Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

Discovery Cove--just how cold is the water?

I understand they keep the water cold for the dolphins. We're thinking of going in early May. Think we would need the wet suits then?
infopurposesonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Everyone's tolerance for "cold" is different than others, so that's hard to say.

In May, you might get air temperatures that are warm enough that you welcome a break in the cooler water.

You can always use a wetsuit for the dolphin swim portion, then switch to a vest for the warmer areas of the park like the lazy river and Freshwater Oasis.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #3
Yubbie
Devourer of Mickey's Premium Ice Cream Bars

Dolphin lagoon is 72 degrees, the grand reef is 77 degrees, and the fresh water pools are around 85 degrees.

Gina is correct in that everyone's definition of cold is different. But you will find the lagoon and reef to be on the chilly side, especially if you don't have much body fat. I'm a guy and I've done days with just swim trunks and the Discovery Cove vest and been fine. I've also done days with the wetsuit. The wetsuit can get uncomfortable and hot out of the water and you may find yourself a little on the cold side with just the swim vest.

My personal preference is to just wear swim wear and the DC vest, as I can always take a dip in the pool or lazy river to warm up. On another note, you can opt for just the vest and try things out and always go back for the wetsuit later if you want. The DC staff are excellent about catering to you!
Yubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

We have only ever been to DC in October and the temps were only high 70's low 80's. Not hot at all.

We all wore the shorty version of the wet suit.

To ME the dolphin water was EXTREMELY COLD but it seemed a bit warmer to me than the reef did. That reef water was the coldest water I have ever been in. I wasn't able to go out there and snorkel with my family because it was just too cold. I went out to my ankles and had to just get back out.

But DH and the kids snorkeled and loved swimming among the fish a rays so it was all that mattered. I mainly went to do to the Dolphin swim, and I did it. So I was good.

One piece of advise. I wouldn't go through the lazy river or especially not the fresh water warm oasis BEFORE doing the Dolphin swim because it will make the cold worse. Those areas have very warm soothing temps to the water. And it makes getting in that shockingly cold water even colder.

We had a pretty early Dolphin swim so after eating breakfast we went into the bird aviary to feed the birds. That was really neat because first thing in the morning they are all hungry and they will fly down onto your head or onto your arm. So we spent about a half an hour in there before our Dolphin swim.

If it was summer time and really hot outside I would keep the wet suit on for the dolphin swim and the snorkeling then I would change into the vest for the rest of the day.

I would like to go back just to have some more of their blackened grilled Talapia. I had it twice. We ate one breakfast and 2 different lunches a few hours apart.

You will love the park. It is amazing.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: