Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #76
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

The more the merrier!

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #77
DVC-Landbaron
What Would Walt Do?

Yeah, well I might waste my time a little around here too.

Peter! I got this from another thread, but brought it here because I didn't want bog down the conversation there.

SO... A little game for you. Who said:
Quote:
How about simply returning to Walt's edict of "exceeding guests expectations."
Peter Pirate or DVC LandBaron?

And...

Quote:
"Stupid Tourists" is the operative term because that is definitely how Disney management sees it. Hopefully numbers will soon starkly tell them this but sadly I think the masses are simply too stupid. The Walmart-ing of America and Disney happily participates.
Peter Pirate or DVC LandBaron?

The answer to question #1 is - BOTH!!! DVC said it ten years ago, Peter (FINALLY!!!) said it just the other day!!!

The answer to question #2 is - PETER!!! But it encompasses the LandBaron's (and therefore Walt's) philosophy perfectly!!!!

Like the Genie said in Aladdin, "He can be taught!!" It just took a decade!!!!

Welcome to the dark side Mr. Pirate!!!!!

For the best "Disney Education" on the web go to: http://www.july171955.com/

Long live the Pirate!!
DVC-Landbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #78
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
I don't know if it's bitterness or a complete lack of self awareness and creativity. Either way, it's taking it's toll on the parks. Meg Crofton reminds me a LOT of Pressler/Harris. She seems to be cut from the exact same cloth. And they continue to do exactly what Presller/Harris did during their terms: Make big gift shops, throw huge..and pretty meaningless...marketing promotions and cash grab every penny they can...while not really paying much attention to the real reason people are coming through the turnstiles. Crofton is a marketing exec to the hilt...just like Pressler and Harris were really retail executives. Not one of the 3 seem to have had a good idea on how to run operations at a theme park/resort.

FLE is a nice exception...they've done a good job on that piece of MK. But it seems that was in spite of, not because of, the WDW Executives.

I think Lasseter's presence buys DLR a good decade, provided he doesn't get distracted by something else. There's been rumblings that the Disney board wants to move him up the chain of the executive structure, which might take DLR off his direct radar. Or it might not. Or he may have no interest in climbing the corporate ladder (considering, at this point, he has FU money in spades).
They must be listening....

Just like that, Crofton is out (sort of...she's no longer the WDW president, but she's still the president of parks and resort operations in the US) and the president of Disneland (George Kalogridis) is heading to Orlando.

Hopefully, that bodes well for Florida....
Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #79
larworth
DIS Veteran

WOW. Great to see so many old timers posting here again. Those early days of the Crusade were a really fun time.

Back then, I was riding shotgun in Car 2 1/2. Now that a decade has since passed, and there has been little in the interim to get inspired about, one almost canít help but be pushed into Car 3.

But I just canít bring myself to make the jump. I guess I am a hopeless romantic. Iím clinging to the hope that Carslandís success has helped move the pendulum a little in the right direction. That Quality is no longer viewed as something that only costs money. We have a CEO change coming up in a couple of years. Maybe, we get lucky and get someone who is willing take some risks that donít only revolve around smart phones.

The Car 3 brigade is pretty disorganized here these days. There is a "WDW1974" fellow on a different News and Rumors board that reminds me a lot of AV.
larworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #80
DVC-Landbaron
What Would Walt Do?

Quote:
There is a "WDW1974" fellow on a different News and Rumors board that reminds me a lot of AV.
Which Board? Invite him here. Sounds interesting.

Long live the Pirate!!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #81
hopemax
Note to Self: Please remember to bring your brain with you this time

We know of him, although you probably forgot. He used to post on Laughing Place for a long time, before the pixiedusters ran him off. Now he posts on WDW Magic.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #82
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
There are some very respectful posters still on the rumor boards such as figment, skier pete, locked out of logic that r respectful.
Hey I just noticed I was name-checked on page 1! Thanks for thinking I'm respectful. I try to be even when I disagree. I tend to be more forgiving/supportive than a lot of folks on the rumors board, but I don't think I "drink the Kool-Aid" I just think sometimes the things we get upset about on these boards are a bit silly. For example, the whole "Beer/Wine at Be Our Guest = End of the World".

Maybe it's because we don't spend all our vacation time at WDW, or maybe because we go at slower times, but we have not seen the "guest experience" really slip at all, or not noticably. Yeah, I agree that the PRICING has gone past ridiculous: Disney has more or less priced us out of being able to afford a trip without free dining in only 6 years. My income has gone up maybe 10-15 % in that time, while prices have gone up about 30 %. But as far as the experience, I don't see it. The food has rarely ever been great...you have to pick and choose your dining locations, but you always did. We have not had problems with ornery CMs or unclean bathrooms. In fact quite the opposite, the only rude CM experiences we've had were back in our pre-child trips in 1997/2000. I often wonder if its because I ALWAYS take a friendly attitude with the CMs - even if I am upset about something.

Back On Topic: So what does everyone think of Kalogridis being promoted/moved to WDW? Seems to me there's been a lot of folks that think he's done a pretty good job at DLR, and credit him with positive improvements there while at the same time blaming "corporate" for a lot of the negatives.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #83
ToddS
Mouseketeer

Holy cow, this is fantastic!! Another Voice, Landbaron, YoHo, Planogirl -- it's so cool to "see" you guys again! I am mostly a lurker, so my post count is pretty low, but I've been here over ten years, and I remember ALL those old threads that Hopemax posted links to (fantastic, btw! thanks Hope!) All this really makes me remember how great the board was back in the day, and how much it is lacking now. As Landbaron pointed out here, the discussion then was so much about the business philosophy, and was incredibly informed and incredibly interesting. Just wanted to take the opportunity to thank those I've listed here, as well as everyone else, for the countless hours of fun reads!

BTW, has Raidermatt checked in on this thread? He's another one that I remember providing a lot of good discussion here.
ToddS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #84
ToddS
Mouseketeer

That was post number 100, BTW. Like I said, not very impressive!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #85
ToddS
Mouseketeer

And I should have listed Skier Pete in there as well. Sorry Pete!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #86
Killer Fish
Mr. Hospitality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
That was post number 100, BTW. Like I said, not very impressive!
You are like me....mostly a lurker....but always enjoyed watching the conversations.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #87
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
And I should have listed Skier Pete in there as well. Sorry Pete!
Jeez! Did you, maybe, possibly, miss another Pete(r)? Sniff, sniff.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #88
DVC-Landbaron
What Would Walt Do?

Mr. Pirate!!! PETER!!! Old buddy!!

No acknowledgement of my post!!!???

Long live the Pirate!!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #89
DVC-Landbaron
What Would Walt Do?

And if you don't like what is above, Mr. Pirate, go to:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=63674

I nearly fell on the floor remembering that one!!!!

Long live the Pirate!!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #90
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC-Landbaron View Post
And if you don't like what is above, Mr. Pirate, go to:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=63674

I nearly fell on the floor remembering that one!!!!

Lol! Well, I certainly stand by THAT post!

Mr. Baron, it is true my opinions have wandered quite far from where they were and if pressed I happily admit that you and AV in particular battled me in such good form that things stuck with me as my personal breaking point came and went.

But to be fair, I did argue my points pretty well and do still believe that Eisner was more good than bad en totale. Certainly better than the clown in charge now and if you'll recall I supported giving him his fair shot at the time too. But Iger blew it real fast.

I never argued with you or anyone over Walt's genius nor the way he built everything around his ideals no matter what everyone else told him. Because of his integrity at last some semblance of his dreams can still be seen today, although it continues to diminish. I did always contend that Roy was instrumental in keeping Walt's dream alive and going despite the fact that he wasn't doing it for the "right reasons" per se, you weren't so sure.

Although I admit to changing cars it was more the decline Disney instituted in the all out abandonment of the true meaning of "Disney" as we all saw it, even though our degree of sight was different.

Our battles were fun and sometimes monumental. I had fun!
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: