Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
shaynanick
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9

Book now or wait??

Hello All-
My husband and I along with our 4 children are planning a trip for fall 2013. We know they release the free dining plans in May for the fall but, we want to book soon so we can pay over time. However, should we book now and cancel and rebook when the dining plan is released?? Or should we just wait??
shaynanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,733

If you are going regardless of whether or not free dining (or another discount) comes out, I would book now to be sure you get the resort you want. If you will go only if free dining is offered, I'd wait to book. Disney releases discounts to fill rooms, so booking a room now "in hopes" of a discount is one room closer to filling that resort, which in turn, can make that resort have few or no rooms available under a discount. With that said, if you do book now and book a package, there is no need to cancel/rebook. If free dining comes out for your dates/resort and has availability under the promo, it is easy to have the reservation modified to reflect free dining. However, if you book room only now and change to a package later, the room only will have to be cancelled/refunded and the package booked, requiring a new $200 deposit as money paid toward one cannot be applied to the other. HTH .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
fitzperry
DIS Veteran
 
fitzperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,928

I think it depends on how flexible you are willing to be about your room arrangements. If the discount, should one become available, is more important to you than the particular resort or room category, then it might make sense to wait. But if you do that and they don't offer discounts, you may have difficulty getting the room you want, even at rack rate. I recently reserved our room for the first week of December because I want the CR garden wing. Standard rooms (my preference) were already booked, so I had to reserve a garden view, and now the website is showing no availability for those either. A nice discount might tempt us to switch, but for room categories that tend to book up its nice to have something reserved.
__________________
Jen

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
AliceIn
DIS Veteran
 
AliceIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Posts: 1,264

You never know if the week you want will be included in the FD. We were hoping to get one last year for the late summer/early fall offering, but the week we went was skipped entirely from any promos. We'd booked our flights at the same time as our hotel (airfare was ridiculously cheap), so we couldn't get the free dining. Not having FD wasn't a deal breaker for us, but it is for others.

What I would do is put your reservation in for the week you want, but don't do the airfare at the same time. You'll be able to keep paying on the reservation, but also have the flexibility to change it. I think it becomes a bit less flexible if you are less than 45 days prior to your vacation, but I don't know details.
AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
shaynanick
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9

Thank you I will just go ahead and book. I believe we will make it for CSR and chose the dining plan. If FD is offered later we might see if we could switch to the WL.
shaynanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,733

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynanick View Post
Thank you I will just go ahead and book. I believe we will make it for CSR and chose the dining plan. If FD is offered later we might see if we could switch to the WL.
I'm not familiar with CSR and their room types or what room type you are going to book, but with 6 people, staying at WL will require you to get 2 regular rooms or a deluxe CL room as WL regular rooms only accommodates 4 + 1 under the age of 3, with the deluxe rooms accommodating 6. You may already be aware of this, but thought I would point that out just in case.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,619

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
If you are going regardless of whether or not free dining (or another discount) comes out, I would book now to be sure you get the resort you want. If you will go only if free dining is offered, I'd wait to book. Disney releases discounts to fill rooms, so booking a room now "in hopes" of a discount is one room closer to filling that resort, which in turn, can make that resort have few or no rooms available under a discount. With that said, if you do book now and book a package, there is no need to cancel/rebook. If free dining comes out for your dates/resort and has availability under the promo, it is easy to have the reservation modified to reflect free dining. However, if you book room only now and change to a package later, the room only will have to be cancelled/refunded and the package booked, requiring a new $200 deposit as money paid toward one cannot be applied to the other. HTH .
I go with this, and wait for discounts to be released before I book. Booking ahead and hoping for a discount, free DDP, etc works against you getting any discount, as mentioned. Disney looks at booking, and if enough rooms are booked, they won't release a discount.
I set up a vacay fund and make my monthly contributions for my trip that way. We calculate how much we need to be paid in full by the 45 day point, and make monthly payments to our acct.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
michelleiada
DIS Veteran
 
michelleiada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,645

I suggest booking now and when new promotion is released you call and get the promotion added to your ressie!
__________________
Michelle 1988 offsite, 1990 offsite, 2001 offsite, 2007 WDW Swan, 2009 Beach Club Villas, 2011 Beach Club Villas, 2012 Bonnet Creek for AAU Basketball Nationals, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.