Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
debbie1996
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGAS View Post
Is signup available during morning EMH?
Yes - we signed up on Saturday (1/5) during EMH - and were in the first show at 9:20ish (sorry I can't remember if that was show time or when we had to be back)
debbie1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #17
susanv
Mouseketeer

Will it be the same on opening day for Star Wars Weekends? Taking DS (6 turning 7) and two of his friends for his birthday and he desperately wants to get in.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanv
Will it be the same on opening day for Star Wars Weekends? Taking DS (6 turning 7) and two of his friends for his birthday and he desperately wants to get in.
They do more shows, have more slots, or both to handle the increased demand during SWW. How that translates into when the slots run out, sooner or later than other days, I have no idea. But, I would still go there at park open or very shortly after.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #19
susanv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
They do more shows, have more slots, or both to handle the increased demand during SWW. How that translates into when the slots run out, sooner or later than other days, I have no idea. But, I would still go there at park open or very shortly after.
Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #20
RalphinSC
Founder of the Daft Brotherhood of the Ubiquitous Mugshare

During SWW, the sign-up for the show is ussually at the Indiana Jones area, and expect a very large line so get there at rope drop.

Also, there is a cool quiz show for the kiddos called Padawan Mind Challenge. It signs up as well at rope drop during SWW at the ABC soundstage. I know the kid needs to be ther for the JTA sign-up, not 100% sure about the Padawan. Of the two, I'd definitely head to the JTA sign-ups first.

Padawan seemed like an afterthought to most but it was really cool. My son got to play on the big stage right before the Hyperspace Hoopla with Snig and Oopla and the droids. Both experiences are very fun for the kids. If I were you, I'd try to get them signed up for both.

Here's a video of the Padawan Mind Challenge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1fdMYqiV44

Myself 35 , DW 33 , DS 10

March 2011 ASMo
June 2012 Pop Century
June 2014 Bringing extended family Pop Century

My Family of the Day Experience With Pictures 6/8/2012:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2939320
My Little Guy's Disney Surprise http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933866
RalphinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #21
Salrx95
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info in this thread. I did not know my son had to be with me. We have an ADR for Hollywood & Vine that morning and I was gonna leave to go sign him up and come back. Now I'll take him with me. We will be there on February 11th and I am beyond excited to have him do this. It may be the highlight of our week.

Our ADR is for 8am. Can I sign him up that early or does it need to be at rope drop at 9am so I could likely get in line before 9 but then wait to sign up and go back and eat.

Last edited by Salrx95; 01-12-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: added info.
Salrx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #22
PrincessArlena'sDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salrx95 View Post
Thanks for the info in this thread. I did not know my son had to be with me. We have an ADR for Hollywood & Vine that morning and I was gonna leave to go sign him up and come back. Now I'll take him with me. We will be there on February 11th and I am beyond excited to have him do this. It may be the highlight of our week.

Our ADR is for 8am. Can I sign him up that early or does it need to be at rope drop at 9am so I could likely get in line before 9 but then wait to sign up and go back and eat.
If you are on time for your ADR (meaning, be at the gate to enter HS no later than 7:45), you should be done eating long before 9 am. At around 8:45, or so, they'll start to let people into the park, and at this point, you start out towards Jedi. And, if you have a 2nd adult with you, send that adult with everyone's tickets to get FPs for TSM, and have them meet you at Jedi (you'll probably get the first show for Jedi doing this).

To speed things up at H&V, ask for the check when the server first brings you drinks, and pay right away. After 8:30, everyone there will be trying to get their checks settled to leave for rope drop, and it can be a LONG wait to pay. Even after you pay, you can still enjoy the buffet until you finish. Also, you can finish filling in the tip amount at the very end, so you can adjust it based on quality of service.

I don't think you can come back to H&V after signing up for Jedi, to finish eating. There might be a 15-20 min wait to sign up, if you don't get in front of the crowd. Plus, it's about a 5 min walk, each way.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #23
Salrx95
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessArlena'sDad View Post
If you are on time for your ADR (meaning, be at the gate to enter HS no later than 7:45), you should be done eating long before 9 am. At around 8:45, or so, they'll start to let people into the park, and at this point, you start out towards Jedi. And, if you have a 2nd adult with you, send that adult with everyone's tickets to get FPs for TSM, and have them meet you at Jedi (you'll probably get the first show for Jedi doing this).

To speed things up at H&V, ask for the check when the server first brings you drinks, and pay right away. After 8:30, everyone there will be trying to get their checks settled to leave for rope drop, and it can be a LONG wait to pay. Even after you pay, you can still enjoy the buffet until you finish. Also, you can finish filling in the tip amount at the very end, so you can adjust it based on quality of service.

I don't think you can come back to H&V after signing up for Jedi, to finish eating. There might be a 15-20 min wait to sign up, if you don't get in front of the crowd. Plus, it's about a 5 min walk, each way.
Thank you so much. This is all very helpful. We will be on time and my wife can stay with the 4 year old. I'm glad you think we could get the first show, which means even if things don't go as you planned it out, we could then get the 2nd or 3rd show. I've been so worried we will somehow get shutout and the number one thing we all want to in our 7 days is get the 7 year old in the jedi training at HS.

Plus now by knowing this, I can enjoy the food and experience and not feel rushed worried, etc.

So by 840, we should at Jedi and then we should have no issues. Is that a safe plan. I'm 6'5 and walk fast and the 7 year old will over the moon excited so we will make good time.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #24
alohamom
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if there is an upper age restriction? My daughter is 15 and a total Star Wars nut. The last time we were at HS it was a pick from the crowd scenario and we just watched but she wants to do this. I kinda think it is limited to young kids but I am hoping I might be wrong?
alohamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #25
starrysky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohamom
Does anyone know if there is an upper age restriction? My daughter is 15 and a total Star Wars nut. The last time we were at HS it was a pick from the crowd scenario and we just watched but she wants to do this. I kinda think it is limited to young kids but I am hoping I might be wrong?
It's children between the ages of 4 and 12

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #26
scoutie
DIS Veteran

We were there right at rope drop, walked very quickly to sign-up, and got a show time of 12:40.

I was going to say if it's a must do, get there early, but I see you have that covered. Have fun!!! It was definitely a highlight for my son and for us!
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #27
Salrx95
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutie View Post
We were there right at rope drop, walked very quickly to sign-up, and got a show time of 12:40.

I was going to say if it's a must do, get there early, but I see you have that covered. Have fun!!! It was definitely a highlight for my son and for us!
yeah, our first family trip was Feb 2011 and the kids were 2.5 and 5.5 and they were in the beginning of the star wars phase. I was 4 when New Hope came out so it was a huge part of my childhood. So we only watched the jedi training (I asked about signing up but it was filled up but he was too timid anyways) Now they've been deep into it for awhile and the now 7.5 year old is so excited for it.

I'm a really huge sports fan but I told my brother the other day that seeing my 7.5 year old, named Luke, of course, battle Vader will be bigger than any sports ever except for maybe one. It will be the week's highlight, for sure. The only thing that could top it would be the experience staying in the Cars suite at AoA as Cars has been a big part of our lives for like 5 years now and was the big obsession in this house before Star Wars replaced it.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #28
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I would still go at park opening for Star Wars Weekends - while they add extra shows and expand capacity, the guest capacity (at least those interested in Star Wars) expands as well.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #29
Salrx95
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I would still go at park opening for Star Wars Weekends - while they add extra shows and expand capacity, the guest capacity (at least those interested in Star Wars) expands as well.
our dream would be to go to Star Wars weekend. Hopefully, in a couple of years, there may be more of those weekends due to Disney now owning stars wars. Plus, the wife will go back to work soon once 4.5 year old goes to full day K in September so there will be more money coming in. This way, we can maybe fly in (and not drive to save money) for a long weekend to do it.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #30
wtrmlnlabs
DIS Veteran

Can anyone be more specific on their travel times? We're going in December and want to be sure to do Jedi training at least for DS6. His brother has done it twice but he wasn't old enough (or ready for it) yet. I want to be sure he gets to do it. We're going the first week in Dec though and wondering if we really need to worry about doing the Hollywood and Vine thing to get in earlier if it's a pretty slow time of the year. We've gone in Dec before, it's so nice an not crowded
wtrmlnlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: