Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Wuzefelix
Thinks of himself as the #1 Disney fan...like everyone else on here ;).

Post Just back: Lows & Highs

Hi,

I'm just back from a 3 day / 2 night trip to DLRP and since I don't go there quite as often as I used to, this is an excellent opportunity to share my Highs & Lows. Except: I'm going to do it the other way around because all in all we had a fantastic trip, so the High's are what matters in the end .

Lows:

-Maintenance
Oh my god, after having been to all the Disney Parks in the world, it is just shocking to see in what a bad condition the entire Resort in Paris is. Many attractions were really dirty and in desperate need of a paint job. The special effects in many attractions were broken, there was moss growing on the speakers in Walt Disney Studios, broken lightbulbs everwhere, etc. This has been constantly getting worse in the last 10 years if you ask me...

-Hotel New York
Even with promotions such as 2=4, the value does not come close to justifying the prices. We had issues at check-in, a broken room lock, housekeeping not bringing new toiletries, etc. With the old-school television and the general wear and tear on all the furnishings and wallpaper, you can really see this hotel went 20 years without receiving a well needed facelift. I didn't let it spoil the trip though.

-Food
Incredibly slow service and high prices at the counter service restaurants are not new to us. The disappointment this time was that the selection at the buffet restaurants was reduced to a bare minimum. While I'm certain they did it only because of the low crowd levels this week, we still paid the same prices as usual, so we expected similar value.
Also, we were bummed that the Earl of Sandwich no longer offers the PB&J sandwich. When we asked about it, they said it wasn't popular enough among the French customers. What a shame, it used to be our favorite.

-Cast members
While nothing out of the ordinary happened, we were just reminded once again that most Parisian cast members don't come close to the level of service their colleagues provide in Hong Kong, Orlando, Anaheim or especially Tokyo.

-Sales
The 2nd Wednesday in January is the beginning of the big sales in France. DLRP is no exception. With the constant decline in merchandising quality, we didn't find anything nice though. They used to have many fine collectibles or high quality clothing. At least it saved us some cash .

Highs:

-Disney Dreams
After almost a year, Disney Dreams is still amazing. It is a little short on fireworks but we can easily look over this flaw, because it means we get to experience the nightly show even in the winter and on slow days. It is such a great finale to a fun day in the parks and I hope it stays with us for years to come!

-Character Interaction
The interaction my little niece got from Mickey Mouse at the Hotel New York was fabulous! It's probably because there were hardly any other guests.

-Crowds
There weren't any! Like always, weekdays in January were so slow you could hop on most rides without any waiting in line. Most rides were less than 5 Minutes except Crush Coaster (15 Minutes) and Big Thunder Mountain (10 Minutes). We did many rides 5 times each :D.

-Parade
At 5pm it was already getting dark and with the misty weather, the parade lights sparkled beautifully. There were fewer floats than in the past but it was really magical!

-Family and Friends
A trip to any Disney Park is an excellent opportunity to spend more time with family and friends. That's part of the magic for me. This trip was no exception .

All in all we had a great time and will be coming back in spring or summer. We'll try cutting back on trips to DLRP though to save the money for going to the international parks more frequently. Also, we can't really recommend staying in the Disney Hotels until they get a full refurbishment.

Best Regards,
Wuzefelix
Disneyland Resort Paris - last visit January 2013
Hong Kong Disneyland - last visit August 2011

---
Wuzefelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
cherrymarzipan
DIS Veteran

Welcome back! Glad you had a fantastic time overall and could appreciate the benefits low season brings. I'm a bit worried now about the Hotel New York though as we've just booked there. We stayed there about 12 years ago and it doesn't sound as if it has had any attention since then...
cherrymarzipan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
kizzabel
Eating poisonous apples since '86

Hi and welcome back. You've just gotten me so excited!! Off in 10 days and the lack of crowds sounds like bliss!! Also staying at HNY but I had a fab room back in May so fingers crossed for more of the same!
As regards the sales that is such a pity as you would expect better selection of items on sale.

Precious Trips:
2010:Santa Fe - March ** Newport - May 2011:Cheyenne - March ** Sequoia Lodge - November 2012:Hotel New York - May - Honeymoon ** Dream Castle - October 2013:Hotel New York - January ** Santa Fe - October

Upcoming Trips:
2014:Disneyland Hotel - May ** Newport - November 2015Cheyenne - March
kizzabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
Isila
There is a big beautiful tomorrow

Sad HNY was a low. We stayed twice and loved it both times. Envy about the crowds, would love to be in DLP at this time, but not so brave to go in January. Always think it's too cold!
Isila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #5
the_princess
DIS Veteran

Welcome back :-) I'm happy to hear about the crowd level. We are going tomorrow and I'm hoping for short waiting time on all the big rides...

MY DISNEY PICTURES
:
Holiday time at DL Tour Dec'13: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3210059

WDW & WWOHP Dec '11: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#26.0

WDW & SW Feb '13: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#30.0

MY DISNEY STAYS:
July '03-DLP Dec '03-DLP NPBC Sep '04-DLP SL Sep '05-DLP HNY Mar '07-WDW Offside (Comfort Inn) Dec '07-DLP SF Feb '08-DLP SL Oct '08-WDW Renaissance Resort SeaWorld, AKL & POR May '09-DLP SL Dec '09-DLP HNY July '10-DLR DLH Feb '11-DLP DLH Dec'11-WDW POR August'12-DLP.Jan'13-DLP Chyenne Feb'13-WDW PORDec'13-DL Offsite
the_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

I find it weird when people say there's so much disrepair on things around the parks I never noticed anything out of order when I went but maybe cause it was my first trip I didn't notice. One day I'd love to go to Tokyo I hear that one is AMAZING.

I'll have a closer look in about 100 days

Last edited by glenpreece; 01-12-2013 at 09:38 PM.
glenpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Welcome back, glad you had a good time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpreece View Post
I find it weird when people say there's so much disrepair on things around the parks I never noticed anything out of order when I went but maybe cause it was my first trip I didn't notice. One day I'd love to go to Tokyo I hear that one is AMAZING
I think I must have my rose-tinted specs on whenever I visit as I don't seem to notice things either.

Tokyo's on my bucket list too.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Disneyfanswicklow
Disney Fanatic!

Welcome back! Can't wait to read your trip report. I am returning to HNY in June have loved our last two stays there!

Jo Olivia
Disneyfanswicklow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.

I haven't noticed really either (outside a couple of things but then MK is a bit ick in places too), but then I think part of that is because I think DLRP is the prettiest of all the Disney Magic Kingdoms in the first place. Maybe that offsets it.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 AM   #10
markpsych
DIS Veteran

I've not really noticed poor maintenance either.....but this is definitely a common complaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzefelix View Post
-Food
Incredibly slow service and high prices at the counter service restaurants are not new to us. The disappointment this time was that the selection at the buffet restaurants was reduced to a bare minimum. While I'm certain they did it only because of the low crowd levels this week, we still paid the same prices as usual, so we expected similar value.
markpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
moorhunhe
Mouseketeer

I totally agree on the food issue.
The counter service (and in my experience, Videopolis mainly) is just awefull at times.
The wait is sometimes too long, even though there is only 2 people in front of you / not so crowded, and when it is finally your turn, the food sometimes isn't warm anymore at all :/

The price is quite enough for just some fries and a burger, and when it's (as good as) cold, it's really not enjoyable anymore.

DLRP 15x
moorhunhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

I think you notice it more in Paris as because of the weather the paint takes a greater battering than in Florida.

The sun might fade the couleurs a bit but all the rain, wind and cold affects things more.

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
Wuzefelix
Thinks of himself as the #1 Disney fan...like everyone else on here ;).

Thanks for all the comments!

Everyone who doesn't notice the disrepair should consider themselves lucky. Maybe it's because I have been going there a lot for the last 10 years and I know all the other parks, so it's easy to compare. I don't have the impression the weather in Paris is any rougher than in Tokyo though, so that's no excuse .

Despite all its problems, especially regarding maintenance, food and service quality, I still like Disneyland Resort Paris and we had a really good time there. Forgive me for I'm too lazy for a full trip report. I brought you some pictures I took from the parade and Disney Dreams to make up for that fact.

Enjoy:

View from our room at Hotel New York.

Our room.

The parade at dusk was magical.

Toy Story float.

Winnie the Pooh is sad for this is the only Disney Resort in the world where he doesn't have his own ride...

Still the most beautiful castle!

View from our hotel room at night.

Disney Dreams.

This is my favorite video effect on the castle!

Singing Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Un jour!!

Here you can see the water fountains they installed for Dreams.

They got lasers, too.

Disney Dreams is really magical.

It gets really hot with all the fire.

On my pictures it looks like they got a lot of fireworks but if you ask me it's not quite enough.

There's the whole gang.

Mickey hopes to see you soon.

Isn't Duffy lovable? I'm so glad they brought him to America and Europe.

Best Wishes,
Wuzefelix
Disneyland Resort Paris - last visit January 2013
Hong Kong Disneyland - last visit August 2011

---
Wuzefelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
mommy2ash
Has a Pooh pushin' Ash
It looks like lucky nugget is a must
I am totally blaming emma

i love your pictures!

its great that the highs outweighed the lows. i am another one that doesn't notice the disrepair that much. now and then i will spot a few things but on the whole i don't think it looks grotty. i can never understand why they cant clean the tea cups or why the peter pan queue line is always covered in graffitti though.

i agree with you about the counter service restaurants, more like lack of service most of the time lol. i have been standing there before willing them to move faster. it should only take a few seconds to put three or four items on a tray.

Disneyland Paris October 2008 - Santa Fe
Disneyland Paris February 2009 - Santa Fe
Disneyland Paris November 2009 - Santa Fe/Sequoia Lodge
Disneyland Paris March 2010 - Santa Fe
Disneyland Paris October 2010 - Santa Fe
Disneyland Paris Feb 2011- Santa Fe
Disneyland Paris Oct 2011 - Santa Fe
Disneyland Paris Oct 2012 - Cheyenne
Disneyland Paris June 2013 - Santa Fe
mommy2ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
DLPdaft
Cannot stop singing "Just like we dreeeeamed it"
Has a calming influence

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2ash View Post

i agree with you about the counter service restaurants, more like lack of service most of the time lol. i have been standing there before willing them to move faster. it should only take a few seconds to put three or four items on a tray.
I always think the slowest bit is before you get to the cashier - you know, all those folk in front of you (even if its only 2 ) who wait until the cashier asks them what they want before even looking at the menu boards? Oh and then theres always one who's gone into the queue for his/her family and has forgotten to ask one of them (who have gone off to get a table) what they want for dessert/to drink and so are sort of half in the queue half out of it, hollering across the restaurant trying to get their families attention, and holding up the whole line in the process .

And .... breathe .
Feb 07 Santa Fe, Oct 07 Santa Fe, Nov 07 Cheyenne, June 08 Explorers, Oct 08 surprise upgrade to the Newport Bay Club! May 09 Magic Circus, Dec 09 Santa Fe VIP, Oct 10 Santa Fe "Cars stylee", March 11 St Patricks Day Santa Fe, Nov 11 Dream Castle bonfire and Christmas, June 12 Dream Castle 20th Dreams, Feb 13 Santa Fe & Dreams, April 14 Santa Fe Spring Festival Fun
DLPdaft is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: