Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Hong Kong Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
PennyLane1084
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiPhnx View Post
Real life tidbit 1

One of my co-workers just asked me if I got anything cool in Hong Kong. Excitedly, I told her I got a hat that looks like Stitch is eating my head (I should take a pic to post).

She stared at me for a sec, then slowly said, "Right....You said you were going to Disneyland like, 50 times before you left."

Ahahah, my Disney obsession weirds people out.
That's awesome Yuki! Hater gonna hate! Can't wait to see the hat.
2013-DISNEYMOON! - Coronado Springs
DH - Steve Me - Kristin
PennyLane1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
OMG I'm super excited to read this!! You are SO lucky you got to go! I wanna see that Stitch eating your head hat as well. :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
I would definitely also be interested in seeing that hat

I get some weird looks occasionally relating to my Disney obsession too, but all the important people in my life have gotten used to it. I don't really care what the others think
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenshell75 View Post

I can't wait for photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane1084 View Post
That's awesome Yuki! Hater gonna hate! Can't wait to see the hat.
Ok, I'll post pics of the hat later tonight. It's super cute and believe it or not, even though I'm the Stitch-lover, it was Andrew that fell for the hat.
YukiPhnx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #18
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Getting There

I'm going to do things a little differently for this TR. I'm going to type up a post and insert photos later, at the end of the post. That way, I can still update at work even though photobucket is blocked, and y'all don't have to wait as long! Here it goes!

Our trip to HK was to visit family that lived in North Point on Hong Kong Island, so we chose to stay on Hong Kong Island to be close to them. We rented an apartment on www.airbnb.com. If you haven't already checked this site out, you should! I highly recommend it. Our apartment was a short 5 min walk away from the Wan Chai MTR station.

The park opens at 10am but as an experienced DISer, I knew to be there much earlier than that. I had initially planned to get there an hr ahead but am glad I got there at 9:30am instead. The MTR is a great way to get to HKDL because you get to ride the Disneyland train! A subway that is themed like the TDL monorail with Mickey windows, handle bars, and miniature statues of Disney characters.

We got to the Wan Chai station at 8:40am and got to the Disneyland station by 9:20am. Exactly 40 minutes. We saw a lot of other people on the train with us and started getting worried that maybe we showed up too late. It turns out the majority of the other passengers on the train at that time was just heading to work in the parks. The cast member entrance is actually right around the corner from the Disneyland station and we saw a lot of cast members disappear into the bush.

It was pretty interesting to pick out the other Disney fans amoungst us. They were the ones stopping to take pictures of everything while everyone walked by us. I saw a couple of solo Disney fans throughout the day, probably doing the same thing I was doing, and documenting every part of my trip in photos. Kindred spirits!

The hotels are situated very close to the Disneyland station, which is about a 10 min walk from the entrance of the park. I can't wait to explore them on future trips. So after you exit the station, you walk this long path with a fountain at the end. My favourites are Donald and Daisy's statues. After the fountain, you head to your right and towards the entrance of the park where you can buy park tickets if you haven't already done so.

There was no line when we got there at 9:30am. We bought tickets for us and my future sister-in-law's family. They didn't think the kids would be able to wait in line for 30mins at the gate, so they chose to show up closer to 10am. 9:30am seems like the perfect time to show up on a weekday if you want to be at the front of the gates. The crummy weather might also have something to do with that. It was VERY cold and windy on that day and never really warmed up. I would suggest to watch the weather reports and dress warmly. Hats and mittens are recommended.

This was my first time in a Disney park with small children in my group. My future neices are 5 and 3 and future nephew is 2. They were a very last minute addition to our group, having decided to fly to HK from Taiwan only a week before. I had to change my plans slightly to accommodate them and keep their needs in mind. I still had a great time and definitely did things I wouldn't usually have done!

Looking back on the station we just came from.

You can see the CM entrance to the right of this picture.

You can buy tickets here. If you bought online tickets, you can pick them up from kiosks located right behind these.

The gates are open!!!

I was expecting some sort of rope-drop show. This is all we got. Mickey and Minnie came out and waved to the crowd. A chosen family was given a key to Mainstreet USA? I have no idea because nothing was said to the crowd. Stuff just...happened. So I took pictures.

I LOVE this shot. Seeing all those people behind me in line.

Next up: Getting In

Last edited by YukiPhnx; 02-01-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #19
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Thanks for sharing that site. Seems like a great way to look for accommodation.

Looking forward to seeing how park entry went for you and the extended family.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #20
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to seeing the pics! Besides being annoying, it always amused me that work had blocked photobucket, but not facebook or any of the forums that I was part of, which were always a much bigger time waster

Anyway, back to your trip...

I loved the Disney train too, thought it was so cute with the Mickey windows! And the fountain - I like Donald and Pluto And I particularly loved not having to get up at the crack of dawn to go and line up to get into the park

The hotels are definitely worth checking out too for next time.

Looking forward to seeing how your trip is influenced by the kids in your party and what things you did that you wouldn't have normally done.

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #21
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

I love to see all the pics, Yuki! The fountain looks pretty cool, and so does the train! I would love to ride on that!

The pictures of the entrance and rope drop are cute, but it's a bit sad they did not announce anything.
Can' wait to see (and read) more!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #22
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Hey I remember that now about opening that there was something going on but I had no idea what

Great job getting such a good spot in line

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #23
BillyBuff
Got Ears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiPhnx View Post
Getting There

Our trip to HK was to visit family that lived in North Point on Hong Kong Island, so we chose to stay on Hong Kong Island to be close to them. We rented an apartment on www.airbnb.com. If you haven't already checked this site out, you should! I highly recommend it. Our apartment was a short 5 min walk away from the Wan Chai MTR station.

Thanks for the site! I'll check it out on my next visit to HK. Staying at my wife's parents place is fine but she thought it was annoying. I guess u know how Chinese parents talk to their kids right?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #24
jenshell75
Mouseketeer

I'm loving all the info and photos they are really giving me an idea on the layout of the park.

Any chance you can PM me with the actual hotel details I have checked out that site it looks great but I would feel better if I had a personal review of a particular hotel.

If you have any photo of your apartment I would love to see those

Me 37 DH 34 DD 7 DS 5
jenshell75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #25
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hi Yuki! I'm here and looking forward to seeing your HKDL report! Your wedding will be here before you know it. I'll bet you are busy making plans - I'll have to get over to your PTR - I've had a hard time keeping up lately.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #26
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Thanks for sharing that site. Seems like a great way to look for accommodation.

Looking forward to seeing how park entry went for you and the extended family.
Yes, Airbnb is a great way to find a place~ You should watch the video on their website. It explains a lot.

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing the pics! Besides being annoying, it always amused me that work had blocked photobucket, but not facebook or any of the forums that I was part of, which were always a much bigger time waster

Anyway, back to your trip...

I loved the Disney train too, thought it was so cute with the Mickey windows! And the fountain - I like Donald and Pluto And I particularly loved not having to get up at the crack of dawn to go and line up to get into the park

The hotels are definitely worth checking out too for next time.

Looking forward to seeing how your trip is influenced by the kids in your party and what things you did that you wouldn't have normally done.
Yeah, I was surprised I didn't need to be there an hr before opening too! But that might've been because it was a weekday and cold? I dunno about the summer vacation days

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
I love to see all the pics, Yuki! The fountain looks pretty cool, and so does the train! I would love to ride on that!

The pictures of the entrance and rope drop are cute, but it's a bit sad they did not announce anything.
Can' wait to see (and read) more!
Yeah, it was really weird. We just saw Mickey and Minnie wave to everyone. Then a family is taking pictures with them....There was nothing too special. Also, the train came by a couple of times which just made us more excited, but then nothing happened...
Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #27
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Quote:
Hey I remember that now about opening that there was something going on but I had no idea what

Great job getting such a good spot in line
Yeah...didn't there used to be a show at the castle? It was such an unceremonious opening.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBuff View Post
Thanks for the site! I'll check it out on my next visit to HK. Staying at my wife's parents place is fine but she thought it was annoying. I guess u know how Chinese parents talk to their kids right?
Airbnb is international, so you can check it for your next trip even if it isn't HK! In fact, I'm always on it, just to see what kind of properties people are putting up haha.

Yeah...I totally get that. I never want to move back in with my parents again, as much as I love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenshell75 View Post
I'm loving all the info and photos they are really giving me an idea on the layout of the park.

Any chance you can PM me with the actual hotel details I have checked out that site it looks great but I would feel better if I had a personal review of a particular hotel.

If you have any photo of your apartment I would love to see those
Sent you the PM! And thanks about the photos! My goal was to provide as much info as possible and pictures are so helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Hi Yuki! I'm here and looking forward to seeing your HKDL report! Your wedding will be here before you know it. I'll bet you are busy making plans - I'll have to get over to your PTR - I've had a hard time keeping up lately.
TAMMIE! I'm coming up on the 6-month mark for my wedding and I realize, I haven't done anything at all! Crunch time.

Don't worry about keeping up, I haven't been doing well with that either. I'm so happy that you're here.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Getting In

Andrew's sister and her family got to the gate at around 9:50am but a line of about 20 people were already behind me, so they decided to get in line instead of cutting in front of all those people.

The opening of the park was very unceremonious. I kept waiting for something to happen but nothing did. I once read that they did a show at the castle but I guess they don't anymore? So after I got my bag checked and went through the turnstiles, I took more pictures while I waited for his sister's family.

It was so wonderful to walk under the train station and see Mainstreet USA again. Sure, it's not the same as the one at The World, but it still gives me the same feeling of excitement. I took a LOT of pictures of this area. There's just so much to look at!

As soon as the kids got through, we headed to the firestation on the left of the entrance and rented some strollers for the kids. Even though the oldest was 5 and had no trouble walking, I knew a stroller would be a good idea for them. Unlike WDW, HKDL has no double strollers. So if you need 2, you just rent 2 singles. All the strollers have a sign at the back where you can write your child's name. I thought this was a great idea for identifying them!

While they were renting the strollers, I went up to the Town Hall next door to see if I could get any buttons. I loved having them in WDW and hadn't really read anything about them in HKDL. I also read about the Star Guest program but unfortunately, they only do that for a limited time.

Turns out, HKDL only has ONE button. A birthday button. For your actual birthday. The button says, "My birthday is today!" and they actually verify this with ID. This was kind of disappointing. I wish they'd add more buttons like at the other parks.

Andrew's sister's family decided to join us less than a week before our visit, so I had little time to prepare for going to the park with little ones. One thing I DID know was I had to hit Fantasyland and Toy Story Land first, so that's where we headed! As we were walking down Mainstreet, I saw a lot of people going into the stores and restaurants. I couldn't help but think, "You fools! (in a Gilbert Gottfried voice)". There will be plenty of time for that AFTER all the rides!

Ok, so one of the things I did that I wouldn't have done is head to Fantasyland first. If it were just me and Andrew, we would've high tailed it over to TSL first and them to TL for Space Mountain. Another thing is...I wouldn't have stopped to rent strollers? That part is pretty obvious but I'm glad I had the chance to find out more about buttons.

Some things I noticed. Andrew and I were the only ones with ears. Their selection of ears was pretty dismal. It was VERY COLD that day and we're from Toronto. We were very ill-equipped. Please keep in mind that the temperatures on Hong Kong Island and Lantau Island may differ because Lantau is a smaller island. The mountains around HKDL totally dwarf the castle and gives this park a totally different feeling.

Stroller rentals are here, to the right of the entrance.

That's my sister-in-law! And behind her is the Plaza Inn.

THE CASTLE!! It's definitely teeny compared to Cindy's castle.

Towards Mainstreet from the hub.

Through the castle we go, into Fantasyland!

Next up: Getting Shrunk

Last edited by YukiPhnx; 02-01-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #29
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear that Andrew's sister is not a line cutter I did generally find there to be more pushing and shoving in HK than the US, will be interested to see how you found it.

I think when we were there last there was some sort of show or something for the rope drop at the hub, in front of the castle. We were too far back to see though.

I love that Main Street USA is such a familiar place even in Asia. Will be interesting to see what happens in Shanghai as they're supposed to be getting something a bit different. I suppose if you're going to move to China you'll be spending a bit of time there

I love that you can write your kid's names on the strollers. That's a great idea!

I was fortunate enough last year to be there when the star guest program was on. It wasn't really anything that special, but I did get to wear the button I was disappointed that they didn't have honeymoon buttons!

My plan is to hit Grizzly Gulch first and make my way clockwise around the park from there. I'll be skipping most of Fantasyland though unless I find I have heaps of time to spare. It will definitely be my last point of call though.

I also noticed the lack of ears when I was there, and definitely felt like I stood out wearing mine and also being pale and blonde!

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING

Last edited by zanzibar138; 01-17-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #30
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

Quote:
Glad to hear that Andrew's sister is not a cutter I did generally find there to be more pushing and shoving in HK than the US, will be interested to see how you found it.

I think when we were there last there was some sort of show or something for the rope drop at the hub, in front of the castle. We were too far back to see though.

I love that Main Street USA is such a familiar place even in Asia. Will be interesting to see what happens in Shanghai as they're supposed to be getting something a bit different. I suppose if you're going to move to China you'll be spending a bit of time there

I love that you can write your kid's names on the strollers. That's a great idea!

I was fortunate enough last year to be there when the star guest program was on. It wasn't really anything that special, but I did get to wear the button I was disappointed that they didn't have honeymoon buttons!

My plan is to hit Grizzly Gulch first and make my way clockwise around the park from there. I'll be skipping most of Fantasyland though unless I find I have heaps of time to spare. It will definitely be my last point of call though.

I also noticed the lack of ears when I was there, and definitely felt like I stood out wearing mine and also being pale and blonde!
The pushing and shoving in Hong Kong and China in general I'm used to. I don't think I experienced as much of that during my visit because the park was so quiet. I imagine it gets worse when it gets busy.

If there was a show at the Hub, they were sure quiet about it. I didn't hear or see anything going on.

I won't be in Shanghai when it opens But we may extend our China stay just a bit....We're only going back so Andrew can get his mba which takes 2 yrs.

Yeah, I thought the signs were great too! I'll post some of the pictures I have of the strollers.

Yeah, I was hoping to get some buttons! It's too bad they don't even have generic buttons. I wonder why. What's wrong with creating a little more magic for your guests? The overall sense I got from CMs were, "I'm here to work and nothing else". I'll get more into HKDL CMs later.

Your clockwise plan sounds good.

Surprisingly, there were a couple of girls dressed Minnie-like, besides me. HKDL doesn't even sell the Minnie ears I have! They have very child-like ones but I guess that's what Chinese people like?

Haha, yes I'm sure you stood out by being Caucasian. We also saw a lot of Japanese people. Andrew's sister asked me why they would come here if they already have a park in Tokyo haha. I told her it might be because only HKDL has Toy Story Land and Grizzly Gulch. I WANTED to say, "It's Disney! Why not?"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: