Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Actually, I just sailed on the Fantasy in December and all 3 of my DCL excursions were already charged to my account on the first day of the cruise. When my parasailing excursion on CC was cancelled due to high winds, I had a credit on my account later that day for the excursion.

Sayhello
This happened to us in January 2011. Maybe they have changed? Thanks for the heads up on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setablaze View Post
All good info. Can someone please explain in detail the priority for booking shore excursions and how far out....... My calculations are 44% difference. I will have to get my own cab and pretty sure any food would be out of pocket with DCL as well.

There comes a point when its a calculated risk all factors beinging considered. I guess I have not religated myself to "its a Disney cruise so prepare to hemmorage $$$$$"
We also book our own excursions and have not had a problem in 9 cruises. We plan with plenty of time. I have been told by vendors that their reputation depends on getting guests back to the ship on time. If they don't, that ruins their reputation. We did our own excursions in Alaska. When kids turn 10 DCL charges them adult prices. The vendors consider them children and just charge the lower price. That meant that we booked both kids for the price of one adult with DCL on the White Pass excursion. No need to worry about not getting back in time with that because the cars holding the DCL guests is hooked up to the same engine. We just saved a full fare on the excursion. In Key West DCL wanted to charge the kids adult price for the trolley. On the dock the company offers kids free with a paying adult...and you can get on and off the trolley as much as you want. With the DCL trolley excursion you can't get off at all.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #17
Turtlemom
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the info everyone. I booked some shore excursions for now--but the shore excursion that I wanted was one of the horseback riding trips on Puerto Rico (my dd is crazy about horses). Don't know if I'm adventurous enough to try to book one of those on my own.

Disney does charge a premium for excursions, but it is nice to have them take care of all the details. On our last DCL cruise to the bahamas, I had booked an Atlantis package individually through the Comfort Inn rather than DCL (big savings), but we ended up canceling while on ship because of a hurricane.

Sigh. guess we'll do the Bacardi/Island tour instead.

Unless anyone else has any great suggestions for excursions on Puerto Rico????
Turtlemom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #18
setablaze
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
This happened to us in January 2011. Maybe they have changed? Thanks for the heads up on that.

We also book our own excursions and have not had a problem in 9 cruises. We plan with plenty of time. I have been told by vendors that their reputation depends on getting guests back to the ship on time. If they don't, that ruins their reputation. We did our own excursions in Alaska. When kids turn 10 DCL charges them adult prices. The vendors consider them children and just charge the lower price. That meant that we booked both kids for the price of one adult with DCL on the White Pass excursion. No need to worry about not getting back in time with that because the cars holding the DCL guests is hooked up to the same engine. We just saved a full fare on the excursion. In Key West DCL wanted to charge the kids adult price for the trolley. On the dock the company offers kids free with a paying adult...and you can get on and off the trolley as much as you want. With the DCL trolley excursion you can't get off at all.
Thanks Lisa. I knew there were ppl out there not prepared to bow down like me. I get the convience and reassurance but at what cost? More importantly like you said about trolley, DCL you cant get off and on the dock free w/adult and get on and off as much as you like. I feel like Im being held hostage by a polite kidnapper.

Like you mentioned about reputation, its important to the vendors. And actually isnt it more important to DCL? I mean I know ports have been closed before but wouldnt it also ruin DCL reputation if they didnt mantain a high % record for fufilling the cruise itinerary as stated. While all the "what-ifs" exisist I believe they are a very small %.
setablaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: