is standard to tip the CM.
Fantastic! Thank you!!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #2576
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

PMs replied to.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #2577
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Thank you. Just to be clear, I ask Walmart to deliver to Guest Services at POR and then we can pick it up there anytime that day? I'm not going to order anything for delivery if we have to be present to accept it. We need to get to Epcot ASAP, lol!! Do we tip Guest Services when we pick it up from them?

And another tipping question. We will be putting the Magical Express tags on our 5 checked bags. Who do we tip for these - Magical Express or the person who brings them to our room or both? I'm confused about how the tagged baggage works. I'm thinking we don't pick it up from baggage claim but Magical Express does and delivers it to the room sometime that day and we may or may not be there?
You will never see the ME delivery people to tip them. However, if the ME bus driver stores bags under the bus for you (carry ons, stroller etc) it is customary to tip him/her.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #2578
Stan Solo
I don't know what to put here. Tag fairies can you help me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryterese

You don't have to be present to receive your parcel just be sure to have your reservation number on the address. I would order 7 days before you arrive.

We've only gone twice but both times we were out of the room having fun when the bags were placed in our room and never saw who brought our bags. It was just magic!

Uh...had a slight weapons malfunction. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here...now...thank you. How are you? *wince*
Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #2579
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Postal and package deliveries (including groceries) all go to the incoming mail storage room at the resort, which in POR's case is actually behind the front-desk area (but also accessible from Bell Services, as the backstage offices are located between the check-in lobby and the bell services area).

Deliveries are normally kept in the mail room until someone comes to collect them, except when something is marked as needing refrigeration in which case that will be handled accordingly. When you collect, they'll bring your package out to the front desk for you - but if it's very big/heavy then you could ask them if they can get Bell Services to deliver it to your room (you'd need to be there in the room, and you should tip the CM who brings it).

I was talking to the mailroom supervisor last year, and she asked me to pass a message on that it makes their life much easier if people limit such deliveries to one case of bottles per shipping box. Walmart had been starting to send two cases of bottles in one outer box, and that was becoming difficult to handle. No problems with however much you want to order, but just ask the shippers to limit how much goes into each outer package.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #2580
disneytraceyl
Loving All Things Disney

We are staying here for this trip. I am very nervous. We have really not stayed at this hotel before.

2015 7-Night Western Caribbean Disney Cruise on the reimaged Magic
2013 Stayed with Mom & Dad but still enjoyed Walt Disney World; 2013 Disney Cruise on the Dream/Carribean Beach; 2012 Caribbean Beach; B2B 2011 Disney Cruise on the Dream; 2010 Shades of Green; 2009 Coronado Springs2008 Pop Century Halloween; Caribbean Beach, 7-Night Western Caribbean Disney Cruise and Polynesian; 2007 Shades of Green; 2006 All-Star Movies; 2005 Shades of Green; 2004 Caribbean Beach & Disney Cruise; 2003 Grand Floridian & Disney Cruise; 2003 Shades of Green; 2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disney Cruise; 2001 All-Star Music; 2000 All-Star Movies; Disney Cruise; 1999 Dixie Landings; 1998 Wilderness Lodge
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: