Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #2431
mrsgryphon
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
It sounds like you picked some great patterns. CarlaC's patterns are easy to follow and we all enjoy sewing them. The Simply Sweet is the most versatile dress pattern. I have shortened it and used it as a top over easy fit shorts.

It does sound like you are on the way to joining our fabric buying obsession. Today I went into Hancocks to buy a couple of solid colored knit fabrics. I found 4 other fabrics on the clearance aisle that I just HAD to have! Of course, I haven't brought them inside yet because I am not sure where I am going to put them.

Here are some pictures of the Jaden t-shorts.
I think my first simply sweet will be a top to go with a scallopini skirt for middle DD in minnie dot. I'm looking forward to trying the patterns out.

I completely understand about the clearance fabric - after all, it's a great price and they may not be there later if you need them!

I love the shorts! That's such a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
Welcome! I am sure that your family will have a wonderful trip and make lots of special memories. Please post pictures of the outfits/other items you make!

You made excellent choices on the patterns. I have done the bowling shirts a number of times and the A-line a few times. I have never made a Simply Sweet (even though I have the pattern from the same bundle pack you bought) but lots of people have made beautiful outfits with that pattern (somehow I tend to go with the Stripwork Jumper which is a similar pattern). I can't wait to see what you make!
Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad I saw the bowling shirts on here. It's hard to find something for a 10 year old boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
First of all, WELCOME!! I am pretty new here myself, but these DISboutiquers really make everyone feel so welcome and really a part of the "family". You'll get lots of help, encouragement and inspiration, believe me!

Oh, a trip to Disney World after 20 years will be magical!! Make sure you get familiar with the parks as they are now so you don't waste precious time trying to figure out how to get where. That's the biggest thing, to me anyway, that makes a trip go more smoothly.

Can't wait to see some things you make. Have fun planning your trip and sewing.
I've definitely gotten a lot of inspiration so far! I'm looking forward to hanging around.

I've been doing a lot of research on-line & books for this trip. The last time was with my parents, so I don't think I was really involved in all the planning. I'm not sure how they did it with no internet.

DD11, DS9, DD7, DD2

mrsgryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #2432
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
Just a quick "hi" as Judy let me know I was missed over here (thank you for asking about me Diane).

I have been soooo busy doing crap and have not had time to sew or embroider a thing other than bookmarks I made for my dd's classmates for Christmas.
Sorry that things have been so busy for you. We miss you popping in over here so stop by even if you haven't been sewing. I hope things slow down for you a bit now that the holidays are over.

Quote:

Uh Oh, did someone go off the wagon??

I love every single one of these! Great idea and even better execution! Thanks for sharing.
I definitely fell off the wagon! I'm going to have to start hiding my fabric from my husband.

The shorts were super easy to make. I'm hoping to go back this week and buy some more t-shirts to make some shorts for my other nephew. Both of my nephews have special needs. One is 8 and the other is almost 8 but they are both still in diapers. If I make them their short or pants, I can make a larger size so that the diapers fit under them but I can adjust the waist so that the pants/shorts stay up. Our Salvation Army store does 1/2 price on all clothing on Wednesdays. If I go in then I can pick up decent t-shirts for 99 cents. Next time I will look for adult t-shirts instead of kids shirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgryphon View Post
I think my first simply sweet will be a top to go with a scallopini skirt for middle DD in minnie dot. I'm looking forward to trying the patterns out.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad I saw the bowling shirts on here. It's hard to find something for a 10 year old boy.
The Simply Sweet top with the scallopini skirt sounds cute! Can't wait to see it.

Does the bowling shirt pattern go up to a large enough size for your 10 year old son?

Here are a couple of things that I finished today. I am not thrilled with my Tinkerbell upcycle. I wanted to do cap sleeves on it with the polka dot fabric but I ran out. It doesn't look like it in the picture, but it is one of those dresses with the skirt that is shorter in the front and longer in the back.

And then I made another Sandpiper dress, which is an Ellie Inspired pattern. I made 4 or 5 of them last year and my niece just loved them. I had to enlarge the pattern though because it stops at size 5. I hope that this fits her ok.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #2433
mrsgryphon
Earning My Ears

Quote:
The Simply Sweet top with the scallopini skirt sounds cute! Can't wait to see it.

Does the bowling shirt pattern go up to a large enough size for your 10 year old son?

made another Sandpiper dress, which is an Ellie Inspired pattern.
My son is rather small. His chest is actually the 5/6 size! And he's shorter than average, but not as short as a 6 year old. His waist is a problem too, since pants that fit there are too short for him.

The sandpiper dress looks so comfy. I could see my DDs living in those in the summer.

DD11, DS9, DD7, DD2

Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #2434
mrsgryphon
Earning My Ears

It looks like I need a few more posts so I can post a picture. I was going to ask for advice for my oldest DD for this trip. She's almost 12, but I'd say she's young for her age. I don't want to make anything that's too babyish though. She often chooses to wear skirts and dresses. Everything from comfy Lands End or Hanna play dresses to fancy, glittery dresses.

So far I was planning a peasant top of minnie dot. I saw one for an 11 year old way back in part 19 by jham and really liked the look.

I have some tink fabric and wanted to do a skirt, but can't decide what pattern/type of pattern to use. I was going to show which fabric, but that will have to wait. It's blue background with bellflowers & tink in kind of scrolly frames. My description is sorely lacking, I know. Anyway, the pattern on the fabric is pretty large, so I was thinking that I don't want anything too gathered since it would hide the design too much. Any great suggestions?

DD11, DS9, DD7, DD2

Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #2435
strega7
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to share what I did today, my friend is going to WDW in a couple of weeks and saw a saying she like on a shirt on etsy and asked it I could stitch one out for her. Here is my first attempt at putting a design on a shirt, I think it turned out pretty cute! I added a mickey head to the sleeve for the fun of it.

strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #2436
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by strega7 View Post
Just wanted to share what I did today, my friend is going to WDW in a couple of weeks and saw a saying she like on a shirt on etsy and asked it I could stitch one out for her. Here is my first attempt at putting a design on a shirt, I think it turned out pretty cute! I added a mickey head to the sleeve for the fun of it.

I like it and it's so true.....

Last edited by pyrxtc; 01-13-2013 at 10:09 AM.
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #2437
babynala
DIS Veteran

Wow, I am so far behind and I don't think I have posted since before Christmas. I have enjoyed looking at everyone's creations. So many cute Christmas items and gifts. That Wizard of Oz dress is AMAZING.

Diane - you have been busy as usual and everything is so cute. The shorts you made were perfect for boys and they look so comfortable.

Amber - I didn't realize Savannah's trip was coming up so soon. Can't wait to see the cute stuff your kids will be wearing at Disney.

I am headed to DW in about 2 weeks with my brother and his family. My kids are staying home with their dad but I am tagging along with my brother and my parents so I can join in on the Disney fun. It will be their first trip to WDW and I have been busy trying to make some things for their trip. Lots to do and of course I procrastinated on getting started.

I hope I can do better with keeping up here. I will try to post some pictures when I actually finish an outfit!

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #2438
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I need to get some ric rac and I know someone posted that codwholesale had good prices but I didn't buy any and now they only have 3 colors left. Any other place that has good prices?
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013

Last edited by squirrel; 01-13-2013 at 02:02 PM.
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #2439
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here are a couple of things that I finished today. I am not thrilled with my Tinkerbell upcycle. I wanted to do cap sleeves on it with the polka dot fabric but I ran out. It doesn't look like it in the picture, but it is one of those dresses with the skirt that is shorter in the front and longer in the back.

And then I made another Sandpiper dress, which is an Ellie Inspired pattern. I made 4 or 5 of them last year and my niece just loved them. I had to enlarge the pattern though because it stops at size 5. I hope that this fits her ok.
I love both of them, but the second one is my favorite I think. Great job as usual. You really do get a lot done. I haven't been down to my sewing room since the first week of January. Hope to get down there tomorrow.

Quote:

She'll love it! Great saying too!

Quote:
It looks like I need a few more posts so I can post a picture. I was going to ask for advice for my oldest DD for this trip. She's almost 12, but I'd say she's young for her age. I don't want to make anything that's too babyish though. She often chooses to wear skirts and dresses. Everything from comfy Lands End or Hanna play dresses to fancy, glittery dresses.

So far I was planning a peasant top of minnie dot. I saw one for an 11 year old way back in part 19 by jham and really liked the look.

I have some tink fabric and wanted to do a skirt, but can't decide what pattern/type of pattern to use. I was going to show which fabric, but that will have to wait. It's blue background with bellflowers & tink in kind of scrolly frames. My description is sorely lacking, I know. Anyway, the pattern on the fabric is pretty large, so I was thinking that I don't want anything too gathered since it would hide the design too much. Any great suggestions?
Here are a couple of links for skirt tutorials that I've made or plan to make. Maybe one of them would work for your Tink fabric.

http://www.danamadeit.com/2008/07/tu...ple-skirt.html
http://www.danamadeit.com/2012/03/tu...red-skirt.html
http://likeflowersandbutterflies.blo...-tutorial.html

The ruffle one may be too young for her taste, but I thought you could play with it to make it less cutsie, like making just a couple of layers that would be longer.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #2440
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
Just a quick "hi" as Judy let me know I was missed over here (thank you for asking about me Diane).

I have been soooo busy doing crap and have not had time to sew or embroider a thing other than bookmarks I made for my dd's classmates for Christmas. I did clean my sewing space fairly decently last weekend though hoping to get in there this week, but time hasn't been on my side.

I promise if I get in there anytime soon I will post what I make, but I doubt I will be an active participant over here anytime this month. Hopefully Feb will take a turn for the better and I'll have more time.

I took a really quick skim at a few things and saw an AWESOME patchwork twirl dress and Wizard of Oz creation -- I may have to carve out some time today or tomorrow to go back and look at things.

I hope all are doing well
I am glad that you came here and let us know that you are doing ok but busy. We certainly missed you when you are not around. I hope things will settle down for you (and the house on RI will sell) so you can post here more often.

Quote:

I've definitely gotten a lot of inspiration so far! I'm looking forward to hanging around.

I've been doing a lot of research on-line & books for this trip. The last time was with my parents, so I don't think I was really involved in all the planning. I'm not sure how they did it with no internet.
I think the outfit you planned will look lovely. In addition to the bowling shirt, the Easy Fit shorts/pants are also good for boys. I know a number of people have made modifications to make them look less "PJ-like." I think Marianne added cargo pockets to the shorts and they looked quite nice. I have to agree with your statement about planning without internet. I remember going to Tokyo Disneyland with my parents for a day and we didn't even plan at all! I think we just bought tickets at the gate, picked up a map and started exploring. It was pretty funny as we didn't speak Japanese so I didn't understand the cast members. I remember Space Mountain, but that was because they had English signs with the warning so I was concerned about how scary the ride would be! (That was my first ever Disney park experience, so I had no comparisons to other attractions)

Quote:
The shorts were super easy to make. I'm hoping to go back this week and buy some more t-shirts to make some shorts for my other nephew. Both of my nephews have special needs. One is 8 and the other is almost 8 but they are both still in diapers. If I make them their short or pants, I can make a larger size so that the diapers fit under them but I can adjust the waist so that the pants/shorts stay up. Our Salvation Army store does 1/2 price on all clothing on Wednesdays. If I go in then I can pick up decent t-shirts for 99 cents. Next time I will look for adult t-shirts instead of kids shirts.

I am glad that you can make shorts for your nephews. I used to work in peds rehab and we saw a lot of older kids who required diapers. The parents used to complain to me how hard it was for them to find pants for their kids. The shorts you did would be great for other parents with kids in that situation!

I am sorry to hear the Tink outfit didn't work out the way you planned. It looked nice to me. The Sandpiper dress looks nice too. I hope it will fit your niece well.

Quote:

I think I have the fabric you described. I wonder if an A-line skirt will be good for someone her age. I have done skorts with an A-line skirt for myself in the past and they would be good for an older girl too.

Quote:

Great job on the shirt. May I have your permission to CASE it please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
Wow, I am so far behind and I don't think I have posted since before Christmas. I have enjoyed looking at everyone's creations. So many cute Christmas items and gifts. That Wizard of Oz dress is AMAZING.

Diane - you have been busy as usual and everything is so cute. The shorts you made were perfect for boys and they look so comfortable.

Amber - I didn't realize Savannah's trip was coming up so soon. Can't wait to see the cute stuff your kids will be wearing at Disney.

I am headed to DW in about 2 weeks with my brother and his family. My kids are staying home with their dad but I am tagging along with my brother and my parents so I can join in on the Disney fun. It will be their first trip to WDW and I have been busy trying to make some things for their trip. Lots to do and of course I procrastinated on getting started.

I hope I can do better with keeping up here. I will try to post some pictures when I actually finish an outfit!
Welcome back! How exciting to be a part of your brother's family's first trip! I hope everyone will have a great trip.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #2441
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Both dresses are very pretty and look really comfortable.

Quote:

I love the t-shirt!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #2442
mrsgryphon
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Here are a couple of links for skirt tutorials that I've made or plan to make. Maybe one of them would work for your Tink fabric.

The ruffle one may be too young for her taste, but I thought you could play with it to make it less cutsie, like making just a couple of layers that would be longer.
Thanks for the links. I think the simple skirt is a definite possibility for the tink fabric. I like the others too, so they've been saved for future projects. I also found the wrap skirt from patchwork kids on YCMT that I really like. I'm just not sure if I should purchase another pattern right now.

DD11, DS9, DD7, DD2

Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #2443
mrsgryphon
Earning My Ears

Quote:
That's a great saying and I love the Mickey head added touch.

DD11, DS9, DD7, DD2

Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #2444
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My son is rather small. His chest is actually the 5/6 size! And he's shorter than average, but not as short as a 6 year old. His waist is a problem too, since pants that fit there are too short for him.
It sounds like the bowling shirt will work great then. You might need to make it a little longer though.

Quote:

So cute and I love the little Mickey head on the sleeve. That's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
Wow, how did you get your kids to stay home while you get to go to Disney???? My kids would be about to explode if I did that! Have a great time!

Quote:
I think the outfit you planned will look lovely. In addition to the bowling shirt, the Easy Fit shorts/pants are also good for boys. I know a number of people have made modifications to make them look less "PJ-like."
Yes definitely adding pockets to the shorts makes them more like daytime clothing and less like pjs. Here are a couple of pictures of the easy fit shorts with added pockets:

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #2445
mrsgryphon
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I think the outfit you planned will look lovely. In addition to the bowling shirt, the Easy Fit shorts/pants are also good for boys. I know a number of people have made modifications to make them look less "PJ-like." I think Marianne added cargo pockets to the shorts and they looked quite nice. I have to agree with your statement about planning without internet. I remember going to Tokyo Disneyland with my parents for a day and we didn't even plan at all! I think we just bought tickets at the gate, picked up a map and started exploring. It was pretty funny as we didn't speak Japanese so I didn't understand the cast members. I remember Space Mountain, but that was because they had English signs with the warning so I was concerned about how scary the ride would be! (That was my first ever Disney park experience, so I had no comparisons to other attractions)

I think I have the fabric you described. I wonder if an A-line skirt will be good for someone her age. I have done skorts with an A-line skirt for myself in the past and they would be good for an older girl too.
Wow! What an experience to have at Tokyo Disneyland. I can't imagine doing it without knowing the language.

I think you're right, an a-line would be perfect for that fabric. I started searching and it looks like I should be able to find a free pattern too, which will be good.

DD11, DS9, DD7, DD2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: