Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #16
Escape2Disney
Friendly Neighborhood Disney Fanatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
That is pretty funny about the security guards coming to save the day!!! I guess "business" was slow that day, so it gave them a little adrenalin rush they crave......lol

I know! They were so amped up, coming to rescue me! I still giggle when I think about it.

I love seeing Oscar!!! We chat every visit and of course get a picture together!! He's a very sweet man. He just got back from a 30 day break. His wife has cancer, so he was spending time with her. Sad......but unfortunately just a part of many people's lives.

He's such a sweet man - I'm sorry to hear he's going through this.

Did you enjoy the Holiday Tour?? I found it to be fun and a great way to get on the 2 holiday rides plus get an amazing seat for the parade. Can you take a picture of this year's pin you got?

We really enjoyed the tour. We've never done a tour before, so it was all new to us. Our tour guide was fantastic, and you can't really beat those seats or the gingerbread! I'll post the pin below.

It was fun meeting up with you.....just wish we could have done it at an earlier time.......I think we both were a little tired. Hopefully this summer we can take a trip down your way so we can spend a little more time together!!

I was thinking the same thing! I felt bad for being so tired! Please do let me know if you head this way - we'd love to see you!
Here's a picture of the pin on a the cute little card it came on:

Here's a close-up:

DD loves that the pin moves. The background can rotate.
Escape2Disney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

That's interesting that the pin came on a card.....the pin we got last year came in a little plastic baggie. I thought someone had told me that the tour pin always included the Toy Soldiers, but I must have misheard....or they didn't know what they were talking about. This is the pin I got last December. It's really cool with the dangling legs (which I didn't realize until I got home and open the baggie)

Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
Escape2Disney

That's a cute pin! I like toy soldiers. I have to admit I like this year's pin and presentation too. Maybe they're trying to "class up" the special event pins.

I'm having fun following your report! It's interesting to see how our trips were similar and different.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
Escape2Disney

Day Seven: Rides, Illness, and Compromise

The Plan:
The only thing scheduled was a 5:30 dinner reservation at WCT.

What Happened:

Sorry, no pictures on this day. With the drizzly weather, we left the camera in the room.

We didn't set the alarm since we were all so tired. Instead of hitting the road running, we lounged in bed and woke up naturally woke a little before 9AM. I was still really swollen, but determined to get on some rides! DD helped by running down to Jamba Juice to get food for all of us. Once again I couldn't finish the breakfast, but I gave it the old college try. After all of us had eaten all we wanted and each had our showers, we headed to DCA by a little after 10.

We went directly to the Animation Academy. Both Turtle Talk and the Drawing classes were closed until noon. We considered waiting around, but thought mom might enjoy Aladdin. We headed into Off the Page for DD to order a sketch. She's been getting one per trip for years! Disney was a major motivator for her she hopes to work for Disney or Pixar as an artist/animator some day. Once the print was ordered (Esmerelda), we headed over to the Hyperion Theater. The nice CM at the front said it would be quite a while before we would be able to go in and get a seat. Nobody other than the three of us joined us in line, so I sent mom and DD off to ride Monsters Inc.

Well, as is sometimes the case, the CM was mistaken. No sooner had they walked away, they started letting us into what I call the corral. Instead of having mom and DD work their way through the crowd, I held back until they arrived. I kept trying to call, with no luck for almost ten minutes. Right when I was about to give up, I saw them running toward the theater. Well, DD was running. I could hear my mom call out I don't run! Since the weather was turning, there weren't many people there, so it all worked out. We were in the third row near the isle. It was a wonderful show, and I'm glad they made it in time. The Genie made the show as usual, but I still miss the flying carpet scene.

After we watched the show, we headed over to TSMM. Mom and I rode alone while DD hit Screamin' twice through the single rider line. I'm so proud of her! This was the first year she felt comfortable venturing off on her own, and the first time she seemed to really like the thrill rides. She's come a long way! We've always used Disneyland to help her work through the issues she has from being on the Autism spectrum. She's learned to deal with crowds, talk to strangers (mostly CMs), calm herself through panic attacks, and ride things like Screamin'. Disneyland feels like a second home to her a home with hordes of guests. In 2010 her challenge for the trip was to ride Screamin'. I was past the point of being able to ride with her, but thankfully a couple of kids from the homeschool conference we were attending were good sports and went with her. She came off saying I did it I won't do it again. Now I can't keep her off the thing!

We met up again after our rides, and DD didn't look too good. She said the rides were fun, but she was really pale and sweating. She didn't want to go back to the room, so we decided to get her some food to see if she felt any better. We ate lunch at Paradise Grill. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of food. We all enjoyed our meals. DD had the vegetarian dish, and mom and I had chicken. I can't remember the sauces that were chosen.

She looked a little better after some food, but not well enough to keep going. She decided to go back to the room to rest a bit with the hopes of catching up with us later. I felt weird staying in the park, but she wanted the room to herself to get some solid sleep.

Mom and I continued on. We did some shopping before finally getting to my favorite ride PIRATES! It was my first tour through the bayou on this trip, which was surprising. I usually start there! We headed to HMH next to visit Jack and the gang. We also found our way to Storybook. I just love all of the miniature neighborhoods. It was hard to get into the boat, but it was worth the effort. I especially liked the mini-Christmas decorations! We did a little more shopping (a common theme on this trip). We went back to the room to see if DD wanted to join us for dinner. She said she wanted to give it a try, so we all headed out.

Now here was another theme I kept forgetting to mention. I couldn't get warm after 4PM any day of the trip. I'm happy I brought toe warmers, but they only did so much. By this day, DD and I were both shivvering - her because of a fever, and me because of an unfortunate side-effect of this crazy autoimmune disease. Regardless, we soldiered on! Some warm food and indoor seating was just what the doctor ordered!

DD and I split a meal once again, and mom chose a salad. We were all full, and I started to feel better. Poor DD, on the other hand, really started to feel bad. Her fever got higher, she lost her voice, and had a very sore throat. She ate very little, so we decided to call it a night and head back to the room. She took some tylenol before falling into a fitful sleep. Mom and I packed so we'd be ready to check out by 11 the next day.

Stay tuned....Did DD feel better to enjoy the few hours we had the next day? Did we finish the packing?
Old 12-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #20
Escape2Disney

Before I move on to day 8, I forgot to mention that we did, in fact, get back to the Animation Academy on the 7th day. We did everything – drawing, Turtle Talk, and the Workshop. We all had a great time! DD and Mom also rode Silly Swings while I watched Goofy's “Just Add Water” show in the lagoon.

Day 8: The End of the Road

The Plan:
Get up early, and check luggage with Bell Services. Make it to Early Entry at Disneyland and stay in the parks until 4PM. Get back to the hotel to catch DLE back to the airport, then home.

What Happened:
We decided not to go to early entry, and instead woke to the alarm at 7AM. Mom and I were ready to go, but DD was still asleep and very hard to wake. I reached down and felt her forehead – it was really hot. Poor thing had a nasty fever! She had very few opportunities for rides, and it didn't look like she would have a chance on our last day. An added difficulty was we had to check out by eleven! Since our shuttle didn't arrive until 5, that left 6 hours of having to be out in the elements. What to do, what to do??

The only thing I could think of was first aid. Instead of subjecting her to the drizzly day, she could lay down in a warm room. We all agreed that while not an optimum choice, it was better than getting others around her sick or her getting any worse. We each had showers and got dressed. By the time DD got out of the shower, she decided to test herself – if she could make it to Jamba and back without feeling worse, she wanted to try to go to the parks. I knew it wouldn't work, but I let her go. Honestly, I would have done the same thing. By the time she got back though, it was clear she needed to go to first aid.

Mom and I finished packing while DD laid down for a little longer. Getting all of the items into the bags was an interesting undertaking! We had to shift things from bag to bag until all bags could be zipped. Once we had everything gathered, left the room with a luggage caravan. I never thought about calling Bell Services, which would have been much easier! We got everything downstairs, and DD left to head to DCA's first aid station, while mom and I took off for Disneyland at around 8.

I took mom on a few rides. I can't remember the order, but here's what we accomplished by noon:

Winnie the Pooh
HMH
Pirates
Buzz
Castle Walkthrough (just mom)

We also went through the shops. Mom sure loves her shopping! I had to remind her that whatever she got she'd have to fit in her purse. There was NO ROOM in any of the bags.

We were both getting hungry, so we went to Pacific Wharf Cafe. I got the vegetarian chili in a cup with the bread on the side (so we could take it to munch on in the plane). Mom got the chicken salad in the bread bowl, and we picked up a turkey sandwich to take to DD after we ate. The chili was okay – I expected better. Mom loved the chicken salad. Just looking at it I could tell they've improved their chicken to mayo ratio since our last visit! It used to have way too much mayo, but now seemed better.

We took DD her sandwich. She had been sleeping the entire time we were gone! She looked a little better, but still didn't have a voice and still had a small fever after taking tylenol. We gave her an option to stay or go, and she opted to stay for a little while. She fell back to sleep quickly, while mom and I headed out for TSMM. By the time we were finished with that ride, DD decided to join us for a bit. She looked a little green, but was adamant about continuing. We spent an hour or so just wandering around before I went on my one allotted thrill ride – ToT. My doctor gave me permission to ride it once since there would be no jerking or quick stops. I waited until right before we left just in case I was hurting after the ride.

Mom and DD waited for me outside since neither wanted to ride. Mom wouldn't say no to DD when she wanted to go on coasters, but she put her foot down when it came to elevators careening toward earth. It was a harrowing ride! My seatbelt wouldn't tighten all the way, so I came WAY out of my seat for each drop. I couldn't control my legs from popping up, so the poor guy in front of me got kicked in the arm a couple of times. He was a good sport though – not mad at all! I was sore after the ride, but I'd live. It became clear why I was ordered not to ride more than once. I'm sure I would have been in pretty bad shape if I had tried. I started to think about my love for thrill rides and coasters. I truly missed them! The sadness was short-lived. Thankfully there were other things to do in DLR.

The time had come to head back to the hotel. I think everyone was ready to head home. Mom missed her husband, and was exhausted from all of the walking. DD was putting up a good front, but I knew all she wanted was to get in her own bed. I knew I'd rather leave on a high note than push myself to the point of the pain I had on day 4.

We left the park, waving to the characters as we walked through Buena Vista street and around toward the GCH exit. Through the lobby and across the street, we made it to PPH in record time. The original plan was to catch the DLE in front of our hotel, but the night before, a CM named Robert gave us an alternative. If we caught it in front of our hotel, we'd have to change buses when we got to DLH. Since stairs are so difficult for me, he offered to drive us all (including our stack of bags) to DLH in his golf cart. That way I didn't have to climb up and down stairs anymore than necessary. One more reason I love DISNEY!

We chatted with Robert during the short ride and were sure to tip him generously. We waited 15 minutes for our bus, and were on our way. I worried about DD's ears on the plane. She already had earaches, a fever, and a horrible sore throat. Thankfully the flight was uneventful, and she slept most of the way.

We landed just before 11. My step-dad was there, ready to take mom home. He helped DD and I get our luggage in our van before they drove the 45 minutes to their house. We live closer to the airport, so were home in 25 minutes. As tired as we were, we stayed up another hour to hang out with the dogs. My service dog was so happy to see me! He kept handing me water bottles, the remote, and the phone for over a half an hour. I think he just wanted to remind me that he could still do everything I needed him to do. DD's crazy puppy was over the moon to see her human! They were well cared-for, but definitely missed their family.

By the next day, the activity from the last two weeks had caught up with me. The swelling in my legs, hands, feet, and face was getting worse, not better. I finally broke down and had a chat with the doctor. Apparently it was an autoimmune response – darn near all of the connective tissue in my body was inflamed. Back on steroids. It took DD a week to get rid of that cold, but now she's doing great. Mom did a lot of sleeping for a few days, then was back to her active self.

Even with the illnesses and pain, I'd do it all again. Sometimes it's important to just find the joy, no matter the cost. That's why we're planning two trips in 2013....I'll be going with friends in the Spring, and DD and I will go together in September when I take her to tour Universities she may transfer into after finishing her AA. The doctors think my traveling days are over, but I think I can squeeze out a few more trips before I'm done for good.

I'll be posting more pictures over the next few days.

Thanks for joining me on this trip journey!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
DizNee Luver

I'm so sorry to hear your daughter was sick on the last day. I've been very lucky to not be sick at Disneyland......knocking on wood loudly!! Good thinking about taking her to First Aid to rest. I probably would have found a couch in the lounge area of PPH and stayed there until it was time to go. At least taking her into the parks, it gave her the option to try and join you at some point and you didn't feel like you needed to stay in the lounge/lobby with her. She was in good hands!!

You rode ToT??????? <-------That would be me if I did that ride......lol I hate the feeling of falling......so I'm not a huge fan of Splash because of the big drop (and I don't like being wet). Well good for you....you are much braver than I!!

That really is awesome of Robert to go the extra mile. I know when I tipped him when he practically unloaded my entire van on arrival.......he said a big Thank You, my family appreciates this!! Made me feel good!

I'm glad the flight home didn't bother your daughters ears and was pretty much uneventful. You sure seemed to have a very good trip with lots of fun and memorable experiences......even if the last day was kinda hard.
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013

Old 12-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #22
Escape2Disney

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear your daughter was sick on the last day. I've been very lucky to not be sick at Disneyland......knocking on wood loudly!! Good thinking about taking her to First Aid to rest. I probably would have found a couch in the lounge area of PPH and stayed there until it was time to go. At least taking her into the parks, it gave her the option to try and join you at some point and you didn't feel like you needed to stay in the lounge/lobby with her. She was in good hands!!

I really struggled leaving her there! She may be 18, but she's still my little girl. My first thought was to hang out in the lobby with her, but she really wanted to lay down. She was also very insistent she didn't want end everyone's trip early. She was trying so hard just to be mature about it and take control of her own well-being. I had to let go and let her do her thing. It worked out really well! She got lots of sleep, and I had a bit of one-on-one time with my mom.

You rode ToT??????? <-------That would be me if I did that ride......lol I hate the feeling of falling......so I'm not a huge fan of Splash because of the big drop (and I don't like being wet). Well good for you....you are much braver than I!!

HAHA I hear ya! I much prefer roller coasters! Since they are on the 'never again' list, I decided to go with whatever I was allowed to do. The ride was GREAT, but I admit I was more than a little scared when I realized the seatbelt wasn't tight!!

That really is awesome of Robert to go the extra mile. I know when I tipped him when he practically unloaded my entire van on arrival.......he said a big Thank You, my family appreciates this!! Made me feel good!

He really reminded me of the 'old Disney' - so very gracious and doing whatever was needed to enhance the experience for guests. Such a stark difference from one of the other bell hops (can't remember his name). That guy was so rushed and dismissive! Robert really made us all feel like a valued member of the Disney family!

I'm glad the flight home didn't bother your daughters ears and was pretty much uneventful. You sure seemed to have a very good trip with lots of fun and memorable experiences......even if the last day was kinda hard.
Even with the end-of-trip challenges, it really was an amazing trip. One thing our family has learned through all of the illnesses, hospitals, and challenges is ATTITUDE is everything! Sure, we had tough moments, but we choose think that those challenges just make the good moments that much GREATER!

With that in mind, I'm thinking of starting a blog about the healing power of Disney. Sounds corny, but we certainly have a lot of content! What do you think?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #23
DizNee Luver

I think a blog is a fabulous idea....they also are therapeutic (like doing trip reports).

Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #24
Escape2Disney

Quote:
I think a blog is a fabulous idea....they also are therapeutic (like doing trip reports).
That's what I'm thinking. I also think it's really important to face challenges with a good state of mind. If we can laugh and create memories in the midst of doctors, hospitals and scary treatments, we're doing okay. I'm sure I can't be the only one who searches for the good in tough times!

For some reason, I'm thinking of this title..... Magical, Medicinal MICKEY!

HAHA, who knows?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #25
lucysmom
DIS Veteran

Loved your report. We went right before Christmas for our first time to DLR and reading about your adventures made me feel like I was back again. I am sorry for your troubles with your autoimmune condition. I have undifferentiated connective tissue disorder myself. I know how Disney magic can make everything better. You have a wonderful daughter to travel with. Enjoy your trips this year. Every trip is special.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #26
disnic75
Joe Rohde is so cool!

Question Dle

Hi! I am planning my first Disneyland trip with a few nights in LA. I have been trying to figure out how to get from LAX to Hollywood then to DLH. I figured we could take DLE from airport to Hollywood and from DLH back to airport but wasn't sure how to get from hotel to hotel other than taxi. I had not considered DLE. So it will take you back to LAX then off to Disneyland? How much time did that take? How much did it cost for 3 transfers? Sorry for all the questions. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

disnic75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: