Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
WendyLovesPeter
I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!

California coast cruise ....why so few sail dates

May be its a new destination or is it not popular? Looks wonderful!
WendyLovesPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

DCL did 4 California "Pixar" cruises last fall. As far as I know, after some special promotions and discounts, they did pretty well. The only other California coast cruise is a repositioning cruise for their Alaska cruises. It would be nice if they did more and included Seattle. I really enjoyed it.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyLovesPeter View Post
May be its a new destination or is it not popular? Looks wonderful!
Well, the "California Coastal" cruises for this year are really the LA-Vancouver repositioning cruises. Not the coastal cruises they did last year with the Pixar theme.

I'd like if they would do some coastal cruises, I'm hoping

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
WendyLovesPeter
I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!

I dont know the lingo. Do you mean they basically have to move the the boat back from a diff cruise so they turn it into a cruise?
I think it would be a great way to see some of the California attractions and enjoy the cruise experience.
WendyLovesPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyLovesPeter View Post
I dont know the lingo. Do you mean they basically have to move the the boat back from a diff cruise so they turn it into a cruise?
I think it would be a great way to see some of the California attractions and enjoy the cruise experience.
A repositioning cruise is a cruise that begins and ends in different ports. So the ship can do a different itinerary. The Panama Canal cruise is a repo cruise (PC to LA). The California Coastal cruise is a repo cruise (LA to Vancouver). Then the ship will sail Alaska for the summer. And then do the repo cruises in reverse to go back to Florida at the end of summer.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
novazx3
Earning My Ears

The Pixar characters were awesome, the ship was awesome. Ports of call not so good, rather boring. Two days in San Francisco, one day in San Diego and one day in Ensenada. Two days in freezing cold San Francisco were too many, one day in sunny San Diego not enough, and there was nothing to do in Ensenada, everyone stayed on the ship.
novazx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
YenSid1222
I spent my life hoping someday my dreams would set me free, but now I am learning the true reality, that I can wish, hope and dream but its never meant to be...unless I believe in me!

I absolutely LOVED having two days in San Francisco! Got to do lots of the local attractions I have wanted to see, it was like having a hotel right there in Fisherman's Wharf. San Diego was also a great stop, would have like more time to see some of the stuff there too. Ensenada is the only blah stop. I wish they would extend San Diego into a late night departure and only do half day in Ensenada. Anyway, I would do that cruise again in a heartbeat.
Disney Dream - 4 Nt Bahamas - October 2011 | Disney Wonder - 2 Nt Cruise to Nowhere - January 2011 | Disney Magic - 7 Night Repositioning Barcelona to Dover - June 5, 2010 | Disney Magic - Eastern May 9, 2009 | Disney Wonder - 3 Night Bahamas - December 11, 2008 | Disney Magic - 7 Night Eastern - April 14, 2007 | Disney Magic - 7 Night Western -February 10, 2007
YenSid1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YenSid1222 View Post
I absolutely LOVED having two days in San Francisco! Got to do lots of the local attractions I have wanted to see, it was like having a hotel right there in Fisherman's Wharf. San Diego was also a great stop, would have like more time to see some of the stuff there too. Ensenada is the only blah stop. I wish they would extend San Diego into a late night departure and only do half day in Ensenada. Anyway, I would do that cruise again in a heartbeat.
I agree. We loved having 2 days in San Francisco. We were on the last Pixar cruise and had absolutely perfect, beautiful weather the entire week! I too could have done without Ensenada (stupid maritme laws), but we treated it like another sea day.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

My mom and I were on one of the Pixar cruises. We had a great ti me. We really enjoyed the ports.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by novazx3 View Post
The Pixar characters were awesome, the ship was awesome. Ports of call not so good, rather boring. Two days in San Francisco, one day in San Diego and one day in Ensenada. Two days in freezing cold San Francisco were too many, one day in sunny San Diego not enough, and there was nothing to do in Ensenada, everyone stayed on the ship.
Compared to ports on caribbean cruises (other than Castaway Cay, of course!) the California ports are awesome! The repositioning cruise in May will stop in Victoria then ends in Vancouver -- much more interesting than Ensenada, that's for sure!

Mark Twain wrote that the coldest winter he ever spent was summer in San Francisco. We pack accordingly.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
COASTIEandMATE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YenSid1222 View Post
We loved the two days in San Francisco too!! It was so nice in May that I WENT SWIMMING in the adult pool! Had dinner at PALO with a view of the Golden Gate and it was gorgeous!! We are going again this year, ALOHA, Karen and Ron
Old 01-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
Started With a Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
A repositioning cruise is a cruise that begins and ends in different ports. So the ship can do a different itinerary. The Panama Canal cruise is a repo cruise (PC to LA). The California Coastal cruise is a repo cruise (LA to Vancouver). Then the ship will sail Alaska for the summer. And then do the repo cruises in reverse to go back to Florida at the end of summer.

The last Panama Canal cruise was LA to Miami, then it will be Miami to LA (which has some awesome rates now), then LA to Galveston.
Started With a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: