Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #31
barbarasc
CruiseCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Guest Services would never request that you stay in your cabin under quarantine, such order would come from the ship's doctor. Also, since cast members at Guest Services are not medically trained, they would likely expect an adult in any party to be mature enough to determine whether a member of that party should see a doctor. They also may not refer passengers to the medical office because there is added expense to the guest, it's not a free service. If a member of my family was ill and I wasn't sure if he/she should see a doctor, I would call the medical office and ask - just like I'd call the doctor's office at home and ask. Keep in mind that the medical office has a vested interest in billing for patients seen. I also believe it's the ship's doctor who maintains records about how many passengers reported certain symptoms, not the Guest Services desk; DCL certain receives the info, but not necessarily the Guest Services desk unless there has been an outbreak determined. While it may sound like a lot to say 100 people were sick, that's a small percentage of the population onboard a full ship.

If you called Guest Services and asked "I am sick, how do I get seen by a doctor onboard?" and it was shrugged off, then I'd agree DCL was avoiding the issue.
We were sick....not sick enough to see the doctor as we knew what we had and I had cruised enough and carry medications that help with the symptoms of a Norwalk type virus. I was calling Guest Services to inquire if others OR the medical center had reported such symptoms. It has been my experience on other cruises on DCL that in fact Guest Services are altered to Norwalk type illness on the ship. The medical center was closed when I made my call as they are not manned 24hrs a day.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #32
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarasc View Post
We were sick....not sick enough to see the doctor as we knew what we had and I had cruised enough and carry medications that help with the symptoms of a Norwalk type virus. I was calling Guest Services to inquire if others OR the medical center had reported such symptoms. It has been my experience on other cruises on DCL that in fact Guest Services are altered to Norwalk type illness on the ship. The medical center was closed when I made my call as they are not manned 24hrs a day.
Yes, Guest Services will know if there's a Noro Virus outbreak, but not necessarily for the flu. Your post implied that you expected Guest Services might "required us to see the doctors on board, nor did they request that we stay in the cabin" so it sounded like you were expecting Guest Services to make that determination for you. Sorry I misunderstood.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #33
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

They were great--kept him as happy as you could keep a sick kid on a shirt cruise!
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #34
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
It was awesome. My daughter slept a lot the last day but other than that, it was a great trip.
I'm just curious, did your daughter get the flu shot this season? I know it's not 100% effective, but it will prevent certain strains of the flu.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #35
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

It seems to me it's best to avoid cruises during the cold and flu season. It's way too much money to spend and risk catching something. We have been on two cruises, once in June and once in May. Had a great time both times so I think we will keep our Disney cruising to the warm months.

ME DH DS
Disneyland- hundreds of times
Disneyland Hotel 6/05,12/05
Disney Fairytale Wedding@Disneyland 6/05
WDW 2/04, 6/05, 5/12, 10/14, 10/15
Port Orleans Riverside 2/04 & 6/05
All Star Movies Resort 5/12
Coronado Springs 10/9/14
Port Orleans French Quarter 9/30/15
Disney Wonder 6/05
Disney Dream 4/12
Disney Fantasy 10/18/14 & 10/10/15
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #36
pooksma
Can't help it~there is something about Ed...kinda like the Gary Sinise thing...
Well I have laughed my posterior region until it almost removed itself from my body

Sorry to read about your daughter. Glad you were able to have a great time prior to her becoming ill and hope to read more about your Dream trip.

pooksma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #37
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
My wife just took my daughter to the doctor and found out she has Type A flu and a fever of 103. We flew home from MCO on Sunday. I'm guessing she got the flu on the ship as she started feeling bad the last day of the cruise and has gotten progressively worse.

So is there any reason to notify DCL or is it "too late" since it's she is back out at sea now with different passengers?
We were on the same cruise and DD is sick too. We flew home Monday and DD went to school Tuesday - Friday. When I picked her up Friday afternoon, the teacher said the last 30 minutes she had spent with her head down on her desk not feeling well. We were headed for a "well" visit at the doctor anyway. It turned into a sick visit. She fell asleep within 5 minutes of getting in the car and other than a few minutes at a time to be checked by doctor, to have blood drawn, or the 4 bouts of vomitting, she slept for 16 hrs. The doctor thought it was probably just going to be a 24-48 hr stomach bug with a fever, but she woke this morning and both are gone.

Having recent flu shots and not having all of the symptoms, the doctor didn't want to swab for the flu. She did run some basic bloodwork to make sure nothing else was going on. Emailing her teacher Friday night revealed quite a few at school have been sick, so it's possible she's picked it up returning to school this week.

And reading through the thread and all the messages about "clean to dirty" is a good reminder...I'll continue packing and using my clorox wipes every trip, no matter how crazy everyone thinks I am. It's better than being
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: