Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #46
Dave Dizney
Super-Duper organized Ultimate Disney Fan!
And Travel Channel Television Star!
Possibly a hitchhiking ghost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitlerzx4 View Post
I love this trip report. Happy 30th to you and your beautiful wife!!
Thanks! Our "actual" wedding anniversary is in the summer, so were were actually 30.5 years married!

...and we were 5 and 6 when it happened!
Dave Dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #47
Dave Dizney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
We only went in the adult hot tubs...we would walk past the family ones and they had a million little children in there and we just got a little grossed out about all those little people in the water. They had to clean the Mickey pool at one point due to an "accident in the pool". GROSS!
I saw them drain that pool - we wondered what had happened, but were glad we hadn't been swimming there then! Somehow the idea of the swimming in the family hot tubs became more of dipping in "people soup" by the end of the day.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #48
Dave Dizney

Part 7 – Day 3 afternoon

Part 7 – Day 3 afternoon

So then we strolled through the stores at Atlantis and looked at the unique art work.

Outside there are some little boats parked…

There’s a nice outdoor shopping district where we found a Tortuga cake outlet. We had a small banana cake.

Then we made the decision to take the boat back for a late lunch – this led to the biggest bummer of our entire trip. This was our little boat back…

This guy told stories about the rich and famous who have houses on their island (like Oprah and Nicholas Cage – don’t know how much was true). He then told how much they appreciated our American money and about all his hungry children at home, and then passed his hat. We thought, hey, we tipped our taxi driver, we might as well do the same here.

We just sat, listened to this guy ramble on, and enjoy the bright red color of the little boat.

The water travel allowed for some additional photos of the ship…

So before we board, I took this photo of DW, and right after she gasped and said I had blood dripping down both arms! I looked and quickly assessed, that’s not blood, that’s paint! That fresh coat of red paint on the boat? It was much more “fresh” than we thought. My arms were all red – as was my brand new Disney Cruise Line shirt! I wanted to run back through customs and find those guys, but I knew they were already long gone. Onboard, guest services gave us some tiny alcohol rubs to take off the paint on our arms, but the shirt was going to take more work. We tried in vain, using various methods to get it out.

After all that cleaning, we deserved a break. Exhibit C…

So now that we had our only negative experience, we decided to cash in on the Senses Spa Rainforest day-pass we had won the night before at “Match Your Mate.” What ensued proved once again why we were never made for the upper-class.

So we entered the same reception area where the snooty cast member had attempted to up-sell us the day before and I got out our certificates and said “BOO-YEAH” in her face (not really, but that would have been fun). We were taken back to the locker room where we put on our swimsuits and were given a bathrobe and towel. We entered the Rainforest area where we got some water.

We next went to the showers. Something you must know about my DW, she likes her showers one degree under scalding. Since a number of these showers involve cooler water (especially for guest in the summer months), each time she (or I ) would hit a button that delivered cooler water, she’d let out a little scream. This is NOT conducive for the tranquil quite the spa is supposed to evoke.

So next we tried the saunas. DW didn’t understand the concept of sitting in a hot room and sweating. We spent about 5 minutes in each. When we came to the steam room, DW said “Oh, no-no-no-no!” I made her sit, but in 30 seconds she was sounding like Darth Vader – so that wasn’t going to work.

We next went to the heated benches. Half of the seats were taken by people in various stages of consciousness. We quietly found two benches next to each other, but since we had not brought a book or anything, DW started to tap her fingers and wag her feet – she was board. How about we try the whirlpool?

These whirlpools seat two – so when one was open, we went over and took off our robes and folded our towels, but couldn’t figure out where to place them, so we put them on the floor. Another couple came and took the other whirlpool, and neatly folded their robes and towels and placed them on the wood corner of the whirlpool. So in comparison, we looked like we had wadded up our stuff and thrown it on the floor. I hear banjos playing off in the distance.

DW turns on the jest in the whirlpool, and her little lightweight body just about floated out of the tub! She was laughing so much; I decided we had better leave so we wouldn’t disturb the patrons any further. On our way out, we passed by a heated chair upon which was one elderly Asian woman who was nearly comatose at the time. As we tip-toed by her, she was awakened by her own loud thundering fart! DW had to RUN through the doors and as soon as I was out of earshot of the woman, I offered a Buddy the Elf quote “DID YOU HEAR THAT???”

DW had to be picked up off the floor and carried out of the Spa. We will never be invited back.

So, in our continuing saga of the shirt, once the ship went out to sea, we ran down to the shops to check with our darling store cast-member to see if she had anything to recommend for taking out the paint on my new shirt. She took a look at it, and shook her head with a glance that there was no hope. Long story short – she went to her manager, and before we left, all was right with the world. Moral of the story: Treat cast member right, and they will return the favor!!!

So finally, it was Pirate Night! Earlier, we had spent Halloween going around to different local costume stores to find the perfect getups for the evening. When we got dressed that night for the show and dinner, we had the fear that we might be the only ones who got this creative.

We were happy to find MANY people who also dressed up. What was even more fun is that I had many conversations with children about my adventures on the high sea. I even was challenged to a duel by a princess – who immediately disarmed my and saved the day.

Since we had late seating, we again first went to the show. It was Knight Magic, who did a top-notch magic show. There was both big Vegas-style productions and close-up sleight of hand. Misty, the female half of the show kept DW fascinated with her quick-change outfits, and kept me fascinated …for other reasons.

We then went out on deck for the pirate party – it was cute, but we stayed out of the chaos for the most part by holding onto our hats and watching from the upper deck.

More coming about dinner at the Royal Palace!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #49
Dixielady908
Grandma's Little Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dizney View Post
Thanks - it was totally unexpected to be chosen because we had been together the longest. How did we get to be THAT???
I dont know, I'm in the same "boat" that you are...34 years here in May....so I guess we were just babes also when we got married...

Another great installment, I would have been on floor as was your wife with the lady in the spa.....to funny....
1978 Contemporary Resort - 1979 Contemporary Resort - 1990 Off site - 1997 Dixielandings - 2000 - Port Orleans - Riverside 2004 - Port Orleans - Riverside - 2006 - Disney Magic - Eastern 2007 - Pop Century - 2008 - Disney Magic - Western 2011 - Disney Magic Western-turned into a Eastern - 2013 - Disney Fantasy - Western - 2014 - Disney Parks - 2015 - Disney Wonder - Alaska

Denise
Nanaheads Rule
Dixielady908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #50
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Loving your report, it is very entertaining. Looking forward to reading the rest.

I think you may fit in at our Disney Dads Club. We have our own little spot on the family board if you are interested.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=185
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #51
lolita18
Earning My Ears

I'm really lovin your review. I board the Dream 24 Jan. My second Disney Cruise. So excited and your review is making me more excited!
lolita18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #52
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

Okay, so I just finished a ten minute laughing-my-tummy-sore episode after that Rainforest Room experience!! I hope I run into you on a future cruise!

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #53
dnbent
Mouseketeer

Enjoying your report.

Sounds and by the pictures looks like you had a great time.
dnbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #54
Dizbabe
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch View Post
Okay, so I just finished a ten minute laughing-my-tummy-sore episode after that Rainforest Room experience!! I hope I run into you on a future cruise!
It truly was a funny experience! So much fun! We laughed so hard! It was a great end to our "short" time in the SPA!!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #55
Dave Dizney

Part 8 - Day 3 Night

Part 8 – Day 3 evening

Our Pirate Night was in the Royal Palace this evening.

I knew I’d have to remove my Jeff Foxworthy mustache if I was going to eat some soup.

Here are our selections – first, we both had the crab cake

Someone else opted for the pineapple and caramel

I tried the Honeydew and Watermelon Soup

And DW had the Conch Chowder – which I preferred.

DW had the Castaway Chicken Breast (do you see a pattern here?)

I had the Jack Sparrow’s Barbecue marinated Beef Short Ribs

Again, someone else had the fish

DW ordered the Rum Soaked Chocolate Cake

And again, I had the Sweet Temptations trio of floating island (which had a kind of hard marshmallow cup), fruit cobbler, and chocolate cake.

Somebody else got the fruit cobbler

Each night I had the coffee (Nescafe junk) which passed for something coffee-flavored.

The wait staff were really into the festivities!

We ended the evening with the fireworks – if you don’t care about the little show that goes on mid-ship, a great place to watch the fireworks are up on the adult deck forward.

Mr. Elephant told us that yet another day had come to an end (and our Palo tickets came!). Yet the BEST day was still ahead of us!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #56
Wazzo
Is in need of a No Way Jose!
Just the unput I was looking for
I'm the undecided party

I am thoroughly enjoying your trip report!

I think we had one of the same servers! Was your server's name Jason? (Or Jayson?) He was amazing!!
Wazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #57
Dave Dizney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzo View Post
I am thoroughly enjoying your trip report!

I think we had one of the same servers! Was your server's name Jason? (Or Jayson?) He was amazing!!
Yep. That was Jayson! Good guy!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #58
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

Wow, completely enjoying your report and pictures. I definately remember when you were on TV. I especially remember all your great Disney shirts. One of the main reason I remember them is both my DH and I have some of the same shirts. I also have two of the matching sundresses. Very scary.

Anyway, love all the info on your report. We are heading on the 4 night Dream in November for our anniversary and there are 8 of our friends coming with us. Two of them will be celebrating their birthday's while we are on this cruise so there will be lots to celebrate. I am hoping to book Palo for all of us on our last night.

Love about heading to the free beach near Atlantis. I really would love to check it out but would just like to use the beach and walk around. I don't need to do the pool and slides. I am going to keep reading all your great tips.

Thanks,
Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #59
Dave Dizney

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpizzuro123 View Post
Wow, completely enjoying your report and pictures. I definately remember when you were on TV. I especially remember all your great Disney shirts. One of the main reason I remember them is both my DH and I have some of the same shirts. I also have two of the matching sundresses. Very scary.

Anyway, love all the info on your report. We are heading on the 4 night Dream in November for our anniversary and there are 8 of our friends coming with us. Two of them will be celebrating their birthday's while we are on this cruise so there will be lots to celebrate. I am hoping to book Palo for all of us on our last night.

Love about heading to the free beach near Atlantis. I really would love to check it out but would just like to use the beach and walk around. I don't need to do the pool and slides. I am going to keep reading all your great tips.

Thanks,
Linda

Yes, I still have some of those shirts from 6 years ago (so sad). I've made a new rule that whenever I buy a new one, I need to retire an old one. After this trip, I need to retire two - which I have yet to do.

Glad you're enjoying this - I still have to finish the last parts (and going back to work really gets in the way!).
Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #60
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dizney View Post
Yes, I still have some of those shirts from 6 years ago (so sad). I've made a new rule that whenever I buy a new one, I need to retire an old one. After this trip, I need to retire two - which I have yet to do.

Glad you're enjoying this - I still have to finish the last parts (and going back to work really gets in the way!).
Love those shirts. No need to retire. We always try to wear one of those style shirts when we eat at 'Ohana. We have to be careful what we wear there for pictures - otherwise it looks like we only own one shirt.

I have been checking out ebay for those style shirts - and there are tons of them there. I used to work in NYC and miss the old store on 5th Avenue - I used to be able to get all that stuff there.

Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: