Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Maple17
Mouseketeer

Transferring reservation to TA

We are cruising on the Fantasy in Feb and I want to book a dummy date on board. If I don't list a TA at that time can I transfer the reservation to a TA later. I'd like to keep control of the booking until we decide which cruise will be will be on.

Most importantly, will we still get the full onboard credit from the agency? This is the only reason I would use a TA.
Maple17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

What you will get from the TA will depend on the agency policies. If you transfer a reservation, the agency gets a BIG cut in their commission (based on what they get if they do the booking or you name them at the time of the booking). To compensate for this, some agencies offer a lower OBC or perk when you transfer. Other agencies offer their same "base" OBC in hopes of gaining your future business based on their great service.

Yes, you can transfer an onboard booking to any TA who agrees to accept it. It has never made sense to me that some TAs don't take transfers--seems that a partial commission is better than none!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Stephandy03
Mouseketeer

This explains why our travel agent told us it was better to just use a new reservation rather than transfer. Better for her, that is. We were a little annoyed because our original reservation had main dining. When the TA booked, we ended up with late dining. Don't think we will be using this TA in the future.
WDW 3/2010 - Windsor Hills, Disneyland 3/2012, Disney Magic 2/5/2013 Galveston to Cozumel, Disney Wonder 12/31/2013 NYE Cruise Galveston to Cozumel, WDW 11/2014 All-Star Movies ~ Disney Dream 11/24/2014 Thanksgiving Cruise Bahamas

Stephandy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

You need to shop around. Under $3K cruises are giving about $75-$100 in OBC by a TA and probably less if you transfer. Last two times, I've used AAA. But I transferred the res during their disney week, when they were advertising gift cards. That and combined with their photo package, was much better than with other TAs OBC... And I still kept full control of the reservation up to the moment it was transferred to AAA.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

What a TA offers depends....some base an OBC on type of cabin and length of cruise while others use the specific price paid. You do need to know what you are going to get before you make a decision to transfer or not.

AAA typically has an offer each year--photo package, coupon package, etc. Honestly, I'd rather just have OBC. A coupon book is only good if I use those things the coupons are for! With OBC, I can get whatever I want. One of the best OBCs I've seen is from Costco--they give a gift card based on the price of the cruise and don't adjust for transfers vs. new bookings. If you are a Costco shopper, this can be great; if not, there is no reason to use them that I know of.

DO consider both the service aspects of an agency or agent as well as the amount of OBC or other perk. As in the above example, an agent who is not working in the client's best interest, whether out of ignorance or greed, can really mess up a reservation.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

Dreams Unlimited Travel has great OBC offers based on the price of the cruise. I have used them many times and have been very happy. Also, if you have a Disney Visa and use that card for your deposit and all of your payments, they also offer an OBC. I would think you could name a TA after booking.
eemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

OP is asking about an onboard booking. A Disney Visa credit cannot be combined with an onboard rebooking credit.

You are correct that anyone making a new reservation on land can use a Disney Visa and get that credit as well as using on line booking and getting that credit. A TA who knows what they are doing can use the on line system also to get the max credit for their clients.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Maple17
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
What a TA offers depends....some base an OBC on type of cabin and length of cruise while others use the specific price paid. You do need to know what you are going to get before you make a decision to transfer or not.

AAA typically has an offer each year--photo package, coupon package, etc. Honestly, I'd rather just have OBC. A coupon book is only good if I use those things the coupons are for! With OBC, I can get whatever I want. One of the best OBCs I've seen is from Costco--they give a gift card based on the price of the cruise and don't adjust for transfers vs. new bookings. If you are a Costco shopper, this can be great; if not, there is no reason to use them that I know of.

DO consider both the service aspects of an agency or agent as well as the amount of OBC or other perk. As in the above example, an agent who is not working in the client's best interest, whether out of ignorance or greed, can really mess up a reservation.
Thank-you, this is very helpful. My first choice would be Costco as we shop there all the time but we are from Canada and I don't think we can book through them.

I will give this some thought, sounds like it may be a bit easier to just name a TA at the time of booking.

We have taken two DCL cruises and have received nothing for onboard credit from our current TA so anything is better than nothing! Thanks for your insight everyone!
Maple17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: