Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #1396
latexscooter
Be nice even if it takes some effort.

There's a lot of talk about requesting a specific long house on this thread. Am I nuts for not making a request? We did request third floor but that was it. My rationale is that a few years back we made a request for a stay at AKL for Arusha savannah. Well, when we checked in we not only didn't get our request, but were put in one of the trails that everyone said was the worst. Come to find out there was a watering hole just outside our balcony and we had every kind of animal outside 24/7. So my thought is maybe if I don't request this trip we'll get something special and unexpected. Is that stupid?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #1397
jandkmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexscooter View Post
There's a lot of talk about requesting a specific long house on this thread. Am I nuts for not making a request? We did request third floor but that was it. My rationale is that a few years back we made a request for a stay at AKL for Arusha savannah. Well, when we checked in we not only didn't get our request, but were put in one of the trails that everyone said was the worst. Come to find out there was a watering hole just outside our balcony and we had every kind of animal outside 24/7. So my thought is maybe if I don't request this trip we'll get something special and unexpected. Is that stupid?

Not stupid at all! All of the longhouses have their perks and I don't think there is a "bad" one. It just depends on if you have specific preferences: close to GCH or TTC, near the volcano or quiet pool, quiet, removed longhouse or near the action, etc. For me, we loved staying in Tokelau our first trip because of it's convenience and view of the quiet pool, but I would be happy anywhere, as long as I'm at the Poly!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #1398
jenniferma
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Honestly, I would not do this. Last trip I thought to myself I would do the same thing at the GF. We got the absolute worst room in the entire resort - first floor looking right smack into the back of the pool house vents. Did it ruin our trip - no, but I will never do it again! You have nothing to lose by requesting.. And there is a huge difference between the pool view rooms and the ones overlooking the parking lot. Same price. Just my 2 cents.. After last time, I will always request.

DH43, ME41, DD12, DD10 and DD7

Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #1399
gypsydoodlebug
Who DOESN'T love Fraggle Rock? I have to admit, Gobo Fraggle was kinda hot...
all of a sudden I sound like a Beverly Hillbilly??!?!
I can't tell the chicks from the dudes on here

Quote:

If you're unsure, take a quick walk-through before you check in and find what you think is the right view for you and then ask at the front desk.

**Newly minted VGF DVC members**
Old 01-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #1400
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:

There is no need at all to request a specific longhouse. If you are concerned about getting a bad view (which there aren't actually that many rooms at the Poly with horrible views) then you could make your request something like "third floor, facing pool" or "third floor, near beach".

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #1401
bonjovi
Mouseketeer

woohooo, it's official, our flights our booked! got airfare for all 4 of us for $647!!!! going from apr 23-29.

as far as PP requesting a longhouse, I would. our first time at the poly was apr. 2012. i was so happy to be there, I only wanted 3rd floor. well, we got the absolute worse view. Rapa Niue , facine the parking lot. while we did love the convenience to the TTC, this time, I am going to be a bit more specific, especially because we are paying more this time, due to lesser discounts and I do think the rooms/carpeting/soft goods need work.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #1402
whiporee
Earning My Ears

Just wanted to let folks know that we just got back, and Hawaii is definitely under renovations. Either that, or they've REALLY let it go to h***.

Had housekeeping and room service issues in Tahiti, but otherwise a great stay.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #1403
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Fanatics in the best possible way

I love the way everyone is so passionate about the Poly and I can't believe I'll be there for the first time next month.

Without boring you with the details, I'm going to be doing a split stay with my son at the Poly and then I'll move to a different resort when he leaves. (I just can't justify the cost of the Poly for one person.)

His return flight leaves at 8:30 PM so I assume he'll need to get ME about 5:30. If I don't get to see the Electrical Parade while I'm actually staying there I thought I'd see it the night he leaves. Two questions, 1. Any suggestions for where to hang out or what to do between 5:30 and 9? (He and I have reservations for Ohana the night before, so I think I'll just do a quick dinner). 2. I've never taken a taxi while at WDW, and I think that would be the best way to get to my new-not-improved resort . Where do I get a taxi from the Poly? If I have someone "call" it for me, who do I ask, and do I tip the "caller"?

Thanks.

<---- CL sounds divine. Maybe someday???? (Cost aside, it sounds perfect for a solo traveler.)

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #1404
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
I love the way everyone is so passionate about the Poly and I can't believe I'll be there for the first time next month.

Without boring you with the details, I'm going to be doing a split stay with my son at the Poly and then I'll move to a different resort when he leaves. (I just can't justify the cost of the Poly for one person.)

His return flight leaves at 8:30 PM so I assume he'll need to get ME about 5:30. If I don't get to see the Electrical Parade while I'm actually staying there I thought I'd see it the night he leaves. Two questions, 1. Any suggestions for where to hang out or what to do between 5:30 and 9? (He and I have reservations for Ohana the night before, so I think I'll just do a quick dinner). 2. I've never taken a taxi while at WDW, and I think that would be the best way to get to my new-not-improved resort . Where do I get a taxi from the Poly? If I have someone "call" it for me, who do I ask, and do I tip the "caller"?

Thanks.

<---- CL sounds divine. Maybe someday???? (Cost aside, it sounds perfect for a solo traveler.)
Hello! Just a few thoughts regarding your questions:

1) What to do between 5:30pm and 9pm. So many choices and depends on so many factors. Will you have energy at that point, or will you want to relax? Will you have park admission? Have you explored the monorail resorts yet? But first, dinner. I'd probably grab appetizers and a drink for my dinner at Tambu Lounge. After dinner, if you have energy and park admission, I'd do some shopping on Main Street in MK. (I rarely have the opportunity to do that and if I were on my own and that close to MK, that sounds nice.) If you have energy but no park admission or are interested in touring the monorail resorts, I'd hop on the monorail and explore GF and CR. (When staying at Poly, we like to hop over to GF, even though we've walked through many times before.) But without energy, I'd probably sit out by the pool or on the beach with a book until it gets too dark to read, do some final shopping at the Poly and then watch the parade.

2) Which resort? If not on the monorail, I'd say cab. Just go to the front where your son caught ME and the CM at the desk there should be able get a cab for you. When we do this, they rarely have to call - there are often cabs stopping by looking for passengers. And if they do need to call, it's usually just a few minutes.

Have a great time!!!
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

August 2014: Last Minute WDW (ASMu)
January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL, GF, BWI!)
August 2015: DL Half Marathon!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #1405
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferma View Post
Honestly, I would not do this. Last trip I thought to myself I would do the same thing at the GF. We got the absolute worst room in the entire resort - first floor looking right smack into the back of the pool house vents. Did it ruin our trip - no, but I will never do it again! You have nothing to lose by requesting.. And there is a huge difference between the pool view rooms and the ones overlooking the parking lot. Same price. Just my 2 cents.. After last time, I will always request.
OMG - I think we had the same room! It really is the worse view room at the GF.

Pixarmom - we are thinking of switching our resort for the beginning of our July trip from GF to Poly. Can't wait to hear your reviews! Have a magical trip.

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #1406
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
Pixarmom - we are thinking of switching our resort for the beginning of our July trip from GF to Poly. Can't wait to hear your reviews! Have a magical trip.
Hello Robyn!! So happy to see you here!!! We LOVE Poly. It was my original "home" resort beginning in 1983 and my absolute favorite until BC replaced it in 1992. But I'd say Poly is a close second to BC and so much fun! Our most recent Poly stay was in 2011 and we still love it. It's definitely a different feeling from BC and GF (although GF is the only deluxe we haven't stayed in yet - just walked around when staying at Poly.) But if you're thinking fun and tropical, Poly is your place.

The other things I love about it:

1) Dining. For a self-contained resort (in other words, no "walk around the lake" and into Epcot like at BC) it offers great dining options. I'm sure that over time, you've become familiar with all of them. Just have to say that the convenience of Captain Cook's is wonderful - it's my favorite resort CS. And last time we stayed there, it was open 24 hours.

2) Transportation. I love that we can catch the monorail direct to Epcot from TTC and direct to MK from either TTC or GCH. So no transfers to Epcot, like when staying at CR or GF. It's so convenient.

3) Views. You might be thinking CL, so this may not apply to your stay. (We were going to book CL, but it's down for rehab during our upcoming stay - boo!) But if you book a standard view, even the standard view at Poly can be of the lagoon or pool. I think it offers some of the best standard views around.
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

Old 01-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #1407
Abbyj
Earning My Ears

Hi Everyone! This thread (and this whole board) has been wonderful. We are planning our first trip to Disney since I was a kid in 1985!

We are staying at the Poly in late April/early May and have theme park view rooms. All I requested was a room with a balcony and to have connecting rooms with my parents. Should I be more specific about where I want to be? Although I have no idea where that is!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #1408
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbyj View Post
Hi Everyone! This thread (and this whole board) has been wonderful. We are planning our first trip to Disney since I was a kid in 1985!

We are staying at the Poly in late April/early May and have theme park view rooms. All I requested was a room with a balcony and to have connecting rooms with my parents. Should I be more specific about where I want to be? Although I have no idea where that is!
It depends on if there is something else that you would like in a longhouse. The majority of TPV rooms are in Tahiti & Tuvalu. Of the two I would say Tahiti is more popular, but Tuvalu is a bit of a hidden gem. We've stayed in it twice. There is really no beach between Tuvalu & the lagoon, so when you're in your room it feels like you're right out over the water. It is very close to the GCH (restaurants, shops, monorail platform) & the volcano pool. If you sit out at night you can often hear the music from the luau (but it's never loud enough that you can hear it in your room if the patio doors are shut). Tahiti, on the other hand, is on the other side of the resort, and is just a short walk to the TTC. It is bigger than Tuvalu, and has a nice beach along the lagoon.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #1409
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Hello Robyn!! So happy to see you here!!! We LOVE Poly. It was my original "home" resort beginning in 1983 and my absolute favorite until BC replaced it in 1992. But I'd say Poly is a close second to BC and so much fun! Our most recent Poly stay was in 2011 and we still love it. It's definitely a different feeling from BC and GF (although GF is the only deluxe we haven't stayed in yet - just walked around when staying at Poly.) But if you're thinking fun and tropical, Poly is your place.

The other things I love about it:

1) Dining. For a self-contained resort (in other words, no "walk around the lake" and into Epcot like at BC) it offers great dining options. I'm sure that over time, you've become familiar with all of them. Just have to say that the convenience of Captain Cook's is wonderful - it's my favorite resort CS. And last time we stayed there, it was open 24 hours.

2) Transportation. I love that we can catch the monorail direct to Epcot from TTC and direct to MK from either TTC or GCH. So no transfers to Epcot, like when staying at CR or GF. It's so convenient.

3) Views. You might be thinking CL, so this may not apply to your stay. (We were going to book CL, but it's down for rehab during our upcoming stay - boo!) But if you book a standard view, even the standard view at Poly can be of the lagoon or pool. I think it offers some of the best standard views around.
No CL this time! We had a great gv room a few years ago - Samoa, third floor volcano pool side. Hope for the same one or Fiji third floor! Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #1410
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
No CL this time! We had a great gv room a few years ago - Samoa, third floor volcano pool side. Hope for the same one or Fiji third floor! Can't wait to hear all about your trip.
Of course, you've stayed at Poly three times before - it says so right in your signature! And that was our most recent room, too! Samoa, third floor, volcano pool side. That's our request this time, too. I think our backup will be either Tokelau 3rd floor facing quiet pool or Fiji 3rd floor marina side. My only concern about Fiji is the Spirit of Aloha noise, but that marina view is amazing - can you believe it's "standard?"

Are you considering Poly because of the DVC construction over at GF?

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: