Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #76
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
You don't? There's TONS of merchandise sales going on at WWOHP!! Ollivanders is basically a glorified sales pitch and it usually has an hour or longer wait.
~Exactly, the "tons" of merchandise sales cater to a captive audience and are specific to WWoHP. Ollivanders is the only place out of the entire Universal resort that sells the wands and other HP stuff -- not to mention, it's unrealistically small (to stay in line with the story) -- so of course, there would be an hour long wait.

~The same can be said for Disney, just imagine if mouse ears were sold in one tiny store out of the whole complex, you would witness the same "frenzy." My point is the crazy demand for Harry Potter items inside the parks does not reflect the demand for Harry Potter merchandise outside of the parks. Harry Potter is iconic but it's not all that relevant today -- there are no new books or movies in the works. HP has a strong fan base, that can carry Universal. Disney has a stronger fan base and can and will successfully carry Avatar.

~Anyway, it really doesn't have to be "one" or the "other." I'm not an Avatar or Harry Potter "fan." I'm a theme park fan and I intend to enjoy both. I feel confident in saying, I represent the "majority" outside of the DIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznefreek View Post
Revenue does not equal quality.
I am a SW fan but did not particularly care for them either.
~I don't understand this statement. It sounds like you're saying, Avatarland can not be successful because you don't care for the movie. I don't care for the movie either, but I know Avatarland has enormous potential to be every bit of fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
But I feel Harry Potter has a much bigger following. Avatar doesn't have that kind of Cult . I can see Harry Potter convention 10 years from now
~This statement is way way off. What would a convention, ten years from now, have to do with the success of Avatarland?!? "Harry Potters fan base" is too weak of an argument to demonstrate why Avatar not be a successful addition to Animal Kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
avatar is just starting not really fair to compare to a franchise thats been around for 11 years...but i see your point...i just look at avatar as having a great appeal to a themed land

nothing to do with its story
***sigh*** Besides, sounding like a broken record, I totally agree with you! Harry Potter is done, there are no more books and no more movies in the pipeline & popularity of the franchise on the current market has significantly waned & will continue to diminish as time goes on.

~Universal is the only thing that keeps Harry Potter relevant or some would say, Harry Potter keeps Universal relevant, maybe it's a little of both. My point is -- none of this matters. Avatarland has the potential to be a huge success for Disney. We'll just have to wait & see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
Exactly! IMHO. Disney is using there creative fake world of Pandora that would fit great in that park. When built Cameron will have basically free market ing for his next avatar movies. 20 years from now the land could be without the blue beings and just be. Pandora
~Pandora will be fabulous! There is so much Disney can use to create an amazing theme park experience. I am very excited to see what Cameron and Disney's Imagineers come up with!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #77
StillWorldlyWise
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
Dinoland is one of the most detailed and themed lands in any park
but the theme is carnival midway
StillWorldlyWise is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #78
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Exactly, the "tons" of merchandise sales cater to a captive audience and are specific to WWoHP. Ollivanders is the only place out of the entire Universal resort that sells the wands and other HP stuff -- not to mention, it's unrealistically small (to stay in line with the story) -- so of course, there would be an hour long wait.

~The same can be said for Disney, just imagine if mouse ears were sold in one tiny store out of the whole complex, you would witness the same "frenzy." My point is the crazy demand for Harry Potter items inside the parks does not reflect the demand for Harry Potter merchandise outside of the parks. Harry Potter is iconic but it's not all that relevant today -- there are no new books or movies in the works. HP has a strong fan base, that can carry Universal. Disney has a stronger fan base and can and will successfully carry Avatar.

~Anyway, it really doesn't have to be "one" or the "other." I'm not an Avatar or Harry Potter "fan." I'm a theme park fan and I intend to enjoy both. I feel confident in saying, I represent the "majority" outside of the DIS.

~I don't understand this statement. It sounds like you're saying, Avatarland can not be successful because you don't care for the movie. I don't care for the movie either, but I know Avatarland has enormous potential to be every bit of fabulous!

~This statement is way way off. What would a convention, ten years from now, have to do with the success of Avatarland?!? "Harry Potters fan base" is too weak of an argument to demonstrate why Avatar not be a successful addition to Animal Kingdom.

***sigh*** Besides, sounding like a broken record, I totally agree with you! Harry Potter is done, there are no more books and no more movies in the pipeline & popularity of the franchise on the current market has significantly waned & will continue to diminish as time goes on.

~Universal is the only thing that keeps Harry Potter relevant or some would say, Harry Potter keeps Universal relevant, maybe it's a little of both. My point is -- none of this matters. Avatarland has the potential to be a huge success for Disney. We'll just have to wait & see.

~Pandora will be fabulous! There is so much Disney can use to create an amazing theme park experience. I am very excited to see what Cameron and Disney's Imagineers come up with!
yep im at a point where i would really like to start a new thread to discuss avatar/pandora and not discuss why people dont like it
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #79
crazydaisy00
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you underastand?

I think Disney couold do some amazing things with Avatarland / Pandora. Im not a Star Wars fan but I do like Avatar and Harry Potter. I have not been to Universal to see TWWOHP I also have not spent any time on star wars at DHS and we spend a fair amount of time at the park. However I would def spend time checking out Avatarland / Pandora and would be excited to see this! From my experience with friends visiting Disney some have gone to see TWWOHP and only spend 1-2 days at Universal just for the fact its there.... then spend 5-6 days at WDW parks, btw none are huge Star Wars fans. I think they would also like to see Disney do something with Avatar. So many people enjoy different movies and Avatar is a well liked movie but just not a huge fan base but could this change if Disney had a successful Avatarland? I think it could.
Any idea on when this is supposed to happen?

Last edited by crazydaisy00; 01-13-2013 at 11:21 PM.
crazydaisy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #80
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Unhappy ~Awww...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
yep im at a point where i would really like to start a new thread to discuss avatar/pandora and not discuss why people dont like it
~LOL. Well, this thread is supposed to be the "Avatarland will be amazing" thread!!! So, I'm pretty sure that was the intent. We'll just have to do our best to stay on track. If you don't give up, I won't give up!!!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #81
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
[B]~Exactly, the "tons" of merchandise sales cater to a captive audience and are specific to WWoHP. Ollivanders is the only place out of the entire Universal resort that sells the wands and other HP stuff -- not to mention, it's unrealistically small (to stay in line with the story) -- so of course, there would be an hour long wait.
That isn't correct, they sell wands at other locations in IOA including the large store at the front of the park. There's 3 other locations in WWOHP they sell merchandise, and also have wand sales outside of Forbidden Journey

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #82
johnnycake
Earning My Ears

From what I am hearing we will see concept art within this next year, anyone else hear that
johnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #83
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycake
From what I am hearing we will see concept art within this next year, anyone else hear that
Nothing but rumor but it makes sense. This has been in development for over a year. I can't imagine it would be another year without something. But it might not be til the Expo in the fall

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #84
DRDISNEYMD

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
That isn't correct, they sell wands at other locations in IOA including the large store at the front of the park. There's 3 other locations in WWOHP they sell merchandise, and also have wand sales outside of Forbidden Journey
~I just found out that Ollivanders puts on a magical demonstration with amazing special effects known as the "wand experience" -- where the wand chooses its owner & it looks awesome!

~Anyway, this is more like an attraction than a regular place that just sells the wands. I've never been to Universal but that is so creative.

~I saw pictures of the line & can see it's wise to arrive at Ollivanders early or maybe at the end of the day! It's nice to know that you can get the wands at other locations, but I would definitely want to get one from there, just for the experience!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #85
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

I think, Disney missed out on Narnia. Many possibilities, fits with the animals and has the probability of several more movies. It couldve been beautiful.

I have zero intreste in Avatarland.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #86
ford91exploder
Mouseketeer

You do mean mindblowingly bad do you not???, As in the first incarnation of California Adventure where the Mission Tortilla factory was the most interesting (and Exciting) attraction there.

I do not understand why Disney wants anything to do with the "Blue Cat People movie" unless its a highly developed sense of irony. I can summarize the movie in one sentence.

"Non-White primitive people good, U.S. Military and Corporate types unredeemably evil, the end"

While the SFX were indeed marvelous the subtext of the movie made me walk out in disgust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
I know the future Avatar land is not popular amongst Disney fans. I think once its open it will be mind blowing.

WDW 07/05, WDW 06/06, DLR 07/07 SSR 08/08 SSR 05/09 AKL 07/09 SSR 12/09 Next BLT 05/10 AKL 12/10
Team Focker Watch
ford91exploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #87
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

Lightbulb

It looks like a good fit to me. http://youtu.be/GBGDmin_38E You may want to start at point 2:58 to save some viewing time!

Who wouldn't want to see Disney do something like this? http://youtu.be/q-NOmpp02Zs Talk about an amazing Jungle cruise style ride.

Last edited by Friendly Frog; 01-17-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #88
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

I can't believe I have read so many conspiracy theories regarding Avatar in this and other threads. Really, do you folks not watch a George Clooney movie on principal as well? (rhetorical).

TLSnell, I am really surprised by your statement. Will you really be disppointed if Disney gives us a mindblowing depiction of Pandora with a couple of great, cutting edge rides that wiould make Universal jealous?

I know that is asking a lot from Disney, considering how much effort was put into FLE but still until it is done I have hope? As I said previously (in different words) I think Disney could give us a great land based on nearly anything if they really try. Thoughts?
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #89
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford91exploder View Post
I can summarize the movie in one sentence.

"Non-White primitive people good, U.S. Military and Corporate types unredeemably evil, the end"

While the SFX were indeed marvelous the subtext of the movie made me walk out in disgust.
Yeah, how dare a movie portray a position on an issue that isn't absolutely 100% neutral

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #90
johnnycake
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2
I can't believe I have read so many conspiracy theories regarding Avatar in this and other threads. Really, do you folks not watch a George Clooney movie on principal as well? (rhetorical).

TLSnell, I am really surprised by your statement. Will you really be disppointed if Disney gives us a mindblowing depiction of Pandora with a couple of great, cutting edge rides that wiould make Universal jealous?

I know that is asking a lot from Disney, considering how much effort was put into FLE but still until it is done I have hope? As I said previously (in different words) I think Disney could give us a great land based on nearly anything if they really try. Thoughts?
This is the thing a couple of cutting edge showing everyone we did it
johnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: