Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #151
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

Byob

In an earlier post there is mention that you can bring your own booze on board, and that is true, Disney is the last cruise line to embrace BYO, at least in private spaces. If you bring wine and want to bring the bottle to the dining table there is a huge corking fee on every bottle. Somewhere around $30 to $40, which could get me a six-pack of wine. You can bring a glass of wine anywhere from your room, because the origin of the glassful is unknown. And you can bring beer, but that is also hard to manage unless you bring exactly what they have on the ship, or constrain it to the room too.

Christi told me that on one of her Mom Cruises someone brought a whole cooler full of BYO beer into the sports bar for a game. Disney is not super thrilled about this. My friends who want to have a few over the night have developed a pattern of walking past the room and refilling when necessary.

My favorite way to go is to bring on good Bourbon or Scotch, and keep it in the room. The first night I get a highball or caipirinha (best mixed drink ever) and then keep the glass. Every night I fill my glass to the desired level and then roam freely with it. I just never drink the last ounce until I get back to the room. The waiters see i'm good, and the cleaners don't take a glass with stuff left in it.

The alternative, of course, is to ask you steward for bar-glasses of whatever style - but I prefer the caipirinha method.

Another alternative is to use one of the lidded coffee cups, then you could do a spiked coffee
BlueMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #152
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

Also for you first timers, I hinted at the Quest (Adult Event First Night), and that you have to go. If you want to have adult fun, the adults only party deck is a lot of fun all the nights. Pub night skits is also major fun.

Not sure if they still do country night and disco night, etc, but if so, that is another chance to dress up if your suit case has room. You could also double up the powder blue bell bottom suit for semi-formal night; and the cowboy hat and spurs for formal night.

Most every night they have had fantastic live bands and then DJ's for the late evening, and the party host staff has been very friendly. (Melissa you rock! )

Check the details on board to be sure, but the web site shows that Oceaneer's Club is open for free until Midnight every night. Way better than the $10 per hour we got dinged from 9p-12a on some other lines.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #153
QueenEleanor
Earning My Ears

Not a first timer....but don't know "Quest." What is it please?

Magic Mexican Reviera 2005
Magic Transatlantic 2007
Wonder Panama Canal 2012
Magic 8-night Bahamian 2013
Magic TCM Classic Movie 5-night 2013
QueenEleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #154
Mistylynn526
Earning My Ears

Can you also add my in-laws to the FE please?
Linda and Russell they are in cabin 7621

We are in Cabin 7620

Thanks so much!!!!
Mistylynn526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #155
Mistylynn526
Earning My Ears

Ok, I'm looking on etsy for a few things and came across a wavekeeper holder. What is a wavekeeper?

Thanks,
Misty
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #156
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenEleanor
Not a first timer....but don't know "Quest." What is it please?
I could tell you but that would ruin the fun. I will go so far, to assuage you, to tell you that it is a game show event. It is worth going to. I will see you there.

I am sure that you can research it online, or in other DIS chats, but don't. It's way cooler if you just show up.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #157
urbkols
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistylynn526 View Post
Ok, I'm looking on etsy for a few things and came across a wavekeeper holder. What is a wavekeeper?

Thanks,
Misty
Its a phone in your room. You can take it with you on the ship so if you are separated from your in laws or husband you can call them up on their phone to find out where they are. You can also use it on Castaway Cay. I just ordered a new FE holder from a lady on Etsy. PM if you need her name. She just made me a custom one because my daughter wanted Rapunzel on it!

urbkols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #158
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistylynn526

Thanks,
Misty
I did a quick search and saw another listing that had it as a Wave Phone Holder/Keeper. So the easy answer is that it is a phone holster.

Each room has two Wave Phones that are cordless phones attached to your room phone that you can take out and about around the ship to communicate. Disney has them, I presume to reduce the number of people who need to bring the walkie talkies. They are also a prime reason to have a power strip. Disney giveth a phone, and Disney taketh away your electric plugs on the desk to charge them. If memory serves, one of the phones is actually an extension of the room hardline, and the other is line 2. You may want to do a quick test for your needs and give the kids the correct handset. One time, Marina's friends kept bombing our cabin phone ringer trying to get her on the linked extension. Then we swapped her out to the line 2, and things got better. Another thing to think about is adding custom names to the phone memory, last time I remember having trouble clearing the memory, so it was easier just to dial from memory. If that has not been fixed, then by now every cabin may have every other cabin as a quick dial link. Last bit is that you can text on them, but it is the 1990's texting with the numeric keypad.

So for the holder/keeper/holster, the phone is about the size of an old 1990's Nokia Candy Bar Brick Phone, with a small screen and numeric pad. I don't remember it being bad to stick in a suit coat pocket, and my kids each took one most of the time anyway to connect with other kids club members. So if the people taking the phones don't have pockets or tend to lose things (that have $250 fee) or jump in the pool with things in their pocket (that have a $250 damage fee) then you may want one, or something like it. Looks like a simple sack with a carabinier attached.

Here is a quick link to a size comparison if you want to purchase a cheaper bag at walmart: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2629954
Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #159
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

Perhaps instead of 1990's I should have used the term "Turn of the Century" technology
Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #160
QueenEleanor
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMarlin View Post
I could tell you but that would ruin the fun. I will go so far, to assuage you, to tell you that it is a game show event. It is worth going to. I will see you there.

I am sure that you can research it online, or in other DIS chats, but don't. It's way cooler if you just show up.
OOOOOOhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Sounds fun. Count me in. I'll see you there!

Magic Mexican Reviera 2005
Magic Transatlantic 2007
Wonder Panama Canal 2012
Magic 8-night Bahamian 2013
Magic TCM Classic Movie 5-night 2013
QueenEleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #161
Mistylynn526
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMarlin
Perhaps instead of 1990's I should have used the term "Turn of the Century" technology
Thanks! I'm thinking it is the size of my husands still favorite ever Nokia cell phone

Also, will we all be added to the FE?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #162
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistylynn526

Thanks! I'm thinking it is the size of my husands still favorite ever Nokia cell phone

Also, will we all be added to the FE?
Wait, your DH and my DW may be having something in common here. Do you mean the blue and silver Nokia maybe 2610. Christi still has hers for when texting and smartphones phase back out for tablets and people start using a phone as a phone again.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #163
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quest is a great time! Everyone can participate.

Wave phone holders ......you don't really need them. You can keep it in your pocket or put in small bag or camera case.
The phone s do not ring. They only vibrate .erik keeps it in his pocket or we place it on the table we we can feel it.

Our teen will probably not even use it.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #164
Mistylynn526
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMarlin

Wait, your DH and my DW may be having something in common here. Do you mean the blue and silver Nokia maybe 2610. Christi still has hers for when texting and smartphones phase back out for tablets and people start using a phone as a phone again.
YES that is the one!!! He Had I bet 4-5 that he would get from people after they bought new phones! That's hilarious, they will have to share their love for the "best" phone ever made!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #165
Mistylynn526
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere
Quest is a great time! Everyone can participate.

Wave phone holders ......you don't really need them. You can keep it in your pocket or put in small bag or camera case.
The phone s do not ring. They only vibrate .erik keeps it in his pocket or we place it on the table we we can feel it.

Our teen will probably not even use it.
Ok, thanks! I didn't figure it was a need, but wasnt sure.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: