Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #76
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitkaFan View Post
Wow... Here come the crazies...
That is very helpful and informative. Your post has really raised the bar and will require more educated posts on this thread by all members. If you treat the people around you IRL with this much respect your cup must really runneth over!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #77
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugov2 View Post
I know this is hot button, but here is my perspective. The year my dd was old enough to get the flu shot there was a shortage. She wasn't high risk and could not get it. I was worried and my Dr. said Do not worry. She does not have a compromised immune system, she has no underlying conditions. She will be fine. This statement and my own views about not all vaccines being necessary has led me to not do this one. I've never had it either and so far no flu(over 8 years). Do I know it is 50/50 on if we get it...yes, but I'll take my chances. I agree with pp about our bodies building up immunity the natural way. I will be honest the more I see/read the more I don't really trust the crap in shots. I also do not trust big pharma to be truthful. They rushed H1N1 so fast it is like Russian Roulette...what the hell will be the side effects? Who knows. Look at Chicken Pox. Perfectly fine illiness to get for most people, but now there is a vaccine...why? If you had it at a young age no problem. Now lets vaccinate all kids...what happens kids are getting shingles!! A disease typically seen only in older people. A disease extremely painful and much worse to have than the chicken pox. Plus once you have shingles it is dormant in your body and any time you get sick it can resurface. Is this what you want your 8 year old getting? I mean fine if the vaccine was for 12and older b/c the older you get the more dangerous chicken pox is, but why vaccinate small children...I'll tell you why. More people get the shot and pharma makes more money. If you really believe all vaccines are for the greater good and not for profit, you should look a little closer.

Don't get me wrong I do vaccinate, but against illnesses that are dangerous. Sadly I did vaccinate my dd against chicken pox, but that was before I knew so many with small children infected with shingles...and it isn't just one or two. I will not vaccinate my younger boys until they are older and yes they can get it when they are older. But don't worry kids will be getting shingles vaccines soon...because why not keep pumping our bodies full of man made chemicals to fight off germs and then the germs will mutate to much more severe disease and so on and so forth. Again, vaccines do have their merit, but so does the body building up it's own defenses by fighting off an illness. Too much of a good thing is not so good and I think that is the path we are heading down with all these vaccines. Just my two cents, but feel free to give them back if you don't agree I certainly don't think badly on people who do just as I think those who decide not to get it shouldn't be brow beaten either. We all make decisions in the best interest of our families with what we know. No person is doing anything because they are selfish and think the world revolves around them.
You need to educate yourself. Chicken pox killed children when I was young. Once you have had chicken pox you can get shingles. It is more common to get shingles as you get older but anybody who has had the chicken pox can get the shingles and some even get it more than once.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #78
Interrobang
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76

You need to educate yourself. Chicken pox killed children when I was young. Once you have had chicken pox you can get shingles. It is more common to get shingles as you get older but anybody who has had the chicken pox can get the shingles and some even get it more than once.
I had shingles back in the 80s when I was 10, and there was no chicken pox vaccine to blame. Actually, the doctors said I got it because I had such a mild case of the chicken pox. The vaccine would have provided me with more protection, not less. Kids have always gotten shingles. Yes, it's more common for older people, but it's not some shocking proof of a vast medical conspiracy.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #79
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
That's what we need, private industry stepping into the role of tyranny and forcing people to trust the CDC. And why stop with cruise lines....airplanes, trains, subways, malls, schools....
While I don't agree with the idea of DCL making such a rule, it would be neither tyrannical nor forcing people to trust the CDC. It is simply that masks do help reduce the spread of airborne viruses. The non-hospital/military grade ones aren't very effective but some help is better than no help. In the event of a massive outbreak or epidemic, all of those systems would be likely to mandate either the use of masks or staying the heck home. If the virus has no one else to travel to, it will eventually fade out.

Quote:
It's amazing how quickly some people will cede their liberty because the government has instilled fear in them!
No private enterprise is required to protect your liberties. They are free to do as they choose so long as they don't discriminate against someone based on a protected class.

Quote:
I believe getting the non-replicating flu vaccine virus every year adversely effects our body's ability to fight real viruses.
A vaccine against a specific virus should not adversely affect the immune system's ability to handle non-related viruses.

Quote:
Think bout this, why is the vaccine only 60% effective? Might it be that they really don't know what are doing? Certainly they do not completely understand our immune systems.
Or maybe it's because the virus mutates fairly frequently, thus the vaccine is no longer effective against the new strain? Or maybe it's because some people's immune systems, regardless of receiving the vaccine, are so compromised that they still get the flu?

Last edited by DynamicDisneyDuo; 01-12-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #80
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Look at Chicken Pox. Perfectly fine illiness to get for most people, but now there is a vaccine...why? If you had it at a young age no problem. Now lets vaccinate all kids...what happens kids are getting shingles!!
The vaccine doesn't cause shingles, it prevents it. You're at risk for shingles after you have had chicken pox.

Last edited by Bonniec; 01-12-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #81
smile750
Mouseketeer

Quote:
That's what we need, private industry stepping into the role of tyranny and forcing people to trust the CDC. And why stop with cruise lines....airplanes, trains, subways, malls, schools....

It's amazing how quickly some people will cede their liberty because the government has instilled fear in them!
People with ideas like yours instill fear in me. Maybe you should try living in a third world country where many governments don't help their people at all especially "forcing them" to get vaccines. Heck, they don't provide much of anything in some places. That way you can live the way you want and not be subject to anybody forcing anything on you. You can also forget roads, bridges, schools - those things that the government built for us - just mozy yourself up and down the dirt roads and go find some food in a river somewhere. How do people get like you - I just don't get it.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #82
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
I am completely educated...100-150 people died a year and of those 50 are children...again nothing further about immune system, how long they were infected before seeking treatment. Again, very small when you put that number against the entire population of the U.S.( I think it is 99.9% of people survived it)

Not only has shingles cases increased in children since the use of the Chicken Pox vaccine, but also in older people...here is info from a CDC study:

A study by the CDC and other scientists confirmed that since 1993, the incidence of shingles has nearly doubled in the adult U.S. population. One explanation for the increase has to do with the universal vaccination of children against chickenpox. According to this theory, because most children no longer get chickenpox disease (which used to be a ritual of childhood), their parents no longer get the immunological “boost” that comes from being exposed to the virus while caring for sick children.

So basically the vaccine is decreasing the chance an adult care for or comes in contact with a child with cp and do not get the natural boost from being exposed and now are more likely to get shingles.

Also getting the vaccine isn't as good as getting cp, that is why you need a booster. It wears off after a time and you need more.

But like I said before don't worry their is a vaccination for that. Again, there is info. out there to contradict that, so you have to take it with a grain of salt and do your own research to reach your own conclusions.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #83
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicDisneyDuo

It is simply that masks do help reduce the spread of airborne viruses.
The flu is not an airborne virus and a mask would do nothing to prevent someone else from getting it. The flu is from contact, from touching the same surfaces. Why don't we all just walk around with cans of Lysol.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #84
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarsh View Post
The flu is not an airborne virus and a mask would do nothing to prevent someone else from getting it. The flu is from contact, from touching the same surfaces. Why don't we all just walk around with cans of Lysol.
It helps against the droplets when someone coughs or sneezes.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #85
WebmasterKathy

Not Podcast Kathy, I'm the other one
Bring on the tequila and chocolates!

DISboards Administrator

Since we've veered far from anything cruise related, I'm ending this thread now. Stay healthy!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: