Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Back to Back Cruises? Advantages?

I see alot of talk about people doing back to back cruises. I'm jealous...LOL

Anyway, I am trying to understand why people book B2B cruises instead of a 7 day cruise. Is there some kind of advantage to the B2B cruise that I'm missing?
maybe 2 stops at CC?

We are heading on our second DC in August back on the Dream!

I would love to do the Panama cruise or an Alaskan cruise one day
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

there are a couple of advantages that I can tell you. others will probably give more.
one is, as you mentioned, two stops at cc. a second is that you get credit for two cruises which moves you up the ladder for the castaway club quicker.
we are taking a b2b in October but it is on the fantasy and the ports on each cruise are different. I would love to say that's why were doing it but if I am to be truthful, its because I want a two week dcl vaca. simple.....lol.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

When we did it on the Wonder, it was that we couldn't get to Florida for a Sat departure...we could get there for Sunday.

Our other B2B were not 4/3 nights. They were things like trans-Atlantic + Med, so totally different cruises.

4/3 vs. 7 nights--I'd do 7 nights if I had a choice. If you are madly in love with Castaway Cay, that's an advantage. But the downside is repeat menus, repeat shows, and the transition day....not nice.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
there are a couple of advantages that I can tell you. others will probably give more.
one is, as you mentioned, two stops at cc. a second is that you get credit for two cruises which moves you up the ladder for the castaway club quicker.
we are taking a b2b in October but it is on the fantasy and the ports on each cruise are different. I would love to say that's why were doing it but if I am to be truthful, its because I want a two week dcl vaca. simple.....lol.
Moving up the Castaway Club ladder is why I'm sending my wife on B2B cruises. I found the two cheapest B2B cruises I could: a four night Bahamian followed by a 5 night Carribean on the Disney Wonder out of Miami. She gets two different itineraries, nine nights, and she bumps up to Platinum. Her Platinum status gets our whole room earlier reservations for port excursions, spa, and Palo. And we get free dinner at Palo Clearly, platinum status does not pay for itself, but if getting it requires nine days on the Wonder, my wife is willing to do the work. Also, by doing them B2B, we advance her status while only paying for one roundtrip airline ticket.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
Anyway, I am trying to understand why people book B2B cruises instead of a 7 day cruise.
Not every b2b is two short cruises. We've done about 6 b2b's and only was was 2 short cruises and that was because it was the Dream inaugural and the second cruise. We're booked on b2b to do the Pacific Coast and Alaska this May and thinking about adding on the Panama Canal to make it a b2b2b.

But doing b2b on the shorter cruise can happen for a variety of reasons and yes, one of them is to have 2 stops at CC. Another is schedule -- may not be able to leave on a Saturday to catch the Fantasy for a 7 night cruise. Another may be price -- sometimes, not always, you can save a little money doing the 3/4 vs 7 but for me the price savings isn't worth everything you are missing. And another is as one poster said -- to build up Castaway Club status, although I don't ever really believe that is worth it and it is getting worth less and less every cruise.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

We're doing a b2b in Feb because we wanted to be onboard for longer than just 4 or 5 days, and wanted to sail on the Wonder again. The only way to accommodate those points within our time frame was to do a b2b.
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
reagansmom
Mouseketeer

We are doing a B2B because of the departure day. I am running the Princess Half and will cross the finish line, jump in the car and hop on the ship.
reagansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes

We're doing B2B Med cruises this summer, a 7 night followed by a 12 night. We did it this way for a few reasons. First, we did the Med in 2007 and felt like we were rushed trying to fit in everything we wanted to see in one day. Our older kids were 3yo and 11 months and keeping them out on 11-12 hour days was exhausting for us and them. Because of our schedule, we did a 10 night, which really had no break, just one long port day after another. So when we saw these itineraries this year, we figured if we booked 2 of them then we could break up the excursions in ports so that we weren't out 12 hours everyday. Another thing is that we didn't want to just add on a week or so on land because we have 3 small kids and the logistics of packing, repacking, driving/taking trains/planes, getting 2 hotel rooms, etc. And lastly, we're coming from Arizona, so long travel time. If we're going all the way out there, we may as well maximize our time cause it will be a long time before we go back.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
noahsmom
2002 - Poly & Wonder; 2004 - Poly & Wonder; 2006 - AKL & Magic; 2007 - SSR & Wonder; 2008 SSR only; 2009 Kidani, SSR & Magic to Tortola; 2010 Double dip Wonder & WDW road trip

We did our 1st b2b last summer on Fantasy. It was to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and we wanted to do something special - 14 nights on that ship is very special. We are doing another b2b this summer on Dream for two reasons. First, after 14 nights on the Fantasy, 4 on the Dream would never be enough. Second, we are sailing with a family we met a few cruises ago. They were are table mates and we really enjoy their company. We sailed with them once since that first time and this summer they could only do a 4 night.

As previously mentioned, there's lots of reasons people do it. It's fun. I loved being on the ship for 14 nights, I would prefer to do a Panama canal or other repo cruise but DH is a teacher and those itineraries are during the school year so they aren't an option at this time.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

We are booked on a B2B next summer on the Dream. We booked for a cpl reasons.
*it was over $1000 more for the same rooms on the Fantasy for that week (too much for us!) And we wanted a longer cruise
* we've only sailed on the Wonder before and the repeat menus/shows on the 3 night (our 4nt is first) is something we are looking forward too. We won't feel bad skipping the MDR's to do Palo, Remy, room service and skip the shows to do things we always miss (adult only bars, pools, spa stuff).

DL: 1985, 1988, 1994, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 (x2),2013 (x2) WDW: 2010 DCL: 2010, 2011, 2012 Aulani : 2013, 2014
mom2aidanNpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
COASTIEandMATE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomy-san View Post
We're doing a b2b in Feb because we wanted to be onboard for longer than just 4 or 5 days, and wanted to sail on the Wonder again. The only way to accommodate those points within our time frame was to do a b2b.
Our first cruise was a 7 day B2B CA REPO and a 7 day ALASKA cruise. First because we live in Hawaii the airfare to Vancouver was so expensive that we decided to catch the Wonder in San Pedro and cruise up to Vancouver rather than to fly!! The second reason being that it was our first cruise ever, and everyone says that after your first cruise all you want to do is get right back on the ship... so we did!! And we had such a great time on the two Inaugural cruises that we are doing it again this year!!!ALOHA, Karen and Ron
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
stacecakes
loves acquiring info as much as fastpasses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagansmom View Post
We are doing a B2B because of the departure day. I am running the Princess Half and will cross the finish line, jump in the car and hop on the ship.
that's awesome. Did the wine and dine half and I don't know that I'd be able to "jump" or "hop" anywhere right afterwards. Though a few days on a cruise ship might be just the thing...
stacecakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: