Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #586
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

You will get a bill for the amount due, on the bottom will be suggested tip amounts. If you want to charge the tip to your room, write in the amount, place your KTTW card inside the folder and give it to your server. They will deduct your meals from the dining plan and charge your room for the balance.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #587
dana278
Mouseketeer

I've never done the dining plan before, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question...

The dining plan brochure says to present your card upon ordering dessert, but I'd imagine you should at least tell your server you are on the plan before you order anything, right?

So then if you are presenting your card with dessert as the brochure says, will the server just take your card before even bringing you the check, or will they bring your check back for you to inspect first? Then when the check comes back with your card and the receipt to sign, if you want to leave a tip on the KTTW card can you just write in the amount and leave, or does your card need to be taken back and swiped again for the tip?

In the interest of saving time and that extra step, if your card has to be swiped again I'll definitely just plan for tips in cash. I never use a credit card in regular restaurants, partially because all of the waiting around for the server can take forever. The few times I used a card I'd always get the server who would take your card, and then proceed to go to another table and take their order (and of course that table would have picky people who asked a million questions) and go put their order into the computer before finally coming back with your credit card ten minutes later. Now only is that annoying, but I hate my card being out of my possession for so long. I love getting the bill, putting cash in, and having the freedom to leave.

Sorry about that rant at the end. LOL And thanks in advance!
dana278 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #588
mom2of2

The server will ask you when you sit down if you will be using a dining plan. At the end of your meal you will be presented with a check. If you want to charge the tip to your room, you will write in the amount of the tip. You then place your KTTW card in the check presenter and give it to your server. They will deduct your plan and charge the tip to your room all at the same time.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #589
dana278
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
The server will ask you when you sit down if you will be using a dining plan. At the end of your meal you will be presented with a check. If you want to charge the tip to your room, you will write in the amount of the tip. You then place your KTTW card in the check presenter and give it to your server. They will deduct your plan and charge the tip to your room all at the same time.
Great, thanks! That definitely seems easier than what I was picturing. Plus I'm glad I won't have to carry a bunch of cash around, too.
dana278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #590
partigus
Mouseketeer

personal tipping habbits

I understand this discussion is not to be part of this board. However, I ask why not, and more importantly is there a board this can be discussed on. I've got a great job and don't mid tipping. My wife and I both worked in hospitality in high school, college, and even as second jobs when we were first starting out. I enjoy tipping well for good service, it makes me feel good to "give back". That said, my first job was in a dinner theater owned by a famous actor (the star of such moves as Smokey and the Bandit and Deliverance) Back 30 years ago, it cost about 30bucks to see a show, but we expected people to not tip on 30, rather $15 for the meal, as $15 was the price of the show. Maybe because thats how I got paid i'm interested, but when I drop $120 for a character breakfast....I just can't compare that to a similar brunch at the 4 season for example....I want to be fair, and engage in a genuine conversation as I want to make sure I'm not "under tipping" yet it seems we can't have this discussion...why is that?
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #591
smidgy
dimples

discussions about personal tipping habits tend to turn ugly. many a thread has been closed on this subject on the trip planning boards, due to arguments.

you might have more luck over on the community board. but at the character meals or buffets (or any meals) you can tip whatever you like. unless you are a party of 6 or more. than 18% will be added to your bill.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #592
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for explaining, Smidgy. I couldn't have said it better.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #593
ness0905
Mouseketeer

I was wondering if all Disney TS can be paid with Disney gift card in parks and resorts?
I feel it would be a good way to have a food budget.
ness0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #594
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness0905 View Post
I was wondering if all Disney TS can be paid with Disney gift card in parks and resorts?
I feel it would be a good way to have a food budget.
Yes. If you are staying onsite, we found it easier to charge everything back to the room. At some point before midnight the day you check out, stop by the front desk and apply all gift cards to the balance. (midnight meaning the night before you check out)
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #595
ForeverWithStitch
Earning My Ears

Great info!
ForeverWithStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #596
sahoenshell1218
Mouseketeer

Paying tips

nevermind, question answered. thank you!

Last edited by sahoenshell1218; 01-16-2013 at 03:42 PM.
sahoenshell1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #597
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverWithStitch
Great info!
You can use a credit card
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #598
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

Not sure if I can ask this -- but as a general, we're going 9 days/8 nites on the DxDp and every meal will be a table service. Approximately how much cash should I bring with me just to be safe and have enough. We're only doing 2 signature dinings (CRT & LC) if that matters. TIA!!
ErinsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #599
mom2of2

Hard to give you an amount since I don't know how many in your party, adults or children and where you are dining.

Take a look at the menus and try to figure out what each person will order and then figure out the percentage that you want to tip. If you are a party of 6 or more it's 18%

Go to allearsnet.com for prices and menus
Old 01-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #600
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinsMommy View Post
Not sure if I can ask this -- but as a general, we're going 9 days/8 nites on the DxDp and every meal will be a table service. Approximately how much cash should I bring with me just to be safe and have enough. We're only doing 2 signature dinings (CRT & LC) if that matters. TIA!!
If it helps at all I just did 5 nights on the standard dining plan, and spent over $400 on tips, alcohol, and some extra snacks. That was for 4 people, and I didn't pay the tip at every meal either.

I'm guestimating you should bring at least $1000 with you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: