Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
pookybean
Mouseketeer

should i wait to book?

i have decided to take our first cruise may 2013. since i have waited so long to decide to go would it be beneficial to wait another month or so to see if the price goes down or if i can get one of those "last minute deals"?

if i do wait can i use a disney ta or would i have to keep stalking the expedia type sites?

thanks,

megan

me, ds 17, dd12, dd4
pookybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure what you mean by "a disney TA." You can book a cruise thru any TA at any time. I do check prices sometimes thru Expedia or whatever, but I don't book thru them!

There are many good agencies and agents out there. I like dealing with a name and phone number that I know, even though we've never met in person (I have met one person at the agency). Honestly, I'd never book thru Orbitz or Expedia, but that's probably just me.

Book now vs. wait...can you get a handle on how much availability there might be on the ship? Have the prices of the cruise increased since you've been watching it? If you do a fake reservation on line, are you seeing the ability to choose multiple cabins in each category? Are most categories available to purchase? Are military or FL resident rates available on your dates (these can fill a ship quickly in some cases).

MOST of the time, the *GT specials do not come out till the penalty period starts. This is 74 days before most cruises departing from US ports.

I don't think anyone can tell you what is best. If you wait, you risk no specials being available and the price increasing. If you book now, you risk missing out on a great bargain by waiting.

My best guess--early May is probably a good bet for specials as most schools aren't out, etc. Late may less so--schools start getting out and the Magic will be departing for Europe (DCL will have fewer US spots to fill! and more people available to cruise). But again, just a guess.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
DenyingReality
Earning My Ears

What would you think about mid-May? Would the Fantasy be busy as late may? No prices have changed since I started watching almost a year ago. I figure it's hit and miss whether prices lower after the pay in full date but I'm planning on waiting anyway, just wondering what someone else thinks.
DenyingReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

With Disney Cruise Line the prices go up as the ship books so you are better making your reservations now.

There is no difference in the price you'll pay for a DCL cruise sine they require all TA's to sell for the same price. They potential difference is that many TA's will offer you an onboard credit if you book through them.

Dreams Unlimited is the sponsor of this section of the DIS Boards, and their owners are also the people who bring you the entire DIS Board site. We like to support them with our business and have been very happy with their service.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenyingReality View Post
What would you think about mid-May? Would the Fantasy be busy as late may? No prices have changed since I started watching almost a year ago. I figure it's hit and miss whether prices lower after the pay in full date but I'm planning on waiting anyway, just wondering what someone else thinks.
OK, the fact that prices have not increased since you started watching them a year ago is a good sign that the ship is not filling as fast as DCL would like. That's a good sign that there MIGHT be special rates available.

The Magic departs for Barcelona on May 18....so prior to that, DCL has lots of ships cruising the Caribbean and Bahamas.

I'd probably wait based on what you are telling me. The only problem is that you don't have any way of knowing what sort of specials they might offer. They could offer a FL resident rate or military rate that you might not be able to take advantage of....or they might offer a *GT rate that anyone can book. There is just no way to know.

Waiting means taking a chance, but there can be big rewards. Based on recent rates (Jan/Feb/March), there are good specials available. Good luck.....

I would suggest that you start talking to a TA NOW--they can help you check for any specials and notify you if they become available.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Use expedia to keep an eye on how busy the ship is. If you see lots of cabins available, then I would wait for *GT rates to come out.

In the mean time, look into travel insurance and on using a TA.

Note the following with regards to *GT rates:

* OGT rates are hard to come by and IGT even more, since there's much less inside and oceanview rooms than verandahs. I've noticed at times for example, that the difference between IGT to OGT was negligible, but from OGT to VGT was significant. On my last August cruise, this was the case, and we opted for OGT and were upgraded to a verandah.

*GT rates are almost never given when you need 5 in a room.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

I would book now, without a travel agent and watch daily for the prices to drop. You can always call directly and accept the new rates on to your existing reservation. I do not use a travel agent for my bookings unless I am getting a really really good rate through them. I log onto my reservation several times a day and when I see the price drop, I call and accept the new rate. The last time I used a TA, the rate dropped a day before my cruise and a balcony cabin became available. By the time my TA called back, the cabin was gone and so was the discounted rate. Never again!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
pookybean
Mouseketeer

i am so confused with the *G (s)!

i am now debating on waiting and doing a 7 day rather than the 4! i guess i am too indecisive!

i am not going to be able to check the site every day for a discount because i am going to be crazy busy finishing my degree these next few months.

i think im just going to wait to book and then make a decision, although ill have to keep an eye on airfare too! this seems like so much work! lol

so after i book and even pay it in full if there is a discounted fare can i get a refund for the difference or is that only in play when the trip has not been paid in full?

me, ds 17, dd12, dd4
pookybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

*GT rates come out AFTER the pay-in-full date. Also, they are only available on new reservations only, so you would have to cancel with a penalty and rebook. Because of this, if your previous res was one done on board, you would loose the on board booking discount and OBC. The only thing you can still get with these rates is whatever a TA would give you and the $50 Disney Visa rewards OBC.

Of course, there's no guarantee that the *GT rates would become available. If the cruise is within a few months away, still shows opening day prices, and has plenty of availability, then chances are good the *GT rates would come out.

This rates come out last minute to fill the ship. They are only good for those who can plan it at the last minute, or those who decide on moving a future trip sooner. I did this last year. Initially we were booked for Nov. But then saw OGT rates for a week that was great for us in August, so pulled the trigger. And got upgraded to a verandah on the back of the ship to top it off...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: