Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

Any experience with the Sea Cadet program?

Does anyone have experience with the Naval Sea Cadet programs NSCC and NLCC? I am looking for experiences of those who have children currently in it or people that were involved in the Sea Cadets. My son is considering joining.
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 40 of 40 completed! WOOHOO!
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
L & B Mom
Earning My Ears

I was a sea cadet in high school so many years ago. I did enjoy it. I also was a CAP cadet at the time.

What I liked about the sea cadet program was the interaction between the cadets and military personnel. The cadet are assigned to different offices and work with the military personnel in those offices. I was assigned to the airplane maintenance shop and got to "help out" with the odd maintenance tasks when the planes not flying.

I also spent time the supply office and helped process the supply request for the base.

Several of my fellow cadets were assigned to the flight line and helped park the jets as they arrived.

I would suggest finding out what jobs are available for cadets to help with and if any interest your son. When I was a sea cadet we only met once a month.

If your son is looking for more interaction with his peers I would suggest the Civil Air Patrol as the cadets are in charge of the planning and execution of the cadet activities with the adults only supervising. The CAP usually meets every week and plans other activities on weekends.

I recommend both to anyone interested in the military.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

Thank you for sharing your experience. He did mention the other day possibly showing more interest in the Civil Air Patrol. So I guess I will check into it as well. If we lived closer to a Naval Base -- we would jump all over the Sea cadet program but since we live several hours away from an actual base, I would think the local chapter would be pretty limited in activities.
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 40 of 40 completed! WOOHOO!
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: