Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

I started taking my kids when they were 6 weeks to 4 mos of age. We took my granddaughter when she was 6 mos. They were all perfect ages. We took my granddaughter at Christmas for a week. She was just shy of her 2nd birthday. She had such a blast. Is it as easy as it will be when she is 6-8? No, but it is worth it to us.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

No one can say who will be scared on what ride, and sometimes that even changes by the by the trip!

That being said, here are my personal "break points" for good milestones to go before or after:

1. Just before they turn 3, and you have to buy a ticket

2. When they are potty trained

3. When they are (for sure) over 40 inches and can ride a large portion of the rides in both parks

4. Before kindergarten, when you have to work around school schedules

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
No one can say who will be scared on what ride, and sometimes that even changes by the by the trip!

That being said, here are my personal "break points" for good milestones to go before or after:

1. Just before they turn 3, and you have to buy a ticket

2. When they are potty trained

3. When they are (for sure) over 40 inches and can ride a large portion of the rides in both parks

4. Before kindergarten, when you have to work around school schedules

PHXscuba
All excellent milestones!

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
DisneyFamily7
Disney Fanatic

My kids all went between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 and they had a magical time! They were not scared on the rides, although one of my 1 1/2 year-olds was scared to be up close to the characters. My other kids all loved the characters at that age.
[COLOR="Red"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Disneyland 1987, Disneyland 1995, WDW 1996, WDW 1997 (All Star Music),Disneyland 1997 (Disneyland Hotel),WDW 1999 (All Star Movies), WDW 2001 (Port Orleans Riverside), WDW 2003 (Fort Wilderness), Disney Cruise 2005 (Disney Magic)/WDW 2005 (All Star Sports), Disneyland 2007 (Disneyland Hotel),WDW 2013 (Pop) Next trip: June 2014 Disneyland
DisneyFamily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
helenb
Wishing for the World...

One thing I did for my kids when we first went to Disney (they were 2 and 4) was I gave them a fresh glow bracelet every morning. I told them that the bracelets were Tinkerbell's fairy dust and it would keep them safe, and if they got scared on a ride they should look at their bracelets. Of course the bracelets really lit up on the dark rides and the kids loved them! It worked for every dark ride including PoC and HM.

Just a suggestion.
helenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #21
tweak89
Mouseketeer

Wife and I don't have kids but from an observational standpoint, I would think around 8 yo. I only say this since that is when I actually start having any memories of Disneyland from my childhood (and we went many times before that).

IMO, taking kids younger than that is more for the parents, and that's just fine if it makes you happy. But, there's nothing like watching all the 2pm meltdowns as all the parents make a run to their hotel rooms for an afternoon break.
tweak89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
3Minnies1Mickey

I think if we based "worth it" on if they remember it as an adult we'd do away with birthday parties and trips to the zoo too. It's about the fun and family time in the moment.

We took our nephews for the first time at age 8, and though they had fun, it doesn't compare to the magic of seeing your 2 year old meet their favorite princess or buzz and woody.

Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #23
tweak89
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Minnies1Mickey View Post
I think if we based "worth it" on if they remember it as an adult we'd do away with birthday parties and trips to the zoo too. It's about the fun and family time in the moment.

We took our nephews for the first time at age 8, and though they had fun, it doesn't compare to the magic of seeing your 2 year old meet their favorite princess or buzz and woody.
Never said it wouldn't be "worth it". You did, however, just reinforce exactly what I said. Again, if it makes you happy, then that's what matters.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #24
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So absolutely true. I will never forget the look on my 3yo nieces face when she saw Cinderella the first time. She had told me they were only cartoons. But when she saw Cinderella at Disneyland, her eyes got HUGE and she gasped "She's REAL!!"

I took my kids from young ages, and while they have no active knowledge of their early trips, they do have our memories that we still laugh about: the time we got stuck on POTC, and my younger son, about 18 mos, decided he needed to swim for it (we kept him in the boat) or a certain trip to Goofy's kitchen or how my Youngest got lost and wound up riding IASW on her own.... So many memories. Like I said, I started them at a very young age. They are now 27, 26, 24, and 23, and they still love vacationing with mom and going to Disneyland.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #25
Aussie Princess
Mouseketeer

I am taking my DS in November for his 2nd birthday ( but we are doing the trip just before due to thanksgiving) I think it's at your own personal choice on what age is the ideal age
2011 - 4th Visit to DLR - final leg of round the world trip
2012 - 5th Visit - First Ever Sisters Holiday - leaving baby and husband in Aust

Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain here i come!

Disney for life
Aussie Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #26
californiamomof4grls
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I couldn't agree with you more. I can't imagine waiting until the girls were 8 to take them. I can remember going to Kindergarten as one of my earliest memories! My girls talk about their second trip when they saw the Pixar Parade they were 4 and 3 and we only saw it that trip! I think everyone is different. But to say that we make our children happy for ourselves is silly.

March 3rd - March 5th 2010 @ the Hojo! Our 10 year Disneymoonerversery!
Disney trip gifted from the Ellen Degenerous show April29th -May 2 2011 First time our family flew!
californiamomof4grls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #27
tweak89
Mouseketeer

I think you all are reading way more into MY OPINION than you should.

Last edited by tweak89; 01-14-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #28
tdhickey
DIS Veteran

I have taken my kids at less than 1, at 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 at some point in those age groups.

Taking a first trip overall is better when they are at least 5 if you are not planning on going back anytime soon. It's not so much about the rides, more the memory retention which kicks in at that age.

Taking them before 3 is ideal because they are free, so if you want to go lots of times, go for it. The kids rides have short waits, except Peter Pan.
tdhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #29
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak89 View Post
Wife and I don't have kids but from an observational standpoint, I would think around 8 yo. I only say this since that is when I actually start having any memories of Disneyland from my childhood (and we went many times before that).

IMO, taking kids younger than that is more for the parents, and that's just fine if it makes you happy. But, there's nothing like watching all the 2pm meltdowns as all the parents make a run to their hotel rooms for an afternoon break.
I've taken my niece's at various ages but the youngest was the trip to DL with my oldest niece who was going to turn 4 yrs old. Not all little children have meltdowns, I have taken both niece's and neither ever had a tantrum.

For me the first trip with my niece who was almost 4 was the best. I just remember how she thought we were just going to DL for a Mickey Bar. I told her that we were staying to go on rides and see the parade. I can still picture her little face as we watched the parade.

I'm sure any age you take your child will be special. My niece remembered the first trip a year later as we were going to WDW. She also fell in love with Stitch at DL. We didn't see him but someone had a Stitch hat on and she asked about it, she never mentioned it again until we got home and then that's all she talked about. She still loves Stitch at 9 yrs old. My mom and I are taking her and her sister to DL this year. I hope now she is old enough to enjoy some of the bigger rides.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #30
3Minnies1Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
So absolutely true. I will never forget the look on my 3yo nieces face when she saw Cinderella the first time. She had told me they were only cartoons. But when she saw Cinderella at Disneyland, her eyes got HUGE and she gasped "She's REAL!!"

I took my kids from young ages, and while they have no active knowledge of their early trips, they do have our memories that we still laugh about: the time we got stuck on POTC, and my younger son, about 18 mos, decided he needed to swim for it (we kept him in the boat) or a certain trip to Goofy's kitchen or how my Youngest got lost and wound up riding IASW on her own.... So many memories. Like I said, I started them at a very young age. They are now 27, 26, 24, and 23, and they still love vacationing with mom and going to Disneyland.
So sweet! DS was infatuated with Snow White when he was 9 mo old. We went to Ariel's Grotto and she sat there and talked to him forever. He just smiled and babbled at her. At 2 we took him to WDW for the Halloween party and he was Peter Pan. We have a ton of pics of him with Tinkerbell. Including one of her kissing his cheek. My DD was 4 and dressed and Tink and they got some of the sweetest photos of them hugging and giving sassy looks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: